Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) NBR- Chain saw help? (Read 1083 times)
Solar
Little Ring

I can ride my bike with
no handle bars

NBR- Chain saw help?
08/01/14 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I have a craftsman chain saw that I've had for several years and have had no problems with until recently. I had it "tuned up" and cleaned out last winter, but then it sat for a few months before I fired it up again. 

I'm having a hard time keeping it running and it won't idle right.  I feel it needs to have the idle as well as the fuel intakes adjusted but I'm not sure how to do it. 

Its been too long to take it back to where the work was last done, plus I've moved from that area out to Matthews.  That and I feel like they bent me over price-wise so I'm reluctant to take it back there. 

Does anyone have a shop they would recommend that's fair on price in the Matthews/Stallings/Beaty area OR know enough to help walk me through adjusting this thing?

I'd be happy to compensate someone for their time with beer if they can teach me how to make the adjustments myself.  Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds.
IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: NBR- Chain saw help?
Reply #1 - 08/01/14 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I am not familiar with the Craftsman chainsaws but I am familiar with chainsaws in general.  I would first pull the air filter and make sure it's clean and unobstructed and visually inspect that the choke is opening and closing properly.  Pull the spark plug and inspect it, making sure it is not fouled.  Also make sure the chain is not too tight on the bar.  If you had fuel that sat for an extended amount of time in the tank go ahead and replace with fresh fuel.  Check to see if any of this was helpful before moving on...

Next you can search for leaks in the carb by lightly spraying carb or brake cleaner around the carb and air/fuel lines while the saw idles.  If the throttle spikes you have an air leak somewhere.

Finally, there should be 3 screw adjustments, H, L and Idle (I don't know how Craftsmen labels these and it's probably a good idea to refer to the manual whether it be hard copy or online).  These should be tuned in this order: Idle -> Low Speed Mixture -> High Speed Mixture.  Since I don't know your particular saw, you will need to look up some baselines for this before you start making any adjustments.

I'm certainly no expert nor do I claim to be a engine repair man but I have worked on quite a few small engines with pretty good success.

Good luck!  Smiley
« Last Edit: 08/01/14 at 6:19pm by Slothzilla »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #2 - 08/01/14 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
I would also suggest to always use the highest octane gas you can find for all small engine tools, and always put fuel stabilizer in every time you get gas, no matter what time of year it is.  You could also go the route of getting a carb rebuild kit, but I have recently learned that there are some press fit, non-serviceable flow valves that can get gunked up as well.  Sometimes a $35 new carb is better than a $15 rebuild kit.

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 08/01/14 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
KitJ BBQman wrote on 08/01/14 at 6:33pm:
I would also suggest to always use the highest octane gas you can find for all small engine tools

I have found the opposite to be true.  Octane is an ignition retardant and helps engines with high compression ratios avoid knocking/pinging.  Small engines normally have low compression ratios and while they will run on any fuel whether it be 87 or 93, 93 makes them more difficult to start in some cases.

IP Logged

KitJ BBQman
Big Ring

This is gonna hurt!

Reply #4 - 08/02/14 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Slothzilla wrote on 08/01/14 at 8:42pm:

I have found the opposite to be true.  Octane is an ignition retardant and helps engines with high compression ratios avoid knocking/pinging.  Small engines normally have low compression ratios and while they will run on any fuel whether it be 87 or 93, 93 makes them more difficult to start in some cases.

Hmmm, well I guess it is the stabilizer that is helping me then.

I used to ride; now I just drink and cry about not riding.
AIM  
IP Logged

Solar
Little Ring

I can ride my bike with
no handle bars

Reply #5 - 08/02/14 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
First off, thanks for the replies.  Second before you guys get into a low down drag out debate about fuel, I talked to a mechanic at the local John Deer/Stihl store.  There is something to consider with which fuel you use, but he made the point that its not the octane, its the ethanol in the fuel. He made the point that ethanol is essentially corn sugars & when they sit for too long it separates from the fuel, basically leaving sugar in your tank which in turn gums up the engine. Originally they only added ethanol to the low octane fuel which would have the higher octane better for smaller engines.  Now that they are adding it to both high and low octane neither are great.  He made a point of using a good stabilizer as well as try to find fuel without ethanol. The Shell station on Stallings and Old Monroe have a separate pump for ethanol free fuel. 

Back to my situation- I did most of what you said Sloth before I  posted up here. Took the saw apart, checked air filter, cleaned spark plug (should probably replace) and also sanded the contact points. Also checked the choke and its working fine. There is stabilizer in the fuel but I should probably try replacing that too.

I haven't checked for leaks on the carb. When I moved I dumped my old carb cleaner and haven't replaced it yet... add it to the list.

