Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Avid to XTs - only half the rotor is grabbed (Read 1073 times)
Ridefour15
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Avid to XTs - only half the rotor is grabbed
05/04/14 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I switched from Elixirs to XTs about a month and a half ago, reusing all the Avid hardware without issue.  Brakes worked very well for the 90 miles I have used them thus far.

I noticed today, however, that both the front and back brakes are only grabbing the outermost "half" of the braking surface of each rotor.  The front does not have any spacers, but the rear has "20mm top" and "20mm bottom" spacers that were used with the Avids; the Avid calipers did come in complete contact with the rotor.  Both calipers are post mount, not IS mount.

Is this common when switching brands of brakes?  I'm fairly certain I can get different spacers for the rear brake, but the front brake has nothing except those angle-adjusting washers.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Re: Avid to XTs - only half the rotor is grabbed
Reply #1 - 05/04/14 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
A few questions:

1. What brand, model fork? 20mm TA, 15mm TA, or 9mm QR? What size rotor on the front? Post mount, right?

I usually recommend a particular manufacturers adapters and rotors when switching from Avids to another brand. You can get away with not doing it but you have to make sure the edge of the rotor comes to the outer edge of the pad or a bit more.

Without seeing it, its hard to tell exactly what's wrong. If you're in the area I'd be glad to take a look at it for ya. Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 05/06/14 at 1:46am
Print Post  
It's a Rock Shox Reba with I believe a 15mm axle (Maxle?  All these axle standards confuse the hell out of me).  Bike is a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp and all the non-drivetrain and brake parts are stock.( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links))

Rotors are 160mm front and rear.

I can post some pictures tomorrow.

I don't think I'll have time to hit the trails in the next week or two but the next time I do I could probably make a trip up to Fisher and stop by the shop, I've been meaning to check it out anyways!

IP Logged

REDoerr

Reply #3 - 05/07/14 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Okay you really had me stumped (no pun intended) on with this one.  I believed though I know what is going on.   

For disc brakes there are two mounting styles I.S. or Post Mount (PM).  Your bike has PM front and rear.  The rear PM however can come in PM 140 or PM 160, your bike has PM 140 mounts in the rear.  All this means is that if you have a 140mm (the 140 in PM 140) rotor on the rear you can mount the caliper directly to the frame with no adapter.   

Anyway back to your problem.  Avid's method for caliper alignment is CPS, it uses spherical washers on both sides of the caliper (see the attached picture). 

Shimano brakes DO NOT used spherical washers on the mount side for 160mm rotors.  If I am correct you are reusing the Avid CPS hardware and it is moving the calipers out too far and thus why the calipers are only clamping down on half the rotor width.

Since you have PM 140 rear mounts you will need to use the spacers that were used with the Avid brakes.  The spacers should move the caliper out 10mm (the difference between 160 and 140 is 20mm but the caliper only has to move half that distance).   

I would be skeptical (or careful) about trying to use the Avid spherical washers on the bolt side of the caliper.  My concern would be the length of the caliper bolts, if they are too long the caliper will not be secured properly or worst case you could damage the fork or frame.  If the caliper bolts are too short the bolts can rip out the threads by not being engaged enough.   

The XTs should have come with mounting bolts and plastic caps (which is cool little safety item).   

Also, remember to tighten the caliper bolts to the correct torqued, 53-69 inch-pounds I beleive.

I hope that helps you out. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) avid-cps.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

REDoerr

Reply #4 - 05/07/14 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
UPDATE

I did a little more research.  If you follow what I posted before you should have no issue on the front brake.   

The rear brake however may still be an issue.  The Avid post spacers are specific to Avid brakes so using them with the XTs may not fix your issue.  From your email they seem to moving the caliper out too far.  Since I cannot see how the rear XT is installed I can only suggest this. 

Install the Avid post mount spacers and XT brake (no spherical washer between the brake and spacer).

Check to see if the brake is will contact the entire braking surface.

Estimate how far the brake needs to move inward or outward.

If you need to move the brakes inward Avid does sell a CPS 10S adapter kit.  The spacers in that kit are 5mm shorter that the ones in the 20S kit.   

If you don't need to move the brake outward then you can place a flat washers between the spacer and brake and get the brake to contact the rotor properly.   

If you run into bolt length issues just use some washers as well. 

My preferred method for your issue would be a Shimano specific adapter but since one does not seem to be available the solution will work but it is not ideal.   

The Avid adapters are avialble from Amazon, it needs to be a CPS 10s and not a 10s.   

IP Logged

QueenCity Bicycles
In The Loop

Fight for your right to
Bike!

Reply #5 - 05/07/14 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
better check your brake pads for wear. you may be able to remove all the spacers and conical washers and use the avid adapters but your best bet is get some shimano's or even hayes adapters

Bart Stetler
QueenCity Bicycles
128 E Park Ave Suite A
Clt NC 28203
704-522-7006
bart@queencitybicycles.com
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #6 - 05/08/14 at 5:03am
Print Post  
Don't use any of the Avid hardware for the front, except the bolts and it should work fine. The rear will need a PM 140 to 160 adapter for the rear.

