Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Uwharrie Inquiry (Read 653 times)
Bikin Dad
Coaster Bike

A Dad, A Dreamer & Rider
of 2 wheelin' fun!

Uwharrie Inquiry
08/27/14 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Sadly, first to admit it's been over a year or so since I've ridden Uwharrie, sorry trail fairies Embarrassed. How's the current condition and thoughts on taking my 'tween who rides a 26" hardtail. Let's just say he rode Sherman for the first time a while back an....um....well, needed some positive reinforcement on the roller coaster loop, as well as the exit back up. October 4th is IMBA, take a kid MTB day, and thought about taking him and some pals there. 

-Trails to avoid based off work/closure, etc?
-Path recommened, possible knowledge of total miles?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

A working Dad for 3, plus new bike stuff, founder of Bikin' Dads Adventures & ready to ride!
IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Re: Uwharrie Inquiry
Reply #1 - 08/27/14 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
You could just ride the Service roads/fire roads?  As to the Single track, my biggest concern would be the climbing.... the descents IMHO are fairly mellow with a little bit of tech here and there.  Nothing to terribly steep or technical but spots where you could get hurt because the trail is pretty rocky and a few technical spots.  If your tween was having issues with the Roller Coaster loop I would stick to riding the service roads and maybe SuperTree.  Just my thoughts trying to make an assessment based on what you provided.  Keyauwee can be fun but it's a lot of climbing come out and the descent can get a little loose.

Why not try some of the other trail systems?
« Last Edit: 08/27/14 at 9:03pm by csquared »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #2 - 08/27/14 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Trips for kids does a big ride at Beatty every year for that day.  Trailblazers volunteer as ride leaders and their is a cookout afterwards.  It's a pretty awesome day.

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

lv2mtnbk
Big Ring

body built for downhill

Reply #3 - 08/28/14 at 12:49am
Print Post  
If the trails are closed on Labor Day day to predicted rain, 3 of us dads are aking our daughters to URE. All experianced MTB riders. We will be doing Wood Run and Supertree. About 7 miles. First timer doable. You are welcome to join us. No drop ride...because they will be waiting on me.
This is our back up plan. 
Plan A is Warrior Creek, weather permitting.
« Last Edit: 08/28/14 at 12:50am by lv2mtnbk »  

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

IP Logged

Dennis
In The Loop

Reply #4 - 08/28/14 at 2:32am
Print Post  
My suggestion would be to ride with lv2mtnbk and his crew at Warrior Creek or URE, weather permitting. If nothing else you can enjoy the entertainment value of Keith trying to keep up with his daughter. Both trail systems have beginner friendly ride options.

Also, I highly recommend bringing your kids and their friends out to Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day on October 4 at Francis Beatty Park. This is an international event with kids participating all over the world to enjoy the sport of mountain biking. The Charlotte area typically has 70-80 kids riding and, with adult leaders, as many as 100 people on the trail. We follow it up with a cookout lunch and time to brag about our awesome bike riding skills. Hope to see you there. 

IP Logged

Bikin Dad
Coaster Bike

A Dad, A Dreamer & Rider
of 2 wheelin' fun!

Reply #5 - 08/28/14 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies & invite, sadly I'll be "Laboring" on Labor Day Angry ...Regarding other trail systems, he handles Fisher Farm/USNWC green's great, Lake Norman portions....I believe it was the roots & the 1st time factor on new trail that shook him up a bit. Definately will consider the Trips for Kids event, thanks again for it!

A working Dad for 3, plus new bike stuff, founder of Bikin' Dads Adventures & ready to ride!
IP Logged

lv2mtnbk
Big Ring

body built for downhill

Reply #6 - 08/28/14 at 2:59am
Print Post  
Dennis wrote on 08/28/14 at 2:32am:
My suggestion would be to ride with lv2mtnbk and his crew at Warrior Creek or URE, weather permitting. If nothing else you can enjoy the entertainment value of Keith trying to keep up with his daughter. Both trail systems have beginner friendly ride options.

Also, I highly recommend bringing your kids and their friends out to Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day on October 4 at Francis Beatty Park. This is an international event with kids participating all over the world to enjoy the sport of mountain biking. The Charlotte area typically has 70-80 kids riding and, with adult leaders, as many as 100 people on the trail. We follow it up with a cookout lunch and time to brag about our awesome bike riding skills. Hope to see you there. 

I resemble that remark. But yes she has started dropping  me on some climbs. Lips Sealed

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

IP Logged

lv2mtnbk
Big Ring

body built for downhill

Reply #7 - 08/28/14 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Bikin Dad wrote on 08/28/14 at 2:33am:
Thanks for the replies & invite, sadly I'll be "Laboring" on Labor Day Angry ...Regarding other trail systems, he handles Fisher Farm/USNWC green's great, Lake Norman portions....I believe it was the roots & the 1st time factor on new trail that shook him up a bit. Definately will consider the Trips for Kids event, thanks again for it!

Check your pms

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print