Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Threads coming off my sidewall (road tire) (Read 639 times)
Ridefour15
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Threads coming off my sidewall (road tire)
04/27/14 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I've noticed small pieces coming off my front tire for a few months now but didn't realize how bad it was until I gave my bike a good once-over this weekend as part of regular maintenance.  Some areas it looks like the rubber might split, but "looks like it will split" and "will split" are obviously two different things.

I've owned the tire for a few years (bought it originally as a back-up) and it currently has about 5100 miles as a front-only tire, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was well over 5 years old considering the way inventory was managed at the shop I bought it from.

Threads are still coming off it.  Rubber is starting to show signs of dry rot (but that seems to happen to all higher mileage tires for me), so I don't know how abnormal this is.  I'm starting to worry the sidewall is just going to blow out on my one day sending me OTB.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

How worried should I be?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Re: Threads coming off my sidewall (road tire)
Reply #1 - 04/27/14 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
That is common with the older Grand Prix tires and with older Conti road tires in my experience from using them for the last 15 years. 
You can still use the tire but if it makes you nervous then in my opinion why even ask just go get another tire. The new tires (in the last 4 years) do not seem to do this as much and the compound is much better for the traction but not sure about durability I tend to use them for about a year or two at the most. If your looking for a higher mileage tire then you may like the Sport Contact or the Gran Prix 4 season or the GT from Conti.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

ciao
Santana

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 04/27/14 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
I see it alot with Conti 4000. I have yet to ever wear one out. THe sidewalls usualy get knicked and start hemoraging, or the threads syndrom kicks in to the point they look scarey. I wont buy anymore.

I switched over to the Rubino Pros in 25c. THey are not as racey, and they excell at nothing, but they do everything GOOD. They seeem to hold up excellant on the sidewalls. Wear is good. cornering is good,  and with some careful shopping, they are more than 1/2 the price. I don't need a race tire, I just need a good durable tire that does not  roll like a garden hose.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 04/28/14 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Well if it is a common thing then I'll probably keep riding it for a while.   

I love these tires so much but they do get cut pretty easily.  Both front and rear have mini slices and mystery gouges all over them, and this very same front tire has a slit in the sidewall that's being booted by two layers of duct tape (and has been for probably 2500+ miles).

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #4 - 04/28/14 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Dude I will give you a couple used tires if you want.

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 04/28/14 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
I can afford a new tire, although I appreciate the offer. I'm just stubborn and don't like replacing things until they're completely worn out or broken Smiley

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #6 - 04/28/14 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
quote author=6B707D7C7F766C6B282C190 link=1398628723/5#5 date=1398688277]I can afford a new tire, although I appreciate the offer. I'm just stubborn and don't like replacing things until they're completely worn out or broken Smiley [/quote]

I think you have reached both points on your wear out scale. How is your health insurance?
Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: 04/28/14 at 2:46pm by Tom F »  

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #7 - 04/28/14 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Probably won't cover a new face. I think I'll be stopping by a shop on the way home from work today just for peace of mind

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print