Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Emergency crew at wwc, sunday 8/17 (Read 3794 times)
Buellernc

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Emergency crew at wwc, sunday 8/17
08/17/14 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Anybody know what happened ? Hopefully nothing too bad.  There was a fire truck, ambulance, and a  fire dept. pickup truck towing a 4x4 utility vehicle. I saw them drive the 4x4 off the trailer and head down the trail.  This was in the field at the top of the hill near the highway end of the field.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

nicedart
Coaster Bike

Re: Emergency crew at wwc, sunday 8/17
Reply #1 - 08/17/14 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
That sounds bad. That's either down toward tower 93 or the slalom section. Both areas with potential for some serious wrecks.

Hope who ever it is gets out of there with out anything major.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 08/17/14 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
They need to adjust the profiles on some of the Jumps on the Tower 93 trail, otherwise they are going to be steady haulin' people out.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #3 - 08/17/14 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
I think they steady haul people out with or without tower 93.  I've seen multiple in one weekend morning.

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #4 - 08/18/14 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 08/17/14 at 9:00pm:
They need to adjust the profiles on some of the Jumps on the Tower 93 trail, otherwise they are going to be steady haulin' people out.

This!

Those jumps are definitely not built to the speed that you can carry out there. They need a much longer table or maybe to camel hump them so you can have the option to pump roll or jump. The old slalom course is built pretty well and all the jumps connect up with the speed you carry. I have a feeling they were going for something a bit smaller on the tower 93 section. Maybe if the just take the edge off the lip?! so its more of a big roller.

I like the addition of that section though it is a lot of fun and hope it can just be tweaked if necessary and not removed.

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SycoCell
Coaster Bike

I can ride my bike with
no handlebars

Reply #5 - 08/18/14 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I agree with the jump section.

I was out there yesterday and didn't notice any emergency crews, but I do know that they go out there quite a bit and train.  Could possibly have been a training exercise.

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 08/20/14 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
I have thought this same thing since that section was finished...  What is the point of having a roller with a lip?  Not sure what they were going for there, but it's definitely a fubar.  A few of the larger jumps are fun, mainly the gap jumps that are the proper size for the speed you're carrying.

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #7 - 08/20/14 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Do I understand some of the posts on this thread to be saying that if someone falls, it may the fault of the brainless dumb pile of dirt?  What ever happened to "check things out, ride responsible and within your limits".  As for a jump on a steep hill, don't everyone have brakes?  Are some of you pro's too good to use brakes?   People fall every day but do not blame the "hill" or "ruts" or "roots" or "trees" or "wetness" or whatever.  Hey, it's a MOUNTAIN BIKE trail. 

I am not saying that some of the jumps should not be altered but I can't blame the pile of dirt for accidents.  We can report the problem/suggestion to the responsible party and meanwhile do not do the difficult/dangerous jump if you can't handle it.........every time.  Gracious, don't let your testosterone get you hurt.

GeneD

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #8 - 08/20/14 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
GeneD wrote on 08/20/14 at 9:36pm:
Do I understand some of the posts on this thread to be saying that if someone falls, it may the fault of the brainless dumb pile of dirt?  What ever happened to "check things out, ride responsible and within your limits".  As for a jump on a steep hill, don't everyone have brakes?  Are some of you pro's too good to use brakes?   People fall every day but do not blame the "hill" or "ruts" or "roots" or "trees" or "wetness" or whatever.  Hey, it's a MOUNTAIN BIKE trail. 

I am not saying that some of the jumps should not be altered but I can't blame the pile of dirt for accidents.  We can report the problem/suggestion to the responsible party and meanwhile do not do the difficult/dangerous jump if you can't handle it.........every time.  Gracious, don't let your testosterone get you hurt.

I never once mentioned that it was the jumps fault. I stated they could be better  built for the speeds you can hit them at. I am a firm believer of look before you leap and if you eject yourself then it is your own fault. It is possible to no brake that entire line no problem you just land flat on the other side of the "jump" instead of being able to catch a downside, just not as fun to me but I am also sure some people think they are spot on.

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #9 - 08/21/14 at 12:53am
Print Post  
This is a tough one because nobody wants to see trails dumbed down - just look at all the back and forth about the Backyard Trail.

What the issue comes down to is a trail builder's understanding of their typical rider's profile and either building accordingly, or if offering an advanced option to mark it well and provide a go around line.

Some of the recently rebuilt sections of the WWP allow people to pick up speed very quickly, with little to no advance warning of a direction or pitch change.  Many of them are right at the start of the trail network, where many riders, regardless of ability enter.

I started a similar thread about a month ago when I came up on a rider that got bucked off his bike into a tree because he was carrying too much speed.  It really wasn't much fun to see someone that had taken that hard of a hit, and the panic of his friends riding with him as they did not know the extent of his injuries.

While I love the new sections, there is a certain amount of validity regarding the feedback that they be tweaked to prevent what seems to be a trend of people getting hurt in the same places on the trail.

IP Logged

nicedart
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 08/21/14 at 2:54am
Print Post  
MTBman1127 wrote on 08/20/14 at 11:03pm:

I never once mentioned that it was the jumps fault. I stated they could be better  built for the speeds you can hit them at. I am a firm believer of look before you leap and if you eject yourself then it is your own fault. It is possible to no brake that entire line no problem you just land flat on the other side of the "jump" instead of being able to catch a downside, just not as fun to me but I am also sure some people think they are spot on.

+1 
They straitened out the switch back near the top. I blew my front tire coming in there to hot the week before. Landed right into the berm. (I believe I can fly...) Superman'd it right across the top of the berm into the bushes and had that long walk of shame back to my car.

Obviously that was a bit to much speed. I'm still learning.

