Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Salsa Alternator Dropouts slip? (Read 1089 times)
sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Salsa Alternator Dropouts slip?
03/04/14 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I'm having a minor problem with my alternator dropouts.  The drive side slips every ride.  I hear a pop, usually in a low cadence situation and then when I check the 6mm fixing bolt after the ride it's loose.  Spec says torque to 8nm.  I've tried, 8, 9 and 10, but afraid to strip it so I haven't gone harder.  Anyone else have this problem?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: Salsa Alternator Dropouts slip?
Reply #1 - 03/04/14 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Mine have never slipped, but I have to admit, I have never torqued them with a torque wrench.  There should be a washer under the head of the bolt and I always tighten the top bolt after setting the chain tension.  Maybe we can plan a ride together and you can look at mine.  Terry

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 03/04/14 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Might can try some blue Locktite as long as the bolt is strong enough to break it loose without breaking when trying to back it off.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 03/15/14 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Loctite no help.  I'm a little desperate and disappointed. I thought these were supposed to be solid.  Salsa didn't call me back.

IP Logged

QueenCity Bicycles
In The Loop

Fight for your right to
Bike!

Reply #4 - 03/15/14 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
are you using star washers with the bolts?

Bart Stetler
QueenCity Bicycles
128 E Park Ave Suite A
Clt NC 28203
704-522-7006
bart@queencitybicycles.com
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 03/16/14 at 12:43am
Print Post  
I'm assuming you are referring to the cup washer that has the pattern on the bottom similar to a skewer.  If so then yes.  Looking at the frame it appears that there is an imprint of those ridges in a different spot on the frame.  I wonder if that imprint is causing it to slip.  Today it didn't slip.  I ignored the torque specs and just tightened it as tight as I dared.  I guess I'll have to over torque it from now on.

IP Logged

crackednipples
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 03/16/14 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I would not continue to over torque them...over time the bolt threads will start to stretch and deform the tapped threads....then pull them out or gale up when you try to remove nevt time. Are then M6? Go get some black grade 8 machine cap screws. Or as mentioned use some kind of serrated washed underneath to dig into the underlying material a bit. My Superfly SS used to do this too until I upgraded the bolts....and never went over 90in lb

Huh? Right. What? Uhh Huh? What? Right. Uhh

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 03/16/14 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
fortunately the threads are in the sliding dropout so if they are damaged they can be replaced.  i'm going to see if there is clearance for a nut on the backside to get some additional clamping action.

IP Logged

crackednipples
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 03/17/14 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Nice idea......

Huh? Right. What? Uhh Huh? What? Right. Uhh

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 08/11/14 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
I think I figured this out, but still doesn't exactly live up to the Alternator's reputation.

Yesterday the set screw on the drive site fully tapped out.  I was just riding along and it slipped again and I realized that the set screw was pushed out almost to the end of it's threads.  I unscrewed it and saw the threads still wrapped around it so I knew it was done.

My theory now is that it was stripped already and that the set screw would get pushed back leaving a gap in between the set screw and the frame it was to be pushing against.  Any large force would cause the set screw to crash against the frame (I've broken two of them) or cause the fixing bolts to slip.  Salsa says these bolts shouldn't slip and that the set screws aren't even necessary, but I have not remotely found that to be the case.  I ordered a new swing plate and we'll see if that resolves it.

Anyone with Alternators have any problems?
« Last Edit: 08/11/14 at 3:20pm by sager »  

IP Logged

timbercomp
Project Board

First Flight Bicycles

Reply #10 - 08/11/14 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 08/11/14 at 3:18pm:
I think I figured this out, but still doesn't exactly live up to the Alternator's reputation.

Anyone with Alternators have any problems?

We have sold a lot of Alternators and not had a problem with slippage.

Wes Davidson
First Flight Bicycles
wes@firstflightbikes.com
IP Logged

PBR Tallboy
Little Ring

I think the answer is.....BACON!

Reply #11 - 08/11/14 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Does the frame around the sliding area have frame paint on it? I had a similar problem trying to use a QR skewer on a frame with horizontal dropouts. I sanded down the paint, and I bought "knurled" washers. This worked for me. 

Washers

~Rides bikes for fun

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 08/11/14 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
The paint is basically removed in that area.  The Alternators use a "cup washer" that has knurling on it similar to a skewer.  The large fixing bolt sits in the cup and applies pressure to the frame.

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #13 - 08/12/14 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Never a problem with mine.  Got probably 2k miles on it now.  Sorry you have a problem with yours.  Terry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print