Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Car Break-ins @ BYT/PRP (Read 1140 times)
JR
Big Ring

Car Break-ins @ BYT/PRP
11/23/13 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Worker-Rider was informed by a security guard ( Queens Univ?) that there has been a rash of car break ins at the Marion Diehl lot, the Queens lot, and the PRP lots.

If you park there, lock up your vehicles and don't leave valuables in sight.

We don't need these lots turning into the Renni lots....
« Last Edit: 11/23/13 at 6:48pm by JR »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

PScherer79
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Car Break-ins @ BYT/PRP
Reply #1 - 11/23/13 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads up...

Wonder if they decided to venture from Renaissance to BYT/PRP?
« Last Edit: 11/23/13 at 9:46pm by PScherer79 »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Reply #2 - 11/23/13 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
There was a sign at Renni last week in the Tennis Court parking lot stating they had seen an increase in car break ins. Tis the season I'm afraid. Seems like the closer we get to the holidays the crooks start ramping things up.

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #3 - 11/23/13 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Seems that people are walking up the sidewalk from Queens to the MD parking lots and going to town. 4 in the MD parking lot 3 in Queens 3 in the back lot in the last 2 to 3 weeks. Even one of the guards had his car broken into. JR said he saw police in the lot. Has anyone else? I won't be parking in the lot anymore. Several other places to park if you know where. So hide your s##t! Like Ed said tis the season!

IP Logged

jaewilson
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 11/24/13 at 12:38am
Print Post  
We rode Renni yesterday and saw the warning signs up so I left and drove to my workplace down the road and put my electrical tools and ladder in the shop while we rode. I did leave the trunk rack on the car. Has anyone had a bike rack stolen yet?

For BYT I wonder if parking in the lot at that shopping center with the Ross on South Blvd would be any better for? It's about a mile from BYT. 

How are the cars being broken into? Broken windows or punched out locks? Our shop off Tyvola in that area had like 30 vans broken into. They punched out the locks and got away with probably $10,000 worth of stuff. This was about a year ago though.
« Last Edit: 11/24/13 at 12:52am by jaewilson »  

IP Logged

Oden
Project Board

Reply #5 - 11/24/13 at 1:25am
Print Post  
This is where I park to ride Renni

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Jocks & Jills shares the parking lot with a hotel. If you are feeling generous stop in to J&J or the hotel bar and grab a cold beer.  Smiley

As far as byt is concerned, park at the church (near the ranch style house) at the corner of Wedgewood & Tyvola. Or just park anywhere on any of the side streets in the vast farmbrook/wedgewood neighborhoods.
« Last Edit: 11/24/13 at 1:27am by Oden »  

IP Logged

PScherer79
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 11/24/13 at 1:43am
Print Post  
I've seen the signs at Renni for the past month. I've gone ahead and stopped parking by the baseball fields and instead park by the tennis courts. Feel more comfortable there will more cars around and people frequently walking by.

IP Logged

mwoodrow
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 11/24/13 at 2:59am
Print Post  
I figured it was only a matter of time that they would be hitting down there.  I would make the recommendation thats obvious, do not leave anything in plain sight.  Also remove the not so obvious, garage door openers.  A little while back the bad guys were taking just the garage door opener and registration to vehicles.  This means they would then go break in to your house since they know you arent there.  Out in Pineville we have been seeing this happening more and more recently.  Tis the season so take extra precautions.

IP Logged

Clinton
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 11/25/13 at 2:00am
Print Post  
I park at the house to ride to BYT, unfortunately, it's happened once or twice there over the past 5 years...just not while I'm riding.  Undecided

After having a vehicle broken into at the gym about 6-7 years ago I just don't leave valuables in my car.  The only thing locking your car guarantees you is a window to replace if someone wants your &^&^....don't leave your &^&^ in the car if you can in any way avoid it.

As for parking at BYT, there are a lot of residential roads that you can park on (just not at the trailhead).  Lot's of parking along Seneca, and some other roads on that side of Tyvola if you go look.
« Last Edit: 11/25/13 at 2:02am by Clinton »  

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 11/25/13 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Parked there today with no issue.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print