Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Racing etiquette? (Read 3887 times)
Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Racing etiquette?
12/17/13 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Well its about that time,

Im looking to get back into racing. My last race was at Cane Creek Park and that was over a decade ago. I havent "raced" a bike since 1998(I was 14yrs old) and my race skills are a little rusty. I'd like to do a few of the Winter Short Track series races just to see what its all about. Seems like a decent way to waste a Sunday and I might learn something too. But...I have no clue what proper race "etiquette" is. I would say that Im an average rider and mostly just ride for fun, but a little competition now and again never hurt nobody...So what Im wondering:

Is it the same as regular riding except your trying to pass everyone? 

How do you let folks pass you? Are you supposed to let folks pass you? 

Can I "put 'em in the wall" if they don't let me pass?

What should I bring with me (i.e. is it self supported)?

What are some general Do's and Dont's out on the race track?

Thanks folks

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Racing etiquette?
Reply #1 - 12/17/13 at 11:45pm
Print Post  

Is it the same as regular riding except your trying to pass everyone? - Depends on how you ride.  You will ride harder during a race than normal (you tend to push yourself more). 

How do you let folks pass you? Are you supposed to let folks pass you? - People will call their pass out.  You really don't have to do anything as it is up to them to make a clean pass.  The first half of the short track is fast and down hill, not much passing opportunities there.  The climb out of the woods is pretty tight, but passing could happen there.  Majority of the passing on the short track will be on the gravel road and parking lot.  Lots of opportunities to pass cleanly.

Can I "put 'em in the wall" if they don't let me pass? - I don't recomend that, please see above.  It is your responsibility to make a clean pass.  If the person in front of you is going that much slower than you then you shouldn't have a problem making a clean pass.  If your going about the same speed, no reason to wait for the fire road.  Only expection is the first lap if your towards the back, you will be pretty much following the pack until a the fire road.

What should I bring with me (i.e. is it self supported)? - What do you usually bring on a ride.  These races are short.  Water bottle or Camel back.  The Dirt Divas are usually serving some kind of food.  Last year I raced sport and single speed so I carried a change of cloths.  After the first race my cloths were wet from sweet and they got chilli in a hurry.  I changed in between races.

What are some general Do's and Dont's out on the race track?  Do's are to get there early enough to get registered and paid up before the race starts.  Easy for me to screw that up.  Big don't is to stay off the track when your race isn't going on, especially during the kids race.

I'm sure you will get some other replies.  The short track is a fun time with a good atmosphere.  As far as races go it is pretty laid back also.  Good way to get your feet wet again. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 12/18/13 at 1:44am
Print Post  
It helps to be wearing a full team kit.body suit would be the best. It allows you a free pass to the head of the line for food.................... Wink Grin

GTalk  
IP Logged

mlong623
In The Loop

Reply #3 - 12/18/13 at 3:14am
Print Post  
I don't pretend to be fast, I just pretend to race. 
Needless to say I expect to get lapped so I try to get out of the way of the faster guys. I'm not going to put myself in the ditch for anyone but I try to make their pass as easy as possible.

IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 12/18/13 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Ive never raced at all either, im thinking about trying this year since the races are only 30 minutes. I consider myself avg at best, so pushing myself hard for that 30 minutes should be interesting  Grin

Anybody else thinking about entering the beginner category want to set up a test ride to see how i might stack up against my competition?

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #5 - 12/18/13 at 11:56am
Print Post  
FireAnthem wrote on 12/18/13 at 7:36am:

Anybody else thinking about entering the beginner category want to set up a test ride to see how i might stack up against my competition?

I dont know what the categories are but Ill be either doing Sport/open or SS if they have them. I'll ride with ya anytime. I havent been on the short track, its all new to me.

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #6 - 12/18/13 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Just don't put the pink wheels in the wall. That's all I'm going to say about that Smiley

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

SalsaTodd
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 12/18/13 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Banjo... Yellowduck said it perfectly! The only other thing you need to bring is 

Common sense... That will get you through the etiquette part.

I've rode with you before at Shermans Branch SS ride, You will do fine! 

Prepare to get hooked on racing though. Cheesy

IP Logged

Pkniland19
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 12/18/13 at 4:27pm
Print Post  

At some point in my 20's I got fat and nobody told me, so I was thinking of entering the Beginner 30-39 this year.  I was going to head out there Saturday (12/21) morning if your interested?

Yeti SB5.5
SC Chameleon

IP Logged

DirtDan
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 12/18/13 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Ive never raced at all either, im thinking about trying this year since the races are only 30 minutes. I consider myself avg at best, so pushing myself hard for that 30 minutes should be interesting  Grin

I raced for the first time in the past Summer Series, but this will be my 1st time doing the Winter short track.  I'd be more than happy to get out w/you and anyone else to get familiar w/the short track and set some personal baselines.  I'll also be in a beginner class.  Friday or Saturday this week are open for me.  After that, it won't be until the 1st weekend of the new year that I'll be available to get down there.

Cheers!   Smiley

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 12/18/13 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
SS is a tough class. Very tough.

You would challenge yourself in sport in a good way and might be surprised how good you do.

