Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cranksgiving, 11/22-24 (Read 1235 times)
DursRemote
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Cranksgiving, 11/22-24
11/06/13 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This looks fun! I'm interested in doing one of the races, but not sure which one. Can anyone comment on the difference between the Super D and the enduro, or on what kind of trails are there at Paris Mountain? 

I don't have a 650B bike so the enduro might be out...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Re: Cranksgiving, 11/22-24
Reply #1 - 11/06/13 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
All you need is the Enduro (tm) sticker and you're back in! Even 29ers are claiming to  be Enduro! Whoa!!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

jnails
Coaster Bike

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #2 - 11/09/13 at 3:18am
Print Post  
The Super D is a timed course on a trail that is mostly downhill. The race will be on one trail that your going to get to do practice runs on. I think at Cranksgiving you get one run down it and it's 3-4 minutes long roughly (if they do Sulpher Springs Trail again).

The Enduro is a longer ride (I thought I heard 23 miles this year at Cranksgiving) where you are timed on multiple downhill sections. I think Cranksgiving is gonna have 4 timed sections. You will have to ride back up the hill between timed sections where you will not be timed. You won't get a chance to do any practice runs on this course.

Paris Mountain is a great place to ride. Not very technical except in a few spots. Can't remember the vert, but it's 1000-1400 maybe??? The ground is very loose over hardpack terrain. Can be a little slick, especially the drier it gets - like sandstone or something?

Should be a good time - I can't wait!!!

Check It: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

DursRemote
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 11/11/13 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the good info. I'll go ahead and do the Enduro, looks like much more racing for the same entry fee. I'll try to get out there before that weekend to ride the trails.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 11/11/13 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
I was looking at doing the Super D just for fun until I realized it was $59 for one run with this elevation profile:

Stupid IMO.

The Enduro looks like you get A LOT more for your money...

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

Russell N
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 11/11/13 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I'm planning on heading down! Anybody have an opinion on which bike I should use? 

Option 1: 130mm hardtail 29er yelli screamy

Option 2: 140/160mm Norco Sight 27.5

Would the heavier (prob just under 30lbs) bike be better or would the lighter hardtail do the trick? I haven't ridden down there but in most of the videos I saw the enduro looked like XC terrain. Any insight would be appreciated!!

IP Logged

DursRemote
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 11/12/13 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
I probably don't know much more than you, but my understanding was that because you're timed on the downhills and not on the climbs, the heavier full-suspension bike would be the one to choose. I have a pretty similar pair of bikes, and I'll be bringing the full squish.

Someone else might be able to chime in with a more educated opinion. Some sort of enduro-master would be perfect.

IP Logged

Russell N
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 11/12/13 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
I did the Pisgah Enduro on a Transition Covert and it felt like overkill, I think I would have been faster on the Yelli. The Norco is about the same weight but a more efficient bike. Hmmm.....

IP Logged

ryfly161
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 11/13/13 at 1:38am
Print Post  
I am thinking about doing the endro race on Sunday as well was thinking about doing the whole weekend as I will be in Greenville the whole week for thanksgiving. I then realized the clemson South Carolina game is sat so probably will only be doing the Sunday race.  If y'all make it shoot me a post and we will try to meet up

IP Logged

jnails
Coaster Bike

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #9 - 11/18/13 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Russell N wrote on 11/12/13 at 3:01pm:
I did the Pisgah Enduro on a Transition Covert and it felt like overkill, I think I would have been faster on the Yelli. The Norco is about the same weight but a more efficient bike. Hmmm.....

If it were me, I'd rock the Norco - especially for the Enduro Race as there are some sections you'll be able to take a faster line on the full squish.

If this helps I'm bringing my 135/140mm travel stumpy 29er and i have the choice of a hardtail as well. Just know I'm gonna save a few minutes over 4 different timed sections on the full squish. Your only timed on the DH sections after all.

Check It: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

DursRemote
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 12/06/13 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
This event was awesome. I raced the Enduro with a couple friends, we would do all the climbs together at a social pace then get released on the downhills a couple seconds apart. I know the E-word is a big fad right now so it's cool to hate on it, but it was the most enjoyable race I've ever done. Slow up, fast down made it feel like just a fun day riding in the mountains. I'd love to see more Charlotte presence there next year.

Pinkbike did a follow-up with lots of good pictures. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print