So you can carry more speed thru the section now. Then you hit, I don't even know what to call it, a jump that could easily be made into a double for the people that want to carry that speed or you could just pump thru with less speed.

It's just that the profile of the jump is so steep, I bet the pitch is almost perfect for a back flip to be honest. You wont see me tryn that, and if you do be sure to tape it  Cheesy

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 08/21/14 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
GeneD wrote on 08/20/14 at 9:36pm:

Huh...?  Don't remember reading any posts that sounded like that, but I could be wrong... 

I have been riding mountain bikes for most of my life.  I also used to race motocross, so I know how to build and ride proper jumps.  I think most people's point here is that the jumps have a weird profile and are more of a hazard than they are fun.  The line from the top of toilet bowl is leaps and bounds better, but they are also larger so they aren't for everyone.  I am not in any way, shape or form saying that any trail should be "dumbed down" for a less capable rider!  Just saying that when some of the more capable riders make the suggestion, it's probably worth looking into.  Cheesy

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #12 - 08/22/14 at 11:24am
Print Post  
to MSEDLY.  I agree.......you are saying the same thing I said in my second paragraph.

GeneD

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #13 - 08/22/14 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
When adding additional features and jumps there are 2 things that need to be observed.

1. Is it an appropriate place for that option?
2. Progression.

I hate short ramps on jumps.  Especially the one's I've built in the past.  My rule of thumb has always been build the take off at least a bike length to a bike length and a half before you hit the lip.  Always for navigation of the jump regardless of your speed.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #14 - 08/22/14 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 08/22/14 at 3:42pm:
My rule of thumb has always been build the take off at least a bike length to a bike length and a half before you hit the lip.  Always for navigation of the jump regardless of your speed. 

I agree.  My "take offs" are at least 10-12 feet.....a little extra effort but worth it to the jumpers and trail integrity.  Of course I am not talking about small jumps where you get no higher than 2 ft off the ground.  Also, I always "test" it a few times, most likely making changes to the lip area to get it like it should be.  I would think the jumps are tested/tweeked a few times by experienced "jumpers" at Whitewater, but maybe not.  Maybe some guys need to sign up to be "jump testers", giving their input.

GeneD

IP Logged

slayemf
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 08/22/14 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
when all else fails, tuck and duck when hot lava comes....You can always scrub your hits for comfort then tap the brake if you need to. Always look ahead at where you are going and if you are not commfy with it then bail out...I like number 2 on Marks response. Progression dosen't come over night and it is not there the minute you go for it. It takes a minute to figure out your comfort zone. No reason at all to blame anybody nor the dirt...It happens, they call them accidents for a reason, you just have to get back up and see where you went wrong and go at it slow,y then as time goes on you can just rip right through a good line with the hits. Always a bonus to have good control on hits in your back pocket I found out.. Scrub then let the bike do the rest but use your nuggin , brain, head or whatever..just be safe...I have not yet hit these hits yet so I will take the safe line first ....Now ride a bike and just have fun out there, we all can't be Steve Peat....oh ,,,Hill is going to take this weekends win...

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #16 - 08/23/14 at 1:38am
Print Post  
I love a few good jumps or features on a trail, the more the better.  But there IS a science to building one that doesn't throw you out of the flow.  It's one thing if the feature is natural, you roll with what Mother Nature lays out.  But if the trail is sculpted/created on purpose the jumps should accentuate the experience.  No matter how fast you are riding. +1 to the advice about scoping out the trail first...if you can Smiley

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Re: Emergency crew at wwc, sunday 8/17 - again today
Reply #17 - 08/23/14 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Happened again today, 8/23. Same location under the power lines at the end of the parking lot. I asked one of the EMTs if it was a training exercise and he said no. He would not say anything else.

IP Logged

MarcusB
Forum Administrator
marcustest
In The Loop
IB Room
Project Board

www.SpeedyLizard.com

Reply #18 - 08/23/14 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Here's my measly $.02

First, I am no expert mountain biker.  Second, I am not that great at doing jumps.   Third, I used to watch a lot of BMX back in the day and a lot of motorcross these days (thanks to my brother who races).

With that said, I don't think the jumps at Tower 93 were designed for high speed, downhillers riding downhill bikes nor trail bikes.  Not too many people around here own them and in my humble opinion, you don't need them around here (unless of course you make regular trips to Pisgah).

The jumps out there clearly look like, to me anyhow, that they were designed for low-travel cross country, hardtail or even a rigid.  If ridden on one of those bikes, with a BMX mindset, they'll flow just fine.  If you're riding your big squish bike and expect to haul arse with a full faced helmet and protective gear like what we just watched on the world cup, I'm afraid you have the wrong trail.   Grin

I sat back and watched a bunch of folks riding it from everything to trail bikes to cross country and it appeared to me that folks were jumping the rollers and rolling the jumps.  They looked very awkward and it didn't look smooth at all.  Then I saw a couple of guys, one on a complete rigid single speed flow through it like butta.  It was very cool to see some talented guys ride it with the way it was designed to be ridden.

Again, just my measly $.02

IP Logged

Trail Junky
Small Cog

Reply #19 - 08/23/14 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
While I have only ridden Tower 93 once and had a little trouble with flow, it didn't seem especially prone to design-related issues that will lead to more injuries than elsewhere out there.  People should not be living on the edge on unfamilar sections.  we all should be riding smart, especially the less experienced.  In this case, stick to the soil or at least minimal air until it is known well and only jump what is to have a safe landing.  Otherwise, be prepared and able to own the consequences.  Plus, always work up to the big air even if the jump ahead looks it could be killer.

Landfill Mining Co.
Managing the (Un)natural Resources of Tomorrow

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print