The point I'm at is making the adjustments on the high/low & idle.  I can tweak the idle but the high/low "knobs" are a star type screw. Problem being its not a typical six point star screw, it looks like a 12-16 point star and of course its within a case that you cannot easily access or use alternate tools.   

Where my lack of small engine knowledge fails me is that if I have it on full choke, and pull, it starts right up and runs idling high to normal.  If I reduce the choke at all, it dies.

Does this tell me anything about the spark plug?  Would it run if the spark plug was foul.   

Does anyone out there have access to the tool I'm describing above?

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #6 - 08/02/14 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
If it dies when you reduce the choke, you likely have an air leak somewhere on the intake after the choke plate.  With the choke on, you have enough leakage for the engine to run. Reducing the choke adds too much air, leans out the mix and it dies. Small engines are very susceptible due to the small carbs, gaskets, short intakes, etc.  Primer bulbs are a likely source, fuel lines, etc.  Anything after the choke plate is suspect.   
Unit will not run if plug is fouled.  I just adjusted the carb on a hedge trimmer that had nothing on the heads of the screws.  I used a hacksaw carefully and was able to cut a slot in the top of the screw and the guard around the screw. I was then able to turn the adjusters with a small screwdriver.  Try tightening the screws that mount the carb first.  Good luck

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #7 - 08/02/14 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Solar wrote on 08/02/14 at 2:20pm:
First off, thanks for the replies.  Second before you guys get into a low down drag out debate about fuel, I talked to a mechanic at the local John Deer/Stihl store.  There is something to consider with which fuel you use, but he made the point that its not the octane, its the ethanol in the fuel. He made the point that ethanol is essentially corn sugars & when they sit for too long it separates from the fuel, basically leaving sugar in your tank which in turn gums up the engine. Originally they only added ethanol to the low octane fuel which would have the higher octane better for smaller engines.  Now that they are adding it to both high and low octane neither are great.  He made a point of using a good stabilizer as well as try to find fuel without ethanol. The Shell station on Stallings and Old Monroe have a separate pump for ethanol free fuel. 

Back to my situation- I did most of what you said Sloth before I  posted up here. Took the saw apart, checked air filter, cleaned spark plug (should probably replace) and also sanded the contact points. Also checked the choke and its working fine. There is stabilizer in the fuel but I should probably try replacing that too.

I haven't checked for leaks on the carb. When I moved I dumped my old carb cleaner and haven't replaced it yet... add it to the list.

The point I'm at is making the adjustments on the high/low & idle.  I can tweak the idle but the high/low "knobs" are a star type screw. Problem being its not a typical six point star screw, it looks like a 12-16 point star and of course its within a case that you cannot easily access or use alternate tools.  

Where my lack of small engine knowledge fails me is that if I have it on full choke, and pull, it starts right up and runs idling high to normal.  If I reduce the choke at all, it dies.

Does this tell me anything about the spark plug?  Would it run if the spark plug was foul.  

Does anyone out there have access to the tool I'm describing above?

I have a Craftsman too. It is pushing 20 years old. Had the system cleaned a couple times when it acted up over the years. Last fall it did about what yours is doing, only developed fuel leak. Took it to Kannapolis Power (Husky dealer) The ethanol had destroyed the fuel system. They got new parts and got it back to me. $118.00 US. Cheaper than a new saw. Moral is use a stabilizer (Idid) and dodge the ethanol. (I cannot seem to find the right stuff around Kanappolis) As far as the star tool maybe Buffalo Tool or Harbor Freight?

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 08/02/14 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
dump the gas and refuel with fresh gas.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #9 - 08/02/14 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
I know you're specifically asking about how to make the carb adjustments and nobody is addressing your question, but I'll join them if you'll permit. I spent a lot of time messing with a gas blower last summer and went through a lot of this process. First thing, as Chosen One said, is to dump the fuel and put fresh in. In the future, always run it dry before storing for an extended period to avoid gumming up the carb. Second, a cheap thing to try is to replace the fuel filter, which is generally down in the fuel tank. You'll have to fish it out with a bent wire. It's on the end of the fuel line and flops around in the tank. If it will only run on choke, then it could be an air leak as someone said requiring more fuel to keep a proper mixture, OR it could be a shortage of fuel coming in to the carb due to a partially clogged fuel filter. If that's it, it's a $3 fix. The last thing is what I finally had to do...take apart the carb and blow it out with an air compressor from the inside toward the fuel intake. I was really hesitant to do that, but had eliminated everything else and was going to put a new carb on it anyway ($45 online) if it didn't work. So that emboldened me. I looked up a diagram on the internet so I knew what to expect and blew back toward the screen from inside the carb toward the intake. The screen got away from me, but I put the carb back together and it ran like new.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #10 - 08/02/14 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Also pull off the muffler and clean the spark arrestor out. It's a little screen that gets built up with carbon and such and blocks the flow. Has worked for me in the past.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 08/02/14 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
KitJ BBQman wrote on 08/01/14 at 6:33pm:
...and always put fuel stabilizer in every time you get gas, no matter what time of year it is. 

