Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Home trail help:feeler (Read 755 times)
tjbelge
Coaster Bike

ride eat sleep repeat

Home trail help:feeler
05/13/14 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Hi I've been working on my home stomping grounds here in Waxhaw I have approximately 2 miles with one main uphill and a few downhill thread, but I have gotten to a point where I am having trouble maintaining and expanding the trail mainly due to being at school at NC state for a good chunk of the year.  I have been communicating with my neighbor about the possibility of expanding the trail onto his property. I have also done some research and found that there is a 20-30ft. easement for a horseback riding trail that was abandoned after Hugo That goes behind my property and continues for approximately 2-3 miles and passes by some nice boulders and runs along a creek-bed. Ultimately I would like to connect my trails to this and create a longer loop with more varied terrain.  The trail is closed for both deer and turkey hunting season mainly because Myself and my Dad dont want the wildlife getting spooked from someone hauling it through the woods, and we especially wouldn't want anyone to even take a chance at getting hurt, (mainly by my neighbors who i'm not so sure even know of things like firearm safety).  So if you enjoy building/clearing trails please hit me up I plan to work on my jump section completing a few landers and shaping the coping on my lips, and finishing up some of the berms I have started.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Half-a-fork
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Home trail help:feeler
Reply #1 - 05/13/14 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Sounds like my dream...hoping to buy about 20 acres here and build some trails myself.  My only suggestion would be to understand who is going to ride these.  If you are inviting the public to ride them at some point, you might be assuming the responsibility of them possibly getting hurt out there.  By extending the trails onto your neighbor's land you are amplifying this issue.  If you are looking to build these and have trusted friends ride them that you know won't sue in the event they get hurt, then you can build some extra gnarly stuff.

I bought the IMBA trail building book online for about $40 and it has a TON of great information in it about how to build.  Obviously the MOST important part is drainage.  Getting that right will save you a lot of hassle.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Ride to have fun and enjoy the scenery, not to set records…

Packed and ready to roll…
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
GTalkAIM  
IP Logged

tjbelge
Coaster Bike

ride eat sleep repeat

Reply #2 - 05/13/14 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
It really is fun and rewarding to be able to just walk out the door an hop on the bike and get a solid ride in, Im not really trying to make anything to intense or crazy, and I am pretty sure my parents would crucify me if i opened it up to the public to ride. What I was really thinking was to see if there where any other riders in the waxhaw/mineral springs area who wanted to help build and ride together.  I think contribution would be the best control method allowing contributors to be riders. Ill have to check that book out for sure though it sounds like a great resource. I was thinking that initially I could draft up a form releasing myself, my family, and other trail-builders of liabilities as it is the trail head is pretty controlled because its right behind my house, and theres really no parking besides my family's driveway. But I don't want to make a heavily trafficed trail because then i would have to yield right of way and slow down for people at my house and who wants to do that lol.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #3 - 05/13/14 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Best thing to do is find riders who share your outlook and style of riding and recruit them to help. Keep it low key and build what you like. Once you open it to others publicly you start wading into the murky waters of liability and that can be bad.

Gather like minded locals and build whatever you want...much like other local, "secret" trails that are awesome and nobody knows about... 

you wont have to adhere to any build specs or IMBA guidelines and can build super sketchy jumps, kickers, structures, etc.

Thanks again for the help out at Beatty today!
« Last Edit: 05/14/14 at 12:00am by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

tjbelge
Coaster Bike

ride eat sleep repeat

Reply #4 - 05/18/14 at 4:01am
Print Post  
So get this I found a old refrigerator just off the edge of my trail.  Looking for some inspiration the obvious choice is to make a massive table top.  How about some alternatives the wildest/ stupidest choice is the winner, and gets built also as the icing on the cake I also found a old commode out there haha! If anyone has a idea for that I would not only crap my pants in laughter but would be out there immediately implementing said idea, as of right now its my "spectator seat" haha.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print