Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Road ? - What Bottom Bracket do I need. (Read 459 times)
49erRider
Ex Member

Road ? - What Bottom Bracket do I need.
06/06/14 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Have a quick question about which bottom bracket is needed.  About 8 years ago I bought a bike really similar to this:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Shoot it might still be the same thing being sold.  I made it into a cheap little SS bike.  Before you say just trash it, I've got like 4300 miles on this thing and today with the bottom bracket dying that is the first issue I've had.   

I was going to pull it and take a look but don't have time right now, so just seeing if anyone knows if there is a "standard" BB for it.   

Thanks,

Brad

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Road ? - What Bottom Bracket do I need.
Reply #1 - 06/06/14 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I just changed my wife's bottom bracket on a very simliar bike and had to take it to the shop to get the same size. It's more than likely a standard sqaure taper but the width could vary.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

Screaming Knees
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 06/06/14 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
By the way, she has 1 1/2 years of commuting to work daily in rain, snow, whatever. The BB didn't really need to be replaced, but it was a little crunchy and was completely torn down anyway. Grease the hubs and headset and that thing will last a long time! 

I think you'll be surprised how long a "cheap fixie" can last if taken care of.

A mountain biker that doesn't ride a road bike has no legs, A road biker that doesn't ride the mountain bike has no soul.

IP Logged

ZKcrew
Small Cog

Ridin' Dirty

Reply #3 - 07/14/14 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
depending on what type of bottom bracket it is, you may be able to repack it with grease.  I got a used Isis bottom bracket that was a little crunchy but the outer seals were removable so I just repacked it with grease and it was smooth after that.  I'm right by Tega Cay on Steele Creek Rd if you need help with it.  I ride a fixie/SS also.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print