Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ride in the morning? Any takers? (Read 1414 times)
worker-rider
In The Loop

Ride in the morning? Any takers?
01/06/14 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Climber and I are going to be idots and go riding around 8:30. Meeting at MD for a slow ride. If you would like to be stupid pick a gear and come on out. You might only get 1 to work anyway and if you own a single speed you are already ahead of the game. We will be skipping the concrete culvert part. Should be like a bobsled run with ice in the bottom. Brought bike and such in the house to keep the shock oil warm along with the seat. It looks like rain later in the week so ride it while frozen please. Like I said slow ride with ALL my warm riding clothes full face and all. Rode in the mountains when I lived there when it was this cold. Had to pee on the pedals and derailleur to get them to work (tmi). But no peeing on anyone else's bike! That's just right. Don't bother with a pack tube will freeze, hot water in a bottle is the way to go. Idot out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

climber
Project Board

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Ride in the morning? Any takers?
Reply #1 - 01/07/14 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Is this some kind of a sick joke?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #2 - 01/07/14 at 1:31am
Print Post  
If I didn't have to work I would join you.  Cool

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

mwoodrow
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 01/07/14 at 1:53am
Print Post  
As much as I would love to ride, I am going to pull the fair weather rider card and not, actual feel will be in the single digits til at last 10am, yall have fun!!!

IP Logged

jonesn
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 01/07/14 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Happy frosted nutz! BURRRRRR!

Former Owner - Metro Cycle Messenger  Service in Downtown Charlotte N.C. (1997 - 2005) R.I.P.

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #5 - 01/07/14 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Did about 1/2. We both had to bail feet got tooooo cold. 2 trees down that we saw. 1 large and 1 small. I will talk with plant manager so I can drive in and get them. No use right now. When trail thaws it's going to be a mess. Looks like rain is on the way over the next couple of days. So no hurry to cut them out. Thanks climber for coming along for a poopsicle ride! Might go tomorrow also. Any takers? Beatty maybe?

IP Logged

climber
Project Board

Reply #6 - 01/07/14 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I can finally feel my feet.

IP Logged

nodamitch

Reply #7 - 01/07/14 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
well poop

ridin' in mah jammies

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 01/08/14 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Considering doing one of these tomorrow (Wed 1/8). Any takers?

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 01/08/14 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Beatty was good and crunchy hard today. Had the trail all to myself for once. Saw another biker in parking lot so I knew I wasn't totally nuts. I'd say its gonna be less than ideal after the thaw for a day or so though judging by the amount of icy crust I saw today. Before mid day or so Wednesday you should have a SOLID tread Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 01/08/14 at 1:49am by SurlyDave »  

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 01/08/14 at 2:03am
Print Post  
SurlyDave wrote on 01/08/14 at 1:44am:
Beatty was good and crunchy hard today. Had the trail all to myself for once. Saw another biker in parking lot so I knew I wasn't totally nuts. I'd say its gonna be less than ideal after the thaw for a day or so though judging by the amount of icy crust I saw today. Before mid day or so Wednesday you should have a SOLID tread Roll Eyes

Thanks. I plan on getting out there by about 9. It's not supposed to get above freezing until after 11 so I figured I'd have plenty of time.

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 01/08/14 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Should be fine then. There is a large dead tree trunk down just after the bridge at the end of the downhill section after the valley trail. Pack saw able I'd say if you have one. I was un equipped today. It was too long to just move but it is quite dead so should be easy to cut out.

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 01/08/14 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Sorry for the confusion, I'm riding BYT this morning. 9 MD lot.

-John Muir

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 01/08/14 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Rode it last night.  Riding SUPER fast.  2 BIG trees down on the first section.  I start working nights tomorrow, so I will be available to ride AMs in the future.

Ride to have fun and enjoy the scenery, not to set records…

Packed and ready to roll…
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 01/08/14 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Half-a-fork wrote on 01/08/14 at 12:47pm:
Rode it last night.  Riding SUPER fast.  2 BIG trees down on the first section.  I start working nights tomorrow, so I will be available to ride AMs in the future.

Was it thawed or refrozen or never thawed. I would have expected it to be sloppy yesterday afternoon.

-John Muir

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #15 - 01/08/14 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
When we rode it was about 25 degrees, so it was frozen.  Spots that are normally sloppy or slick were solid.  Spots that had previously been soft and had tire tracks were solid, and those were a little tricky if you were right in that groove.  Regardless it rode fast.  The only thing that got cold were my fingers.  I wear gloves and liners, but looking for better liners.  I used to use thinsulate liners when I skied, but having trouble finding them now.  Any suggestions?

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #16 - 01/08/14 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Frozen solid. Going to try chemical packs in shoes and a little tape. Heading to Sherman if it is open or
Beatty. Will post up if packs work. I will get trees next week.

IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Reply #17 - 01/08/14 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
I can help with the trees.  I can't lift anything heavy, but if there is something else I can do to assist, I will.  I start my new PM shift at work next week so I am available all day Monday and Tuesday, and until about noon Wed-Fri.

Thanks,

Justin

GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #18 - 01/09/14 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Thanks Justin for your interest in lending a hand. We might cut them out Sunday. We might also finish log ride at the same time. Not real sure yet depends on the weather. I used chemical packs under my toes in my shoes and taped off the top vents and laces getto but works quite well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print