Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic "Is it ok to kill a cyclist?" (Read 783 times)
SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

"Is it ok to kill a cyclist?"
11/10/13 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Re: "Is it ok to kill a cyclist?"
Reply #1 - 11/10/13 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
In NC, the maximum penalty for misdemeanor death by vehicle is 60 days in jail. In SC it's little more than a slap on the wrist.

« Last Edit: 11/10/13 at 11:42pm by IntheBush »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #2 - 11/11/13 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I figured SC would give you bonus points.

IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 11/11/13 at 6:20am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 11/10/13 at 10:45pm:
In NC, the maximum penalty for misdemeanor death by vehicle is 60 days in jail. In SC it's little more than a slap on the wrist.

Thats BS plain and simple. Even if it were unintentional, i think the penalty for not paying attention while behind the wheel and taking someones life should be worth more than that.

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #4 - 11/11/13 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
In my humble opinion the prosecution should be just the same as hitting a pedestrian.  There are time that I will agree that the driver of a vehicle does not stand a chance at seeing someone on a bicycle.  Mostly at night, with no reflectors or lights.  Usually teenagers using bikes for transportation and whatnot......... Not cyclist.

IP Logged

superglide23
Small Cog

"Don't keep crawfish in
pockets without zippers."

Reply #5 - 11/11/13 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
the general attitude of most citizens:

"Laws do forbid reckless driving, gross negligence and vehicular manslaughter. The problem, according to Ray Thomas, a Portland, Ore., attorney who specializes in bike law, is that “jurors identify with drivers.” Convictions carry life-destroying penalties, up to six years in prison, Mr. Thomas pointed out, and jurors “just think, well, I could make the same mistake. So they don’t convict.” That’s why police officers and prosecutors don’t bother making arrests. Most cops spend their lives in cars, too, so that’s where their sympathies lie."

something to help change that:

"So here’s my proposal: Every time you get on a bike, from this moment forward, obey the letter of the law in every traffic exchange everywhere to help drivers (and police officers) view cyclists as predictable users of the road who deserve respect. And every time you get behind the wheel, remember that even the slightest inattention can maim or kill a human being enjoying a legitimate form of transportation. That alone will make the streets a little safer, although for now I’m sticking to the basement and maybe the occasional country road."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print