Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Signal Thrill (Read 2994 times)
DrewK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Signal Thrill
05/13/14 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Soooo... who's in charge of the greatest single track technical paradise in Statesville?  Might need a mani/pedi soon, gonna be unrideable in a week or so if we don't clean it up.  Who's in charge?  I'd be happy to help at a trail work day.  Before I go out there and start tinkering myself... does anybody have anything scheduled?

Ciao... and don't tell me to get on Facebook and look there.  I hate Facebook.  And warm beer.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

timbercomp
Project Board

First Flight Bicycles

Re: Signal Thrill
Reply #1 - 05/14/14 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Drew, contact Mark at the Cycle Path who is in charge of the trail while they search for a new trail coordinator. I just bought lots of stock in Technu after our ride last night, the PI is getting very thick and lots of low hangers growing into the trail. Had a couple guys saying that they are going to do a different ride on Tuesday nights till it gets cut back.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Wes Davidson
First Flight Bicycles
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 05/14/14 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
WOW, maybe they should take some inititive and cut it back thierselves. 

« Last Edit: 05/14/14 at 5:48pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 05/14/14 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 05/14/14 at 5:47pm:

Enoch,

Thanks for pointing to that thread.  I did find it before I made my post.  You will notice that there is no trail coordinator listed for Signal Hill.  Also, I do remember reading somewhere that Jeff Archer is no longer coordinator for the State Park.  Seems like that is BigBikeMike now.  Although, Mark @ the Cycle Path was kind enough to send me Evan (?)'s phone number, in reference to Signal Hill.  I was more interested in knowing if there was some kind of coordinated effort, you know, so I wasn't trimming, spraying, and blowing off 5 miles of trail by myself.  I did mention in my post that I was willing to help out, and if it comes down to it, I'll go do it myself because I do like to ride there, it's close to home, there are no f)(*$&*^ing pine needles like the State Park, and I know the people I ride with will appreciate it and give me free, cold beer, with no Facebook strings attached.  Signal Hill, to me, is like a girl that might not look that good, but is really great in the sack.  Once you dive in and figure it out, it's a great time.  I'm still finding new ways to challenge myself there.  I don't know if there is a secret bro-code to get work day info or what, but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't stepping on anyone's toes and/or doing duplicate work.  In fairness, I haven't talked to Evan yet, so maybe that will answer my questions.

So Evan is the trail coordinator at Signal Hill now?  I did a trail work day there last year, I think a guy named Scott (?) was in charge - goes by 'Marin Man' on the forum.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Some of the bridges need some help also.  Boards are starting to break.  Again, I'm willing to donate time... but hopefully won't be working alone, hopefully can learn from somebody that knows what they're doing, and hopefully not paying for tools or materials or fuel myself.  I don't have the time to be a trail coordinator, nor do I have the skills, but I can pick up heavy things from one place and move them to another place, and put them down.  And I do really appreciate all of the volunteer work that everybody does.

If there is a secret bro-code, and someone who knows the code could start a thread here when there are work days, maybe that solves my problem.  Otherwise, I'll have at it as I get time, and maybe pick the lock to the gate so I can drive my truck back in with string trimmer and leaf blower and plenty of poison ivy killer.  Somebody is doing a heck of a lot of work on the pump track, it's pretty clean all the time.
</rant>
« Last Edit: 05/14/14 at 6:19pm by DrewK »  

IP Logged

timbercomp
Project Board

First Flight Bicycles

Reply #4 - 05/14/14 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 05/14/14 at 5:47pm:

Jerry, these were young guys, new to riding that we met on trail. We informed them to contact the club to see how they could help.
« Last Edit: 05/14/14 at 6:41pm by timbercomp »  

Wes Davidson
First Flight Bicycles
IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #5 - 05/14/14 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
DrewK,

Contact Evan regarding trail work.  The Trail Blazers have a whole cache of tools out there in the shipping container by the pump track and he can help worker bees get access to them.

I heard that at the last North group meeting They came up with a general plan for maintenance (as far as weed-eating fixing bridges etc.) but I haven't heard the details.  

I always ride with my hand clippers in my camel back so I can cut back any face/hand slappers that I encounter at my local riding spots.  I wouldn't think you would need a full fledged workday to cut back a few low hanging branches, but I will let Evan speak to that.

Speaking of group gatherings at Signal, I know that a group of guys have started up Wednesday afternoon and Sunday rides, digging on the pump track, and doing general trail maintenance as well.  I won't be there tonight but I will most likely be out on Sunday with my hand clippers, folding saw, my trail bike and pump track bike.  As I mentioned there is a cache of tools out there as well that we can access.

