Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Healthy riding foods? (Read 3141 times)
SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Healthy riding foods?
Reply #20 - 11/20/13 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
then you'll eat evathang..... Undecided Undecided

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JoeT
Small Cog

Reply #21 - 11/20/13 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Burnt potatos are called home fries i think.
Potato pancakes on a ride? That could work

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

KB
Little Ring

listen to seger

Reply #22 - 11/21/13 at 1:41am
Print Post  
SCOTT_T wrote on 11/20/13 at 10:03pm:
just burn one.........

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
mills@southmaincycles.com
4 N. Main St. Belmont NC
704-825-8585
Santa Cruz-Giant-Banshee-Pivot-Vassago-Niner
IP Logged

MountainCycle
Big Ring

Unelite p***^. Heartbreak
lover.

Reply #23 - 11/22/13 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 11/02/13 at 12:07pm:
So far dried fruit and veggies, granola, and p-nut butter are doing the job. I can tell that eventually that is going to get old though. Definitely going to try to potatoes, and I have an unhealthy amount of venison in the freezer that could be made into jerky. Those foods ought to keep the tank full for the most part. Im just going to mix up my fruits to keep it interesting. 

One thing that I wish I could find is an all-natural energy shot. Something like a GU pack or redbull that is not a bunch of chemicals mixed up. Would honey work? pure sugar? Someone told me that Chic-Fil-A used to have pure honey packets. Thoughts?

Also, what are some recovery foods that yall are using post-ride? for me its a p-nut butter sandwich and Pabst. 

...and whenever JR. Round up the gang and we'll go.

I would like to purchase and then consume unhealthy amounts of venison jerky from your stash. Let me know when you have a bunch.

HotpinkHarorigidSpecializedEnduroFSRMountainCycleSanAndreasGaryFisherCobiaTrekSuperflyEliteCanfieldbrothersyelliscreamySantaCruzSuperlight29SurlyPugs nother'YelliScreamySalsaTimberjackYTJeffsy27

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #24 - 11/27/13 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
JR wrote on 11/04/13 at 4:31pm:

Look into Agave Nectar.

I ran out of honey before one race last year, and just figured I'd substitute some Agave nectar I had in the cupboard.  I was pounding that stuff at my normal intervals, but really felt lethargic and flat after.  I did some investigation afterward, comparing honey vs. agave, and it turns out that agave has a much much lower glycemic index than the honey I was using.  So it wasn't being absorbed into my system very fast, or as fast as the honey I was used to.  I'm sure it would be fine for something where you wanted a long slow release over time, but I wouldn't recommend it for a quick boost during a high intensity race.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #25 - 11/27/13 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
MountainCycle wrote on 11/22/13 at 2:29am:

I would like to purchase and then consume unhealthy amounts of venison jerky from your stash. Let me know when you have a bunch.

will do. Legally I cant sell you venison but a barter system could be established. I just cant seem to find the time to get into the woods as much this year. Ive been riding alot more this winter so thats probably why. More time on the bike...less time in the stand.

But Jan. 1st is fast approaching so its time to make some meat.

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #26 - 12/04/13 at 9:33am
Print Post  
+1 for honey. You can also add some cinnamon to flavor it. Good thing is raw/unpasteurized honey is good for you and produced locally by many bee keepers in the area.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

SWerks
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #27 - 12/05/13 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Oskie wrote on 11/02/13 at 2:52am:
I haven't used this book, but it has recipes to make your own power bars and other easily eaten items: Skratch Labs Feed Zone Portables Cookbook 

+1 - haven't bought the book but you can find a few of the recipes online.  Whole simple foods in small bite size portions.  Pretty good stuff.
« Last Edit: 12/05/13 at 12:32am by SWerks »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print