Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fork "Click/Pop" Noise (Read 1356 times)
49erRider
Ex Member

Fork "Click/Pop" Noise
07/31/14 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Recently bought a complete build on here and was told the fork was just serviced by one of the local shops.  

It is a Fox 32 RLC 26" 

On the first ride I noticed this popping or clicking sound that I swore was coming from the headset as it sounded just like a loose headset does.  Well I took the fork off and sure enough the star nut was put in there like crap.  But then I was able to replicate the sound without the fork on the bike.  So this is my first fox fork so maybe this is normal but I doubt it.  

Any ideas on what to do or check out?  Here is a video of it, please excuse the baby in the background and the shakiness of the video. The sound is all I was really going for.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 07/31/14 at 2:02pm by 49erRider »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Re: Fork "Click/Pop" Noise
Reply #1 - 07/31/14 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Odds are pretty good that it's the stantion tubes creaking in the crown. Fox forks are infamous for it. Do a search on MTBR and you'll see what I'm talking about.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/31/14 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Okay I'll go ahead and search it in a bit. If that is the case is it just a nuisance and it's still good to ride?

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #3 - 07/31/14 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
i might suggest removing the lowers and  pulling out the spring assembly from the air chamber side to see if one of the springs is cracked.  What does it feel like when riding?  Does it feel like a thunk?

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #4 - 07/31/14 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I watched your video, Sounds like you have a broken top out spring, just like Sager mentioned. Unfortunately Fox only sells them as a Air Spring Assembly.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/31/14 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Okay I think you guys may be right.  To get to it, do I just let the air out and remove the 26mm nut and then just pull it out?  Is that all there is to it?  Or do I need to go about a much more involved process. 

Also where do I order a new part from?

Thanks,

Brad

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 07/31/14 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
The assembly is attached to the push rod that comes out the bottom and I think it has to be removed from the bottom.  If that is the case, you will need to remove the lowers, which is almost the equivalent of a seal replacement procedure.
« Last Edit: 07/31/14 at 6:46pm by sager »  

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/31/14 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Man this just became an involved process.  So no easy way to just diagnose the problem as far as you guys know?  I pulled all the air out and it only returned about half way.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/31/14 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Does that seem like the right part?

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #9 - 07/31/14 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
You can push it all out the top and leave the legs on. Do not even bother removing the stuff on the right leg. It is the same disaasembly procedure for adjusting travel. I use a long 1/4 extention to push it out. You'll need 30cc of splash oil for that leg (Doesn't necessarialy have to be Fox) and approxiamnetly 5cc of Float Fluid to put on top of the piston. Once again you just need something to coat the top of the piston to keep it wet.

$43.00 sounds about right. THat is what I paid for my last one directly from fox. FWIW, I have a work around for the inner spring. If it is the outer spring, than there is no option.

Dissassembly time is less than 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: 07/31/14 at 7:04pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 07/31/14 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
you probably want to diagnose before you buy the assembly.  Jerry's workaround works fine for the inner spring.

Since Jerry confirmed you can push it out the top, at least you don't have to worry about the right leg.

I'd encourage you to do it because fork maintenance is a common need and being able to do this yourself will make you more likely to learn how to do the seal replacement procedure, which will extend the life of your fork and improve it's performance if done regularly.

The procedure to diagnose shouldn't cause you any problems that can't be fixed if you get over your head.  Just know that when you push the push rod into the lowers, 30ccs of oil is going to come flowing out so be ready to catch it.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/01/14 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Well back to the drawing board. Spring assembly is fine. 

Bummer

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 08/01/14 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Put the steerer tub in a vise and then push up and down on the lowers. If it pops then, it's the tubes in the crown.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/01/14 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
It was the spring assembly.  The springs were okay but the shaft it rides on had a big crack in it and I think the noise I was hearing was the spring jumping on and off the top cap.  A buddy had a new one leftover so took that put it in and no noises that I can hear as of now.  Hopefully that doesn't change haha.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 08/02/14 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Glad you fixed it!

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #15 - 08/08/14 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Those top out springs can go bad if you over pressure the air spring, too. Had a customer think a 220 lb rider needed over 150psi in the fork!  Shocked. It actually blew the top out spring retainer out of the bottom of the uppers, Tongue

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print