Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic XT Levers with SLX Calipers? (Read 507 times)
csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

XT Levers with SLX Calipers?
03/14/14 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
So, I have SLX brakes, broke my right SLX levers, put an order in for new set of SLX Levers.  Vendor had stock issue and said they don't have anymore SLX but could give me the XT Levers for the same price.  Would it be possible to run XT Levers with SLX Calipers?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

TStroupe
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: XT Levers with SLX Calipers?
Reply #1 - 03/14/14 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Yeah you can.  Just make sure to use a new olive and barb.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

TStroupe
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 03/14/14 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Well on second thought you're not shortening the hose so you don't need a new barb and olive. Should be able to take the hose out of the slx lever and screw it straight into the xt lever.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #3 - 03/14/14 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply T, I've gone ahead and authorized the my vendor to go ahead and ship the XT levers.  Hopefully it's a painless swap.
« Last Edit: 03/14/14 at 2:35pm by csquared »  

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 03/14/14 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
It can be done in 60 seconds or less.  The XT lever will probably arrive sans mineral oil so you won't be able to get by without a bleed but the new style Shimano brakes are ridiculously simple to bleed.

For new, pre-bled brakes, If you're careful you won't even need to bleed the system as long as your hoses are the proper length.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #5 - 03/14/14 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Sound good, the brakes haven't been bled since last year so it's due anyways so guess I'll just get it all done in one go.  The weather is "finally" starting to cooperate so might as well get ready for the season.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print