Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Out of ideas - baffled on this one (Read 3010 times)
ludey
Small Cog

Probably gonna ride today

Out of ideas - baffled on this one
08/16/14 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I'm having a problem with shifting that I simply cannot resolve.   The symptom is a double shift problem.  IE. one click, it won't shift, click again, it'll shift twice.  Using the trim adjustment only changes the problem from happening on the way "up" to on the way "down."  Happens most often on the smaller cogs.  And even when it DOES shift, it's not very smooth... chain sometimes rides up on top of the cog before moving over, etc.

I've been living with it for some time now (couple months) and at this point I have swapped just about everything on the drive train that is related to rear shifting.  Derailleur broke so that got swapped, swapped to my older cassette, swapped the Der hanger, rear shifter broke so that got replaced, new cables/housings.... and yet the problem persists.  The only thing I haven't replaced with brand new is the chain.  But, the chain is not that old, I swapped it in May of this year, and I have serious doubts as to that being the problem.

This problem may have coincided with a rather big crash at RRT... and my bike is by no means new or babied... I've maintained it well but it does have it's fair share of crashes on it... and I'd say I ride pretty hard overall.  So, I'm actually beginning to think that maybe the frame is bent or out of alignment somehow?  {shrug} I'm really just spitballing at this point as to what this could be as I'm out of ideas.  Anybody out there have any suggestions or ideas?  Help!  This is driving me nuts!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

« Last Edit: 08/16/14 at 11:34am by ludey »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: Out of ideas - baffled on this one
Reply #1 - 08/16/14 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a bent derailleur hanger but it could be a loose cassette.  I had a loose cassette a few years ago at a 24 hour race and the problem fooled everyone.  Don't remember how we found it, but it was not what we were looking for, purely by accident that we found it.  Bent hangers are more common and Park actually makes a tool to straighten them.  Any shop should have one.  If you don't have any luck, I have one and I'm near WWC.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

ludey
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 08/16/14 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
traildog wrote on 08/16/14 at 12:28pm:
Sounds like a bent derailleur hanger but it could be a loose cassette.  I had a loose cassette a few years ago at a 24 hour race and the problem fooled everyone.  Don't remember how we found it, but it was not what we were looking for, purely by accident that we found it.  Bent hangers are more common and Park actually makes a tool to straighten them.  Any shop should have one.  If you don't have any luck, I have one and I'm near WWC. 

When I first started having the problem, der hanger was my very first thought.  However, I replaced it with a new one and it did not solve the problem.  I also swapped to my older cassette, torqued to spec... no luck.  Sad

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #3 - 08/16/14 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
May be time to have a shop check the rear triangle for true.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 08/16/14 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #5 - 08/16/14 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
ludey wrote on 08/16/14 at 12:41pm:

When I first started having the problem, der hanger was my very first thought.  However, I replaced it with a new one and it did not solve the problem.  I also swapped to my older cassette, torqued to spec... no luck.  Sad

Even a new rear hanger will not insure it is properly aligned.  Over half of the new hangers I install at the shop need to be realigned when installed.  That's why I always check the hanger alignment, regardless.  If it has not been checked it could very well be the problem.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 08/27/14 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
New bike solves the whole issue.  Cool

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - 08/27/14 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
or a new VW Jetta.........Mary K pink Tongue

IP Logged

RumbleOn

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #8 - 08/28/14 at 12:16am
Print Post  
You mentioned a new chain, perhaps a 10 speed when you need a 9 speed or an 11 speed where you need a 10 speed. I could see how a slightly too narrow chain could cause an issue like that but I'm really just throwing it out there. Did it work we'll before the new chain?

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #9 - 08/28/14 at 2:49am
Print Post  
to add some info, he has  3x10, which to me seems weird.  You don't see that set up often and i wonder if it's finicky to dial in.

IP Logged

timbercomp
Project Board

First Flight Bicycles

Reply #10 - 08/28/14 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Just had a bike in the shop with similar shifting woes and found that the axle was cracked and shifting under pressure.

Wes Davidson
First Flight Bicycles
wes@firstflightbikes.com
IP Logged

renoirbud
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 08/28/14 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
RumbleOn wrote on 08/28/14 at 12:16am:
You mentioned a new chain, perhaps a 10 speed when you need a 9 speed or an 11 speed where you need a 10 speed. I could see how a slightly too narrow chain could cause an issue like that but I'm really just throwing it out there. Did it work we'll before the new chain?

Running an 11 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette does not create this problem.

I just had a similar issue and thought that my chain jumping around was the cause (adjustment, misalignment etc..)

The issue ended up the ring drive in my King hubs not engaging every 16th time (aprox)  This would cause a freewheel forward about a 1/8th turn which would knock the chain out of gear.

