Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Healthy riding foods? (Read 3192 times)
Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Healthy riding foods?
10/31/13 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Hey folks,

I dont race but figured this would be the best place to ask since there are quite a few endurance racers around. My ride length has started to creep up to the 25-30+ mile mark and Im getting tired of eating granola and trail mix. I dont eat highly processed foods and try to stick to whole foods like veggies, fruits, and grains but they can be tough to pack for long days on the bike. Ive seen all the neon colored gooz, beans, gels, etc but I wont eat that stuff. Ive used my dehydrator to dry food for long distance backpacking trips but I dont want to burn out on that too. So what are some healthy, natural foods for long distance rides? Any good ideas/recipes? Thanks.  Smiley
« Last Edit: 10/31/13 at 9:18pm by Banjopickin »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Re: Healthy riding foods?
Reply #1 - 10/31/13 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
They are a bit processed, but I love me some Fig Newtons

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

slayemf
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 11/01/13 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Oatmeal in the morning with a Bannannna and a glass of OJ,, lunch PBNJ ,,ofcourse, and for dinner chicken...The End...Oh and lot's of water all day...and beer at nite.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #3 - 11/01/13 at 1:48am
Print Post  
I live on gels , Fig Newtons, and Stinger Waffles

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

madss
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 11/01/13 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Infinit powder, like real food but not really. can run all day on the stuff. I would guess if you wanted to go whole foods, simple dried bananas, jerky and water would work as long as you consumed enough but not to many calories/hr. I do 300 cals/22oz h2o/hr. everyone is different so you have to experiment with amounts.

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #5 - 11/01/13 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Potatoes!  Smiley

I don’t like sweet food much and was looking for alternatives to bars and gels which are always sweet and saw online about potatoes. There’s even a Youtube video about them (of course!). I get the little tiny yellow ones and boil them. Then while still warm I peel them, oil them and salt them. They keep well in your pack and the yellow ones are hardier and won’t smash as easy as white ones. The peel has lots of fiber and makes them harder to digest and the salt sticks better when they are peeled also. I was also putting parmesan cheese on them but that tends to get a little gooey and slimy after a few hours so I have pretty much stopped doing that. 

Alternately cheese tortellini works well too. Just boil it and eat it plain. It’s bite size, not messy and keeps well in a pack also. 

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 11/01/13 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 11/01/13 at 1:48am:
I live on gels , Fig Newtons, and Stinger Waffles

^^^this + beef jerky in the pack.

obviously I didn't have any with me last week, but usually it's in the pack...

Start planning the next route/trip?  Smiley

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

StretchASU
Small Cog

'Merica

Reply #7 - 11/01/13 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Any time I do a longer ride than my usual 10-12 after work I stick to most of the staples others have mentioned. I have yet to find anything that really settles well on the ol belly for pre-race foods so I stick to carbo/protein load the night before and do something light like a banana and/or some Raisin Bran morning of.  During hotter summer races/rides I do  use Hammer Endurolytes or Endurolytes Fizz to replenish my electrolytes.

Karate Monkey

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - 11/01/13 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Porter House steak and half bottle of ketchup the night before......................you'll be golden.

IP Logged

Oskie
In The Loop

Reply #9 - 11/02/13 at 2:52am
Print Post  
I haven't used this book, but it has recipes to make your own power bars and other easily eaten items: Skratch Labs Feed Zone Portables Cookbook 

IP Logged

slayemf
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 11/02/13 at 3:55am
Print Post  
I like crack,, I mean Coffee and RedBull,,, just enough coffee along with four bags of oatmeal and after some OJ and lot's of water,,,have a peanut butter bar of sandwich for long rides,,,also carry mandarin's,, gooc form of energy,,gift of the God of Sun...proper ,,,like one said it is all up to you and how you see it to make or break you to what seems fit for you...Just don't over carb....BONK...

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #11 - 11/02/13 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
So far dried fruit and veggies, granola, and p-nut butter are doing the job. I can tell that eventually that is going to get old though. Definitely going to try to potatoes, and I have an unhealthy amount of venison in the freezer that could be made into jerky. Those foods ought to keep the tank full for the most part. Im just going to mix up my fruits to keep it interesting. 

One thing that I wish I could find is an all-natural energy shot. Something like a GU pack or redbull that is not a bunch of chemicals mixed up. Would honey work? pure sugar? Someone told me that Chic-Fil-A used to have pure honey packets. Thoughts?

Also, what are some recovery foods that yall are using post-ride? for me its a p-nut butter sandwich and Pabst. 

...and whenever JR. Round up the gang and we'll go.
« Last Edit: 11/02/13 at 12:10pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #12 - 11/02/13 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
I have heard of other racers doing pure honey but for me it's just way way too sweet so I can't do it. You could try it though.

Here is a link to the video about the potatoes...

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #13 - 11/04/13 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
I've been using honey on longer rides for a few years now.  For me it has the same boosting effect as gels for me.  It has a medium glycemic index so it absorbs moderately fast, but will help sustain for a longer period than a pure glucose.  Each variety of honey has a different glycemic index, ranging from low to high, which affect the absorption rate.  I stock with middle of the road raw clover honey.  When it gets cold I cut it with a little water to help it flow out of the flask.  I'll go through two flasks on a double metric.   

I also have used potatoes successfully in the past year.  It has one of the higher glycemic index numbers of anything, and the pro racers call it rocket fuel.  For me it's easy to digest, and easy to chew and get down.  They got me through ORAMM.  If you're in a hurry and can't boil up a batch of taters, you can grab a can of white potatoes from the canned veggie isle at the store, salt them, and wrap them up in foil for a quick and easy booster.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #14 - 11/04/13 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Have used a bagel and peanut butter with a bit of honey for longer rides. Works well. Keep it in a zip lock bag. Cheap and easy.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 11/04/13 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 11/02/13 at 12:07pm:

Would honey work? pure sugar? Someone told me that Chic-Fil-A used to have pure honey packets. Thoughts?

Also, what are some recovery foods that yall are using post-ride?

Look into Agave Nectar.

I used to use the Gatorade 03 recovers, but it appears Gatorade changed all of the 03's to like a shake (which I've heard people say that milk chocolate is hands down the best recovery drink) and I have not used the 03's in "milkshake" form...

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

rokka23md
Coaster Bike

Reply #16 - 11/09/13 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Generation UCAN superstarch. This stuff is amazing.   

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #17 - 11/20/13 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
homemade energy bars. Basically almond flour (ground almonds) and puree'd dates. Add orange zest or chocolate chips or coconut flakes, berries, etc. 

They are fantastic.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #18 - 11/20/13 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
catsruletn wrote on 11/01/13 at 4:04pm:
Potatoes!  Smiley

I'll eat whatever... especially if it's free.

But the potato thing.  First ate them at LaRuta in 2004 when I was all like, "Potatoes?  Who eats potatoes while riding?"

And then I ate the tiny potatoes, and the tiny potatoes were good.

I have recreated them on occasion.  More planning than just buying gels, but soooooo yummy, and they warm up nicely in your jersey pocket.

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - 11/20/13 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
just burn one.........

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print