For reference, when we rode Uwharrie back in the day, I came in 5th overall in beginner. You kicked my a$$.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #11 - 12/18/13 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
catsruletn wrote on 12/18/13 at 12:05pm:
Just don't put the pink wheels in the wall. That's all I'm going to say about that Smiley

No gaurantees.  Wink

The more help the better. I dont wanna pi  . everyone off and ruin a good time out there. Plus it would be good to push my riding level a bit while having a good time. How do the races go down? What's the structure of the divisions?

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 12/18/13 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
2014 Schedule
Category                                         Time       Duration       
XC 3 (Beginner) Men 19 - 29       10:00       30 Minutes       
XC 3 (Beginner) Men 30 - 39       10:01       30 Minutes       
CX 1/2 (Expert/ Sport) Women       10:40       45 Minutes      
XC 2 (Sport) Women                       10:41       45 Minutes      
XC 3 (Beginner)  Women               10:42       30 Minutes      
XC 2/3 Clydesdale                       11:30       30 Minutes       
XC 3 (Beginner) Men 40+               11:31       30 Minutes       
XC 2 (Sport) Men 19 - 39               12:10       45 Minutes       
XC 2 (Sport) Men 40+                  12:11       45 Minutes      
Single Speed                                  1:00        40 Minutes      
XC 2/3 Masters Men 50+               1:01               40 Minutes      
FREE Kids Race (under 8)               1:45               One Lap      
Juniors Boys 13 Under                  1:50               30 Minutes      
Juniors Boys 14 -18                       1:51               30 Minutes      
Juniors Girls                               1:52               30 Minutes       
CX 1 (Expert) Men                       2:40               60 Minutes       
CX 2 (Super Sport) Men               2:41               50 Minutes      

Looks like the schedule is differant this year.  Sport and Single Speed is back to back.
« Last Edit: 12/18/13 at 8:51pm by Yellowduck »  

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Pkniland19
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 12/18/13 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
This will be my first season and I was just curious what qualifies you for the XC 2/3 Clydesdale?

Yeti SB5.5
SC Chameleon

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #14 - 12/19/13 at 4:14am
Print Post  
If you want to be successful, worry about you and nobody else but you.

Success is not defined by placing,  I've finished 70th out of 70 racers and had a great experience in the process.

Oh and when racing, catching air = lost time.  Roll the water breaks

IP Logged

FireAnthem
Little Ring

Reply #15 - 12/19/13 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Banjo, Pkniland, Dan i can probably make saturday morning this week. I have to work friday night, let me make sure i can get off early enough to meet you guys up there. Ill get back with a definite answer tomorrow and hopefully we can get together.

Also for some of you that have done this series before, for a geared bike is the climbing more suited to stand-up mashing or seated climbing? Ive only been on the short track once, at least a year ago and dont remember much of it at all. Im assuming since its a short race youll want to just stand up and hammer the climbs and recover on the first downhill part of each lap? But who knows, im definitely not a "racey" guy  Grin
« Last Edit: 12/19/13 at 5:28am by FireAnthem »  

Anthem Build in Progress, to be finished sooner than later =)

IP Logged

Natedilla
Small Cog

Reply #16 - 12/19/13 at 5:44am
Print Post  
FireAnthem wrote on 12/19/13 at 5:21am:
Banjo, Pkniland, Dan i can probably make saturday morning this week. I have to work friday night, let me make sure i can get off early enough to meet you guys up there. Ill get back with a definite answer tomorrow and hopefully we can get together.

Also for some of you that have done this series before, for a geared bike is the climbing more suited to stand-up mashing or seated climbing? Ive only been on the short track once, at least a year ago and dont remember much of it at all. Im assuming since its a short race youll want to just stand up and hammer the climbs and recover on the first downhill part of each lap? But who knows, im definitely not a "racey" guy  Grin 

No stand up mashing. Almost a 1/2 mi of gradual climb. The rest a gradual descent. 

I'll be heading out Friday for 10-15 laps that afternoon. I'm a mid pack beginner class rider. Maybe a little better. Welcome to join

IP Logged

StretchASU
Small Cog

'Merica

Reply #17 - 12/19/13 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Natedilla wrote on 12/19/13 at 5:44am:

No stand up mashing. Almost a 1/2 mi of gradual climb. The rest a gradual descent. 

I'll be heading out Friday for 10-15 laps that afternoon. I'm a mid pack beginner class rider. Maybe a little better. Welcome to join

Sandbagger lol. You stop riding or something? You were killin it in your beginner class during Summer Series. 

I will keep an eye on this thread. I'll probably be bringing the bike home with me while I am down the 23-26th to see the family.

Karate Monkey

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #18 - 12/19/13 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 12/19/13 at 4:14am:

Oh and when racing, not catching air = bored spectators. 

Fixed it for you.

« Last Edit: 12/19/13 at 2:29pm by teamdicky »  

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #19 - 12/19/13 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
teamdicky wrote on 12/19/13 at 2:14pm:

Fixed it for you.

Any chance to get rad must be taken advantage of.  That is some strong beard work by that fella on the right...well done.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print