Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Lake James (Read 766 times)
Pkniland19
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Lake James
08/26/14 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
MTB projects description of Lake James is as follows:

"While new-school in design, the trails at Lake James State Park provide a back-country experience with an open feel and solid mileage for any level of rider"

I was hoping someone could clear up what "new-school in design" means?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Yeti SB5.5
SC Chameleon

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Re: Lake James
Reply #1 - 08/26/14 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
I think that means machine cut trails. I heard the trail there were lots of fun. I haven't made it up there yet, but would like to check them out soon.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

stretch

Reply #2 - 08/26/14 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
I rode there two weeks ago.  "New school" seems to mean relatively few roots.   

The blue trails are similar to the newer trails at Lake Norman...flowy, decent elevation change.  Machine-cut into the hillside.  The green trail felt like it winds around a little aimlessly through the woods, but it was fun, too, and a little more rooty.   

They're worth riding if you're looking for something different, but I was surprised that it feels more like a Charlotte trail than an Asheville trail....if that makes any sense.   

IP Logged

Pkniland19
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 08/26/14 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
It makes sense, I'm doing a Harper Creek Hike/Lake James Bike Labor day.  It sounds like the trail wont wear me out for the hike.

Thanks

Yeti SB5.5
SC Chameleon

IP Logged

Dirkdee
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 08/26/14 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
If I was going to Harper Creek I would much rather ride there... not that I've riden lake James but it sounds a little tame considering it's so close to some real good riding just up the road.

d

IP Logged

PeterH
Coaster Bike

Rookie

Reply #5 - 08/26/14 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I rode Alan today for the first time. The East Loop is closed due to wet conditions and was roped off. I think the total miles were 9qith out repeating.

IP Logged

Pkniland19
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 08/27/14 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Dirkdee wrote on 08/26/14 at 7:26pm:
If I was going to Harper Creek I would much rather ride there... not that I've riden lake James but it sounds a little tame considering it's so close to some real good riding just up the road.

d

Wheres the good stuff at Harper? Ive done a little research and it looked like it was mostly hiking.
« Last Edit: 08/27/14 at 12:39pm by Pkniland19 »  

Yeti SB5.5
SC Chameleon

IP Logged

Dirkdee
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 08/27/14 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Pkniland19 wrote on 08/27/14 at 12:39pm:

Wheres the good stuff at Harper? Ive done a little research and it looked like it was mostly hiking.

A lot of it is designated as Hiking on the maps but it's a bit of a grey area (for example there are no "No Bikes" signs at the actual trailheads)... so many of the trails up there are very remote and don't see much traffic at all. I believe there is a group in Boone working the get the rules clarified and the trails officially opened up. That's the main reason why you wont find much info online about it.

One ride that we do is Yancy's Ridge. This goes from the parkway to Edgemont, the first short section is closed to bikes other than that it's all good. About 6 good downhill sections on that ride. Schoolhouse ridge and "21 Jumps" (aka Wilson Ridge) is another well known loop in the Edgemont/Mortimer area.

Greentown/Raiders/Harpers is also a good one that starts on hwy 181. I think the last section of Harpers to the parking lot is hiking only and sees a fair bit of foot traffic but I see bikes on there a lot. I think the rangers are ok with it as long as you are considerate and give way to hikers.

For all rides up that way be sure to have a map and a gps if you haven't riden them before, riding alone is probably not a good idea either.

d

IP Logged

Pkniland19
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 08/27/14 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Dirkdee wrote on 08/27/14 at 2:34pm:

A lot of it is designated as Hiking on the maps but it's a bit of a grey area (for example there are no "No Bikes" signs at the actual trailheads)... so many of the trails up there 

d

Thanks D

Yeti SB5.5
SC Chameleon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print