IP Logged

REDoerr

Reply #7 - 05/08/14 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I have a final update for you.  As I said before you should have no issues with the front brake, it mounts directly to the fork (no washers, shims, etc. should be used).   

As far as the rear goes I believe this is the issue.

Assumptions: You are using Avid CPS 20S spacers and 160mm rotors.   

The Avid spacers you have are approximately 17.5mm (upper) and 12.5mm (lower).  If you install the XT brakes with just these the brake will be 5mm to far away from the rotor.  If you install the XT brake with the spacers and the spherical washers the brake will be even further away from the rotor.   

What I said yesterday will work.  If you install the XT brake with the Avid CPS 10S adapters (12.5mm and 7.5mm) it will work.   

The preferred solution would be to use a Shimano adapter but you will not find one that specifically states it is for REAR PM140 to PM160 (at least I can't find one).   

However, you can use a Shimano front 160mm to 180mm post mount adapter. Shimano part number SM-MA-F180P/P2.  Available online for sure but you may be able to find one at a LBS.

It will work properly don't worry. Here is why. 

The PM 140 mounts on your bike as I said before allow you to use a 140mm rotor and mount a brake directly to the frame with no adapters.  To mount larger rotors you need to move the brake out and why you need spacers or an adpater.   

Using a 160mm rotor with a PM 140 mounts, the change is 20mm.  That is no different than going from a 160mm to 180mmm rotor on the front (mountain fork post mounts use 160mm rotors as the base).  The increase in either case is 20mm.  The spacers or adapter in either case will be the same.   

Also, I checked (physically) and the spacer blocks on the Shimano adapter are aproximately 12.5mm and 7.5mm.   

I hope this helps you out and that I didn't confuse you.  I'm an engineer and things like this drive me nuts.   

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #8 - 05/08/14 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
REDoerr wrote on 05/08/14 at 1:09pm:
I have a final update for you.  As I said before you should have no issues with the front brake, it mounts directly to the fork (no washers, shims, etc. should be used).  

As far as the rear goes I believe this is the issue.

Assumptions: You are using Avid CPS 20S spacers and 160mm rotors.  

The Avid spacers you have are approximately 17.5mm (upper) and 12.5mm (lower).  If you install the XT brakes with just these the brake will be 5mm to far away from the rotor.  If you install the XT brake with the spacers and the spherical washers the brake will be even further away from the rotor.  

What I said yesterday will work.  If you install the XT brake with the Avid CPS 10S adapters (12.5mm and 7.5mm) it will work.  

The preferred solution would be to use a Shimano adapter but you will not find one that specifically states it is for REAR PM140 to PM160 (at least I can't find one).  

However, you can use a Shimano front 160mm to 180mm post mount adapter. Shimano part number SM-MA-F180P/P2.  Available online for sure but you may be able to find one at a LBS.

It will work properly don't worry. Here is why. 

The PM 140 mounts on your bike as I said before allow you to use a 140mm rotor and mount a brake directly to the frame with no adapters.  To mount larger rotors you need to move the brake out and why you need spacers or an adpater.  

Using a 160mm rotor with a PM 140 mounts, the change is 20mm.  That is no different than going from a 160mm to 180mmm rotor on the front (mountain fork post mounts use 160mm rotors as the base).  The increase in either case is 20mm.  The spacers or adapter in either case will be the same.  

Also, I checked (physically) and the spacer blocks on the Shimano adapter are aproximately 12.5mm and 7.5mm.  

I hope this helps you out and that I didn't confuse you.  I'm an engineer and things like this drive me nuts.  

Well THAT explains everything!  Wink

Note: Please don't take that personal.  Merely an observation from years of people watching. Smiley And many engineer customers.

BTW You should be able to use a front 180 to 160 Post 2 Post adapter on the rear if you turn around. 
« Last Edit: 05/08/14 at 3:16pm by The Cycle Path »  

IP Logged

mtbchk
Forum Administrator

rocks are good

Reply #9 - 05/08/14 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 05/08/14 at 3:16pm:

Well THAT explains everything!  Wink

Note: Please don't take that personal.  Merely an observation from years of people watching. Smiley And many engineer customers.

HEY!  TAKE THAT BACK!   Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #10 - 05/10/14 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Well REDoerr nailed it for sure.  Took out the spacers on the front and the pads hit the rotor perfectly, and braking power actually felt like it increased quite a bit.  Levers feel even more solid than they already did.

Assumptions on the rear were true as well; now I just need to get myself a new spacer set and I'll be good to go.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #11 - 05/11/14 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
QCB had one of the Shimano adapters in stock yesterday so I grabbed one there.

For the front brake I removed all spacers and it contacts the pads perfectly.  For the rear I installed the Shimano 160 to 180 spacer and mix-and-matched some bolts to get enough thread contact and it contacts the pads perfectly as well.

Power feels like it increased a lot, although I can't get the brakes to lock up as well as I'd expect considering how hard they are grabbing.  I just cleaned the rotors with alcohol on a fresh t-shirt rag to remedy some squealing, so I'm hoping the lack of ability to lock up is simply the slightly uneven pad wear from the first 100 miles or so of only half the pad being used and that'll it'll work itself out on my next ride.  

« Last Edit: 05/11/14 at 8:04pm by Ridefour15 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print