Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic 1x9 for the road? (Read 365 times)
Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

1x9 for the road?
08/10/14 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Hey folks,

with this nasty weather that we've been having I've been doing ALOT more road riding. I find that I almost never (as in never) use my little chain ring. I would like to go 1x but Im not sure the best way to do this on a road bike.

My mountain bike has all the fancy new clutch derailluers and narrow/wide mess to keep the chain in place, but is this necessary on the road? 

My bike is a Giant TCX cross bike and Im runnin a 46/36t up front and 11-28t in the back. Even on big climbing rides like the Marion to Mitchell ride I didnt need my 36t. Im thinking of going with a 42 to 48t chainring and 11-34 cassette when I replace my worn chain/cassette and that should give me even more range. 

Im in Asheville, where I wont be hitting long flat stretches where I would need a bigger 50T+ chain ring, and I dont plan on hopping in a 25mph pace line anytime soon. I just like to hit big climbs on the Parkway and gravel roads around the forest.

The dilemma is I have a second wheelset with 35c Slant 6s to use when I ride the bike at Bent Creek and on other non-technical singletrack/gravel spots. Im worried that a standard chainring wont be enough to prevent the chain from dropping in the rough stuff. I could use a guide as a last resort but I'd rather not.

So...

Should I go with a dedicated single speed chainring?

Would a standard ramped chainring work?

Is there something Im missing that would make this a dumb idea?

and the reason for going 1x is mostly for aesthetics (so my OCD doesnt destroy me on every ride) and the challenge of not having a "bailout" gear. 

I await your answer Jerry Grin

thanks.
« Last Edit: 08/10/14 at 4:56pm by Banjopickin »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: 1x9 for the road?
Reply #1 - 08/10/14 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Better leave both those ring on there. I couldn't live without mine. GO ride up Beech mtn. and let me know how that 46 works out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

TStroupe
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: 1x9 for the road?
Reply #2 - 08/10/14 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This may help even though they're just talking gravel/cyclocross. Depending on your BCD you could get a narrow wide ring from them and you wouldn't need a chain guide.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print