Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) WWC Improvements (Read 12757 times)
fat-ass
Coaster Bike

WWC Improvements
04/02/14 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
I know threads go on forever around here about the trail efforts at the WWC. For once I would like to start a thread by saying how impressed I was yesterday by all of the thoughtful reroutes and the massive amount of quality trail improvements that has taken place out there since my last visit near the end of last year. Most may be aware on here but I must have missed the praise thread on the good work by the WWC. 
By far the most amount of quality improvement I have seen out there in 12 years. 

Props to the folks building and maintaining trail at the WWC. Thank you.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Re: WWC Improvements
Reply #1 - 04/02/14 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
I've been really impressed with all they have been doing out there too and am happy to see them putting so much effort into the trails lately.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #2 - 04/02/14 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I agree....

This year I don't mind paying the $40 to ride there....

Keep up the good work

IP Logged

battles2a5
Coaster Bike

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 04/02/14 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
I also have to agree. The new berm section out of the last climb on the north loop is awesome, so is the new Wedge trail. Thanks for all the hard work!

IP Logged

Big Chuck
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 04/02/14 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I had an awesome ride yesterday at WWC. I rode 10 different trails (North, Figure 8, South, Goat Hill, Carpet, Wedge Trail, Weigh Station, Toilet Bowl, Lake Loop and The East Trail). They were all in very good shape. My hats off to the guys that keep these trails up. Thanks for all your hard work and the great improvements.   Smiley

"By His Grace I Ride,Ride On"
Big Chuck
IP Logged

pughjetsound
Coaster Bike

motorbicycling

Reply #5 - 04/03/14 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Where is the wedge trail?

AIM  
IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 04/03/14 at 1:47am
Print Post  
I rode it today for the first time since the Wedge trail was put in.  All of the N and S Trails except for Toilet and the Lake loop and I agree there has been a lot of work done.  The work on the DS course is pretty good although the thorns got my arm on the way in...

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #7 - 04/03/14 at 9:27am
Print Post  
pughjetsound wrote on 04/03/14 at 1:47am:
Where is the wedge trail?

Between carpet and goat.  There is a sign now but for a while it was unmarked and unnamed.

IP Logged

Really Bad Eggz
Small Cog

Reply #8 - 04/04/14 at 4:08am
Print Post  
"Wedge" Section...South Trails - After Carpet lets out left onto the Jeep road headed toward Goat...just after the first pipeline clearing, the USNWC permanent obstacle with the cargo net rope....right at that obstacle, the trail now forks - right is the main trail, LEFT is Wedge and they had a sign up this week.

Kinda of a flat, dead start after the fork where tread still needs to be worn in...to a stepped curvy singletrack climb toward the power lines at the top of the hill...turns and heads back down the same distance to the river...first half of the downhill has berms and jumps, a couple jumps could get away from you on your first run, depending on your speed.  Connects back to the main trail opening up to the second gasline clearing left turn to approach Goat Hill.

Fun stuff...
« Last Edit: 04/04/14 at 4:11am by Really Bad Eggz »  

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #9 - 04/04/14 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Good thread which has revived my interest in gong back to WWC, I have not been there in 9 months.  Sounds like I'll see some new stuff.  It's over an hour's ride from Salisbury and there are several good  trails closer.  
ps  Still missing to Poplar Tent.

GeneD

IP Logged

853stolen
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #10 - 04/04/14 at 10:23am
Print Post  
What's the best tire for pine needles, because you'll need it there?

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"
Albert Einstein
YIM  
IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 04/04/14 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
853stolen wrote on 04/04/14 at 10:23am:
What's the best tire for pine needles, because you'll need it there?

I will say that traction was a big issue there for me.  I am running some pretty agressive knobs front and rear and they did NOT like the dry hard packed clay.

IP Logged

fat-ass
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 04/05/14 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Even more new single track to ride today at the top of the point trail. .5 mile-ish?. Place is rocking!

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #13 - 04/05/14 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Been wantin' to get there for a long time, almost a year or more. Ya'll got me, I'm goin tomorrow!!

Lee, have you guys put in any trail counters? It would be interested to see how much extra traffic your new improvements may be driving to the trail. Thanks for work - excited to see it all.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

isitwinteryet
Big Ring

in soviet russia, bike
steal you!

Reply #14 - 04/07/14 at 1:45am
Print Post  
get rid of the parking fee, that would be an improvement LOL  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #15 - 04/07/14 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Wow! The USNWC trail has always been one of the best in the area. Have you ever thought what you could do at the USNWC property to make it an even better place to ride? Well Lee and some of the WW staff have, and have made some great improvements.   

As mentioned above, the top of the point extension and the new "exit" out of the North Trail have almost eliminated all of the double-track on the North side. When you get to the top of the new Wedge, take a detour to run down the new "Giant Slalom" on the open gas line to your left (then re-climb the Wedge) (And watch out for the last jump - be sure to hit it!). The "dual", now single, slalom is quite cool and the re-work around the connection of Weight Station and Toilet Bowl is nice too. Oh, and the connector from below the parking lot to the WW channel is almost completely new. I hear tell that a new downhill - flow section is close to opening on the North end as well. Several new berms and lots of drainage work is evident. Really great upgrades! 

Check it out if you've been away for a while like me. I'll be back soon, and often.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Tjkraft

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #16 - 04/11/14 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Echo all of the sentiments here. Rode the whole trail system for the first time this year and was very impressed by all of the additions and improvements. Can't wait to get back out there again!

IP Logged

NCtrail4R
Small Cog

Ready For Some Time Off

Reply #17 - 04/11/14 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Has the thread trail opened back up, or does anyone know when it will?

Bike / Hike / Drive / Explore - Just Want to Get Outside!

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #18 - 04/11/14 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Lee its been 2 years or so for me riding there. I need to come down and check it out. How many miles total are on the ground now?

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #19 - 04/12/14 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Strava shows about 15 riding everything once.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print