Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) BYT a muddy mess. (Read 2527 times)
jaewilson
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: BYT a muddy mess.
Reply #20 - 01/13/14 at 1:52am
Print Post  
As someone pretty new to riding trails until I found this forum I just thought 24 hours after rain was good like the signs say. Now I check the home page to see what's good to ride, but there's only a few trails listed there. 

I can see how someone who is new could have no idea that they were being destructive. If they go to a trail and signs say respect the trails no riding for 24 hours after rain then they will probably ride if it's been 24 hours. If there was a sign that said "Trail Closed Don't Ride" in red letters with an orange cone or caution tape at the trail head I bet there would be less people on the trails while they were messy.

I know that would be a lot of work to do every time it rains but I'm sure a lot of people just don't know. Not everyone knows about this site.

I hope to get involved with trail work soon, got a lot on my plate right now but I'd love to come help out when I have time. I'm pretty handy with tools.
« Last Edit: 01/13/14 at 1:56am by jaewilson »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #21 - 01/13/14 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Was working the Valley Trail at Beatty yesterday before the game and saw one rider. He stopped briefly and looked sheepish/ guilty so I didn't give him a hard time. Looked a bit like a newbie - it's hard to tell what somone already knows or needs to be told. 

I remember well when I first started riding at Beatty - I thought the muddier I finished the more cool a ride I'd had. And I came in real muddy sometimes. Then I noticed someone was improving the trail, regularly ..... (It was Doug of course.)

There were a surprising number of walkers/ runners yesterday too. But the traffic shure stopped once the game started. Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #22 - 01/13/14 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
pajamajammyjam wrote on 01/12/14 at 3:25pm:
While you are correct about people shouldn't be out there riding today. You have no right to "kick" some A$$$$$e as you put it off the property or retaliate in anyway. I understand you guys do a lot of work out there and feel a sense of ownership but you really have no more than that "A$$$$$e". This is a slippery slope be careful. I know if someone got too aggressive with me about it I'd likely knock them on their ass

Who are you and why are you giving advice about the trails and trail work?  (Those are both serious and sarcastic questions, BTW. )
I think the mods need to check some IP addresses....
« Last Edit: 01/13/14 at 4:36pm by The Cycle Path »  

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #23 - 01/13/14 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
climber wrote on 01/12/14 at 9:26pm:

I think JR's characterization of the riders as azzholes is unfortunate and I wish he would not do that but the vast majority of riders out there are experienced and should know better.  It's not like some trails that are just crawling with new riders.  While you are right that they had no legal right to kick anyone out I think we all have an obligation to self police.  You should apply as much peer pressure as possible to riders that abuse the trail.   In addition, the people that work with the land managers to secure legal access, that have the vision and drive to build the trails and that toil away with the thankless job of maintaining them do have more "rights".  They have earned the right to determine whether trails are open or not and as a part of a community their desision should be respected.  As for any talk of violence, I would ask for calm.  Although I would caution you that JR was trained by Uncle Sam to kill people and Worker-rider is no stranger to bar fights.

+1

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #24 - 01/13/14 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Alright now fells and Rocky. First of all we do get thanked quite often and some people stop to help as Brian has stated. Then again I have had many many people say that they will help and send me contact info and nothing. These are the same people that I see riding ALL the time. Look I would like to ride more also and plan to at the end of the year. Second the 2 gentleman that we saw riding when it was to wet understood an KNEW they shouldn't be out riding. I cannot speak for JR and what he said to them as I saw them coming up the service road and asked them If they knew it was to wet to ride and I told them about the 24 hour rule. Their reply was "We knew it was to wet to ride" and that they knew about the 24 hour rule. I also asked them to come out and lend a hand if they wanted to but they just rode away. I was not mean or rude in any way. But I can be if I like. Third if any of you have ever spent countless hours working with the gubment like some of us do to get you these places to ride and also building relationships with these people to try and get more places for you to ride you might get it. Then the hours of work building and maintaining all these miles. Believe me I cant wait to ride by trail crews and know that I have put in more than my share of time and not feel guilty. I am sure they will be able to ask me if I can stop and help and I just might. I cant speak for all the trail coordinators/workers in our system but I do know that they would also like to be able to ride more and have more help. There are signs posted at the trailheads about the 24 hour rule, but I know that people don't get it and never will. I used to be one of the guilty ones years and years ago. Last thing if anyone would like to come out and knock me on my ass come on out. I have nothing to loose but you might. You know where I am a lot of the time and I ride a big blue Kona and a GT idrive. If not I can be found out working putting my money where my mouth is and building more fun stuff to ride. Some people need to step up and get calluses on their hands and not just their fingertips.

IP Logged

JR
Big Ring

Reply #25 - 01/13/14 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
worker-rider wrote on 01/13/14 at 5:56pm:
Alright now fells and Rocky. First of all we do get thanked quite often and some people stop to help as Brian has stated. Then again I have had many many people say that they will help and send me contact info and nothing. These are the same people that I see riding ALL the time. Look I would like to ride more also and plan to at the end of the year. Second the 2 gentleman that we saw riding when it was to wet understood an KNEW they shouldn't be out riding. I cannot speak for JR and what he said to them as I saw them coming up the service road and asked them If they knew it was to wet to ride and I told them about the 24 hour rule. Their reply was "We knew it was to wet to ride" and that they knew about the 24 hour rule. I also asked them to come out and lend a hand if they wanted to but they just rode away. I was not mean or rude in any way. But I can be if I like. Third if any of you have ever spent countless hours working with the gubment like some of us do to get you these places to ride and also building relationships with these people to try and get more places for you to ride you might get it. Then the hours of work building and maintaining all these miles. Believe me I cant wait to ride by trail crews and know that I have put in more than my share of time and not feel guilty. I am sure they will be able to ask me if I can stop and help and I just might. I cant speak for all the trail coordinators/workers in our system but I do know that they would also like to be able to ride more and have more help. There are signs posted at the trailheads about the 24 hour rule, but I know that people don't get it and never will. I used to be one of the guilty ones years and years ago. Last thing if anyone would like to come out and knock me on my ass come on out. I have nothing to loose but you might. You know where I am a lot of the time and I ride a big blue Kona and a GT idrive. If not I can be found out working putting my money where my mouth is and building more fun stuff to ride. Some people need to step up and get calluses on their hands and not just their fingertips.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"Don't rely on those who won't try"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print