If anyone comes out on Sunday I'll be riding a Blacked out Giant Trance on the trail and a Black DMR sidekick 2 on the pump track

Cheers to good times at Signal Hill!

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #6 - 05/15/14 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Hence the reason I directed you towards Evan.   We're glad to have the help!

Mark

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

JimShoe
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 05/16/14 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
The point Jerry is making is that A LOT of people won't stop their ride to clear the trail or cut something back BUT WILL go out saying someone needs to do something. I carry a Leatherman tool with a small saw blade. The wire cutters are great for trimming back briers, vines and other small growth. The saw blade will easily cut back smaller fallen trees, limbs and branches. It ticks me off to see people widen the trail to avoid something that they could have stopped and removed in less than a minute.  Smiley

When the government takes responsibility for the people, the people will no longer take responsibility for themselves

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 05/17/14 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
JimShoe wrote on 05/16/14 at 4:29pm:
The point Jerry is making is that A LOT of people won't stop their ride to clear the trail or cut something back BUT WILL go out saying someone needs to do something. I carry a Leatherman tool with a small saw blade. The wire cutters are great for trimming back briers, vines and other small growth. The saw blade will easily cut back smaller fallen trees, limbs and branches. It ticks me off to see people widen the trail to avoid something that they could have stopped and removed in less than a minute.  Smiley
Theres a tree that I hit 90% of the time out there. Was looking for a way to get rid of it. I'm thinking a small blade like you said, and just doing a little each time out. There's also this pesky root on a climb in the circuit city section, that has been a nemesis for years, that I will start working on  Smiley 

GTalk  
IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 05/17/14 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 05/17/14 at 3:37pm:

Theres a tree that I hit 90% of the time out there. Was looking for a way to get rid of it. I'm thinking a small blade like you said, and just doing a little each time out. There's also this pesky root on a climb in the circuit city section, that has been a nemesis for years, that I will start working on  Smiley 

With all due respect:

Please don't change the trail to suit your skills.  I know the root you're talking about, and there are people that clear it every time... somebody already cleaned up the other "fun" part of that climb, please don't make it easier...

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 05/21/14 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I hope everybody gets a chance to enjoy riding on their favorite trail this week.  I had fun tonight Smiley

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 05/23/14 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Dis widdle biddy root?

Pro Tip... the key is to hammer up the hill right before so you have some speed, stay high/left, and have your left pedal up as you go across it.  Tough on a single speed, but very doable.

I really did like the big washout better... that one was much more challenging because it was different every week.  Alas, it is no more.

IP Logged

Moto_Dude_08

Reply #12 - 05/23/14 at 1:59am
Print Post  
That's some impressive riding.

IP Logged

HEADSUP
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 05/23/14 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Once he gets some "ANDY" calves. Then he can really do some riding!!!! Grin

Lets ride!!!

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #14 - 05/24/14 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Seriously?!  Complaining about that root!?    Smiley

IP Logged

Moto_Dude_08

Reply #15 - 05/24/14 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I was out there over the weekend and met some of the guys riding.  I was told there isn't gonna be a trail coordinator and people could build and change what they wanted.  I say cut it out if u don't like it.  Or build an alternate line

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #16 - 05/24/14 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Moto_Dude_08 wrote on 05/24/14 at 4:12pm:
I was out there over the weekend and met some of the guys riding.  I was told there isn't gonna be a trail coordinator and people could build and change what they wanted.  I say cut it out if u don't like it.  Or build an alternate line

That's not true and whoever told you that had no authority to say so.  An official trail coordinator has not been named but there are people working on the trail.  If you wish to help with ongoing maintenance I'd be more than happy to put you touch with those who are working out there.
« Last Edit: 05/24/14 at 7:56pm by The Cycle Path »  

IP Logged

MtnJax
Coaster Bike

Reply #17 - 05/24/14 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Moto_Dude_08 wrote on 05/24/14 at 4:12pm:
I was out there over the weekend and met some of the guys riding.  I was told there isn't gonna be a trail coordinator and people could build and change what they wanted.

this just sounds like a recipe for disaster...

2014 Transition TransAm 27.5
2018 Santa Cruz 5010

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #18 - 05/24/14 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
MtnJax wrote on 05/24/14 at 7:55pm:

this just sounds like a recipe for disaster...

Read above post. Smiley

IP Logged

MtnJax
Coaster Bike

Reply #19 - 05/25/14 at 12:41am
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 05/24/14 at 7:57pm:

Read above post. Smiley

see it now. thanks! must have posted at the same time

didn't think that sounded right because i've talked to someone recently who has been working on those trails

2014 Transition TransAm 27.5
2018 Santa Cruz 5010

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print