Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic 2 trees down on Salisbury Park trail (Read 482 times)
Shredder
Big Ring

2 trees down on Salisbury Park trail
03/10/14 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
First one is in the first turn of the trail, the second is on the Thunder Road. Trail otherwise in fine shape.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Re: 2 trees down on Salisbury Park trail
Reply #1 - 03/15/14 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
I have been out of town, I'll try to take care of these trees soon.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

GeneD

IP Logged

dc_mtnbkr

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 03/15/14 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
The pine down at first turn is taken care of. Between the bow saw and axe I got it most of the way cut in two. Fred and Jeff came by and helped complete the work. I think Fred & Jeff were going to check out the tree on TR.

By the way,  I had a spill on the two new 'jump' features at the bottom of the hill before the climb back to 'curve & swerve' (lake section). There's no ride around and you either have to hit it fast to make the jump or slow down enough to treat it like pump track humps. If you're caught at a speed in between, like I was, you're faced with going off trail or hitting the first hump and never making the second (I did the latter earlier today). 

In my opinion, this new 'feature' breaks the flow of that section of trail (and damn near broke my neck this morning).

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #3 - 03/15/14 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
I rode the trail this afternoon and, to my surprise, saw the jump that dc-Mtnbiker is describing .  This jump was built by some unknown person that is not authorized to make changes or additions to the trail (like it was in their back yard.)  The jump is on both sides of a "sometimes wet and sometimes dry" water overflow creek. These jumps are fun but should not be installed where they can wash away. As most Trailblazers Trail Builders have experienced, some people think they can do whatever they want without permission. This trail is on land owned by the Salisbury City Park. There is this thing called LIABILITY.  A person interested in making changes can talk to the Park Manager or any of park staff at that park (someone is there full-time) and they will give them my contact information. This jump will have to be altered, maybe dis-assembled.  Also, this small creek gets up considerably in a heavy rain and dissipates quickly.....the jump will be washed away.  I sometimes walk the trail after heavy rains to see how things are temporarily affected. 
This person is probably interested in a one time "build" but is not aware that it will be washed away and later require maintenance by someone other than themselves.  We want to make additions of "fun and challenging things" to the trail but it is difficult to get people to help. Changes to the trail must be controlled.  Help is always needed. With this said, I sincerely ask that the person that made the jump call me at 704-639-0009 and I would be happy to get with him to make long lasting changes, berms, banking, jumps or whatever.  I'll have to say I like people that have energy and a willingness to work on the trail.

GeneD

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print