Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Sherman log ride (Read 779 times)
Kajak
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Sherman log ride
08/25/14 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Rode SB for the first time in about a year yesterday and was sad to see the log ride out of commission. What happened? Looks like someone cut out the last bit.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

evan9r

Re: Sherman log ride
Reply #1 - 08/25/14 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Not sure what happened to it, its been out of commission for a couple months now. At first glance it looked like part of it rotted away.

Also noticed today that someone has removed some of the rocks in the first rock garden after the 2nd log. I guess the root gnome from Fisher has migrated to Sherman now...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy
IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 08/25/14 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
It doesnt take much guessing, you can see how bad that log rotted away on the entrance and in a few other key areas. I am sure that is the reason.  It is a sad  Sad,   That was a good size, not too big or too scary, but dead trees rot.  Additionally the ladder bridge on top of it wasn't made out of PT lumber as it was rotting too.

It was fun while it lasted.

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #3 - 08/26/14 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
evan9r wrote on 08/25/14 at 8:58pm:
Not sure what happened to it, its been out of commission for a couple months now. At first glance it looked like part of it rotted away.

Also noticed today that someone has removed some of the rocks in the first rock garden after the 2nd log. I guess the root gnome from Fisher has migrated to Sherman now...

No, it's the Rock gnome of Sherman Branch... Last year riding through the lake loop I noticed a hole in the trail where a rock had been...  thought someone probably hit the rock hard and dislodged it out of the ground.  Rode another 15+ yards and saw another, hole, then another and another.... after all was said and done, I had lost count at over 10+ rocks removed... this was at the climb going up after the real rocky rock garden/rooty section once you traverse over the creek on the lake loop.  I saw one of the larger rocks which was removed still near the trail.  The spot it was removed out of left a pretty good wheel catching hole and so since that rock was still there I put the rock back in place.  Whoever did it didn't even bother to fill the holes in and the big one could've easily ate an unsuspecting rider's wheel and threw them over.

RIP to the log ride... it was definitely fun... and was one of the first features I ever rode when I started to MTB.
« Last Edit: 08/26/14 at 5:03pm by csquared »  

IP Logged

ECUdude

Reply #4 - 08/28/14 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
First time I went out to sherman, I was going to do it, until I noticed that there wasn't a log to ride on.  Seems like we should come up with something to fill that void.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print