I was able to duplicate this on the stand.  I have lubed the internals of the ring drive and the problem is gone on the stand, hopefully its gone when I get on the trail too.
« Last Edit: 08/28/14 at 8:53pm by renoirbud »  

E-Bikes = Trail Closures

IP Logged

Woods Rider
Small Cog

I wanna ride

Reply #12 - 08/29/14 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Ran into the same problem a few years ago, after many new parts due to a crash the shifting was never quite right. The shifting to the large gears was ok but not crisp, going up the gears could be adjusted fine but down suffered, adjusted for down and up suffered. The problem was due to the cable routing and the bends having too tight a radius. I made the loop to the rear derailleur a bit larger and the problem was solved. One more thing when cutting cable housing is to make sure the opening is round and allows the cable to move freely and use the cable caps.

Government has no reason to use common sense or be efficient as it pays no price for failure.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 08/29/14 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I'm currently experiencing a similar problem. Mine is slipping/skipping under load. I've replaced the chain (it was worn out), the crankset (it was worn out too), the cassette, the derailleur hanger (and adjusted the new hanger), lubed the derailleur cable, had a shop look at it and adjust the derailleur, and another very knowledgeable person as well. Nothing seems to work. The only time I have a problem is after I've gone through a bumpy section and it seems like the chain may have dropped to the next smaller cog. I'm not sure that's what happened because I see that after it's skipped and I stop to look at it. So I'm interested to see what you find out, though my problem is a little different.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

ludey
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 09/02/14 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Whoa, I'm a bit behind on the replies.  Thanks everyone.  The one thing mentioned in here that I haven't looked at was the axle.  I'll inspect it.   

I certainly like RobP's idea the best so far Wink The funny thing is, I've already begun planting the seed for a new bike for next season with the wife.  As usual, she just shakes her head and says "whatever."  That's a "go ahead" in my book.

Still experiencing the problems btw.  I haven't really tried anything more than what is mentioned in my original post.  Lately, I've been just going 2 gears each time I want to shift, which 75% of the time results in one cog change.  I just go two, and when it shifts one, I click back one... all of which results in a really ridiculous habit that I am forming, lol.

One thing occurred to me as I read the post about chains.  I remember when I swapped out the chain, the length didn't align exactly to a link when I put it side-by-side with the old chain.  I can't remember if I went a half link shorter or longer but I wouldn't think that could be causing it.  Besides, it shifted fine for a while (2 months of riding 5X a week) before the problems started to occur.  I think that's what makes this the most mysterious - it was fine with the exact gear for a while and this problem just started happening seemingly out of no where.

I'll be taking a look at it again later today (will check the axle and inspect hub) and will post up if I find anything.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 09/02/14 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
ludey wrote on 08/16/14 at 11:32am:

I've been living with it for some time now (couple months) and at this point I have swapped just about everything on the drive train that is related to rear shifting.  Derailleur broke so that got swapped, swapped to my older cassette, swapped the Der hanger, rear shifter broke so that got replaced, new cables/housings.... and yet the problem persists.  The only thing I haven't replaced with brand new is the chain.  But, the chain is not that old, I swapped it in May of this year, and I have serious doubts as to that being the problem.

I just re-read this a little more carefully and the highlighted sections are a concern.  I have never had much luck swapping chains and cassettes independently of each other.  Sometimes you can throw on a new chain.  Additionally depending on what kind of chainrings (steel vs alum etc) you have in the front you could have issues there as well.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #16 - 09/02/14 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
ludey wrote on 09/02/14 at 12:51pm:
One thing occurred to me as I read the post about chains.  I remember when I swapped out the chain, the length didn't align exactly to a link when I put it side-by-side with the old chain.  I can't remember if I went a half link shorter or longer but I wouldn't think that could be causing it. 

There many more knowledgeable people on this forum than me, but my understanding is that when you measure a new chain against an old one they're not going to perfectly correspond because of the "stretch" in the old one. When measuring, every 8 or 10 inches or so you need to re-align the links to end up with the same number of links, rather than try to have the same length. But I don't know if that will have any impact on your problem.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #17 - 09/02/14 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
chain length is not the problem.

IP Logged

ludey
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 09/02/14 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
RobP wrote on 09/02/14 at 4:51pm:

I just re-read this a little more carefully and the highlighted sections are a concern.  I have never had much luck swapping chains and cassettes independently of each other.  Sometimes you can throw on a new chain.  Additionally depending on what kind of chainrings (steel vs alum etc) you have in the front you could have issues there as well.

Yeah, I typically go with a new cassette every 2 chains.  In this case, I replaced them new at the same time.  All was good for a while.  It was only when I started having problems that I swapped back to my older cassette just to see if that fixed the problems.  When it didn't, I put the newer one back on.

So, can you explain a little bit more on the metal type of my front chain rings?  How can that effect the shifting on the rear derailleur? 

IP Logged

ludey
Small Cog

Reply #19 - 09/02/14 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Cherokee wrote on 09/02/14 at 5:03pm:

There many more knowledgeable people on this forum than me, but my understanding is that when you measure a new chain against an old one they're not going to perfectly correspond because of the "stretch" in the old one. When measuring, every 8 or 10 inches or so you need to re-align the links to end up with the same number of links, rather than try to have the same length. But I don't know if that will have any impact on your problem.

I'm almost positive that's what I did (ended up counting the links). 

But I agree with what sager said, I don't think chain length is the problem, even if I was a link off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print