Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic how is Hickory City Park's Trails? (Read 872 times)
Impaler 58
Big Ring

how is Hickory City Park's Trails?
11/22/13 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
I don't live far from Hickory and was thinking of going to check out the trail. Anyone ride there?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Re: how is Hickory City Park's Trails?
Reply #1 - 11/23/13 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 11/22/13 at 11:21pm:
I don't live far from Hickory and was thinking of going to check out the trail. Anyone ride there?

If you live so close, go ride it and give us report when you get back.  Slacker...Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

PeterH
Coaster Bike

Rookie

Reply #2 - 11/24/13 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
We have two trails in HKY. Jacobs Fork Park off highway 10 and 321; accross from the target distribution hub is 2.1 miles. JFP is a lot like the lake Norman trails flowey and well maintained.  The Hickory park trails by the lake are technical and challenging. HP trails do not flow well but are fun once you know them well can be lots of fun.

IP Logged

Jim Clark

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 11/25/13 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
The trail at Jacob's Fork Park is really good.  It is well-maintained and has a lot of features in a short loop.  I'd do 3-4 laps there before I'd do the Hickory City Park trails.  There are a couple of sections at Hickory City where you can really open up, but for the most part it's pretty difficult because it's so packed in a relatively small area.  I will say, though, that the Scouts and others have done a lot of work on the Hickory City trails and they are much easier to navigate as a result.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 11/25/13 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Cool, and I have to say. Any trails with a craft brewery near by,are my favorite Wink

GTalk  
IP Logged

Bohica
Coaster Bike

If it ain't broke, break
it!

Reply #5 - 11/26/13 at 4:48am
Print Post  
I was at City Park a couple of weeks ago and it was in great shape, real lung burner. The leaves will make it all kinds of fun. Follow the yellow triangles once in the woods, trail head (City Park parking lot) is on the left once you pass the second drive way of the VFW. The trail crosses back and forth along the paved run/bike path that runs from City Park to Geitner Park. Look for painted arrows on the pavement that point to next trail section.

May ride it on Turkey Day or Friday while visiting the family, keep an eye out for a black Stumpjumper FSR 29er, with a old guy that sounds like a freight train under load, just keep an eye out for the green goo i'll be spittin...

Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29, Black Betty, Dos
Trek Top Fuel 8, Lucille
Fisher Ferrous 29er, Sweet Caroline
I am always on the lookout for my next bike
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 11/26/13 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
what are the trails like after it rains?

GTalk  
IP Logged

slopoke

Reply #7 - 11/26/13 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
I don't mean to upset anybody or hurt any feelings with somethings in this post. Cry
This is just an old school mtn bike trail. Cool
If you have ever rode any trails off of Hwy 181, I mean real mtn bike trails not the machine cut trails. Then you will know what to expect when you visit Hick park. It's not a groomed trail that you really should just ride a cycle cross bike on.  The trail will work you if you push hard. Take your time and enjoy the ride. There are roots, rocks, trees and anything that you will come across on a trail in the backwoods of the mountains.  Jacobs fork park is nice but it's just like most of the trails already in our area. Flat and smooth. Roll Eyes Road bike worthy? Shocked   
It's about 6 miles the lake loop may push it to 7 miles.
The lake loop is probably the toughest section.   
If you feel like it at the end of the trail, turn around and ride the trail backwards.
We have a couple of guys turning about 40-45 minute laps. 
If you catch one of the guys that ride Glen Hilton park, follow them and ride both trails.
Hick Park is my favorite trail. It reminds me of the backwoods trails in the mountains.
We tell everybody; "If you can ride here, then you can ride anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!" Grin

IP Logged

slopoke

Reply #8 - 11/26/13 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 11/26/13 at 4:07pm:
what are the trails like after it rains?

Sorry I forgot. The trail is pretty good. Leaves and roots are slicker then snot.

Beware of the 1st big bridge it will put you on your --- if you hit it fast. That is a promise. It's super slick when it's damp outside. Oh yeah about 6' above the creek.

IP Logged

Bohica
Coaster Bike

If it ain't broke, break
it!

Reply #9 - 11/27/13 at 4:15am
Print Post  
City Park is the sister trail to Poston in imho. It does get slick but with all the work that has been done over the last couple of years almost all of the really bad/sketchy sections are greatly improved or removed. The big bride is slick but the worst bridge was the ravine crossing behind the old Boy Scout cabin, that was a scary bridge when it was dry. Now it's a buried culvert pipe that you can fly across. Lake Loop splits off at the top of this hill, the hardest section of city park. You can ride into the lake if you misjudge a root crossing, once you make it across the bottom then you have to haul yourself back up to the top without loosing a lung or your bike.

City Park is a great trail! It has a little bit of everything. I've only ridden it backwards twice, in nine years, a whole different trail in the opposite direction. One was after a lot of rain like this, you better bring your big boy pants and pack a lunch, you'll crawl to the micro brewery after that ride. Olde Hickory Brewery's Christmas Ale should be out, best Christmas Brew in the area imho!
« Last Edit: 11/27/13 at 4:16am by Bohica »  

Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29, Black Betty, Dos
Trek Top Fuel 8, Lucille
Fisher Ferrous 29er, Sweet Caroline
I am always on the lookout for my next bike
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print