+1

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Never had a problem.

I add it to my gas can, so it's always on board.

As for the tune up, the only option there besides doing it yourself is to take it to another shop and get it checked out. In my experience, 99% of the time if you've got a small engine problem it's the gas. Drain it and refill it.
« Last Edit: 08/02/14 at 11:56pm by IntheBush »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Solar
Little Ring

I can ride my bike with
no handle bars

Reply #12 - 08/03/14 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Again, thank you to all for the input/feedback.

I plan to rip it apart again today/tomorrow and see if I can find leaks, replace gas and go from there.

Scott- I did take apart and clean the spark arrester screen in the first round of trouble shooting.

I've noticed the air filter cover doesn't lock in to place but I didn't think that would make a difference. Am I wrong there? The filter is in place just fine.

IP Logged

Racnfirecapn
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 08/04/14 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Solar, I'm not a chainsaw technician but I was a mechanic in a motorcycle dealership for over 25 years and have worked on my share of chainsaws, weed eaters, and such.  There has been lots of good information given and I will add one additional thing to look for.  I'm not sure about your craftsman but most of the chainsaws have a vacuum line running from the cylinder to the carburetor that operates the fuel pump.  My experience has been that over time this line dry rots and cracks causing an air leak.  The hose is very small and sometimes specific to that saw.  Most husky's now require a specific part to replace the vacuum line.  So yours may or may not require a specific part.  Also most times when the engine will not run without the choke after sitting for weeks and months it is an indication that the pilot circuit in the carburetor is stopped up.  So a disassembly and cleaning would be in order, then fresh premix.  The airbox lid should not be an issue.  I'm not sure where you are located but I live just a couple of blocks from Rocky River Trail if you want some assistance. Send me a pm or email if you're close and want to bring it by or I can send you my cell number.

Lester

Also be careful running the saw out of gas because a 2-cycle engine requires the oil in the premix for lubrication. As it is running out of gas it is also running out of oil and can cause an engine seizure.
« Last Edit: 08/04/14 at 2:11pm by Racnfirecapn »  

"The older I get the faster I WAS"

IP Logged

Solar
Little Ring

I can ride my bike with
no handle bars

Reply #14 - 08/04/14 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Update- I ripped the thing apart!  I took a look into the gas tank after draining it and found at least one problem.  The main fuel line was essentially disintegrating. The filter had fallen/broken away from the hose so was no longer functioning. I realized that since there is a primer line/hose, I must've been getting fuel to the carb with that, enough to get it going for a bit. I guess fuel could've still been getting pulled on the main line but it looked like an octopus on a bad day. 

Granted, this may only be the beginning, but I clearly need to replace the fuel line.  I pulled the old one out and I haven't picked up the replacement yet, but I have no idea how I'm going to get the replacement in there due to the tiny hole it was fed through.

I'm thinking I will go ahead and replace all the hoses I can find and get to while I have it apart.   

In the meantime, I've picked up a 16" Stilh to get me through the next week. I have help coming this week and I needed a saw to get some needed work done. 

I'll keep you all posted on what happens next. If anyone has any advice on how to thread that fuel line through the small opening of the gas tank, it would be welcome and appreciated.   

Lester-I may take you up on that offer.  I live in Matthews close to Beaty, but I ride RRT often.  Let me get the parts and try to get it back together and if I hit a wall I may be in touch. Thanks for the offer.

I want to add that I was reluctant when I first posted this not knowing if I would get real help.  I knew there were a lot of people on this forum that have this kind of knowledge so I knew it could be a great resource.  With all the trolling that happens on this site, I'm very appreciative that the better side of the club stepped up to help me out.  I believe this is a great club and a great resource.  Once again, thanks to all who took the time to offer advice.

IP Logged

Woods Rider
Small Cog

I wanna ride

Reply #15 - 08/04/14 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Being you found the fuel line shot you might as well keep going.
Don't stop at the fuel line, do the whole fuel system, you will likely find hose crap in the fuel pump, carb and primer bulb also with ethanol and the damage it does you will likely also find a lot of gumming. Carefully inspect the carb as the ports will have gumming in them too.

Government has no reason to use common sense or be efficient as it pays no price for failure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print