Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic 180mm avid to 160 shimano front P/M (Read 591 times)
flynbryan19
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

180mm avid to 160 shimano front P/M
08/30/14 at 2:23am
Print Post  
I need a little assistance guys.  I'm wrapping up my build on my x-cal and have a set of Shimano XT brakes to replace my old Avid Elixir1's.  The bike came with a 180 front / 160 rear setup for rotors.  I am wanting to go to a 160 front / 140 rear combo.  I already have what I need for the 140 rear swap, but am confused on what I need to do for the front...  I have searched the internet as well as MTBR looking for the solution but only seem to be able to find people going from a 160 UP to a 180.  Not the other way around.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do to change my 180mm front setup to a 160mm?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Re: 180mm avid to 160 shimano front P/M
Reply #1 - 08/30/14 at 11:55am
Print Post  
You can probably just bolt the caliper right to the post on the fork...Most post mount forks are designed for 160 rotors...Although my x fusion is post mount 180(but it is a longer travel fork)...Make sure you bolt it straight to the fork with no adapter....
« Last Edit: 08/30/14 at 11:57am by FredRubble »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 08/30/14 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the response.  In its current configuration there is a 20mm adapter between the fork and the caliper.  I was thinking I might be able to just straight mount it since I didn't see any options online for a smaller adapter.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 08/30/14 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Sounds about right 180-160=20mm.... Wink

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 08/30/14 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
When going from Avid Elixirs to Shimano XT I had to remove ALL of the spacers and adapters to get proper contact between the pads and the rotors.  Chances are, like mentioned above, you can probably just bolt the caliper directly to the fork mounts and be able to use a 160MM adapter.

If the mounts on the rear of the frame are for 140MM rotors then it'll be the same idea.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #5 - 08/30/14 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
The Shimano caliper bolts directly to the fork post mounts WITH NO WASHERS IN BETWEEN for the 160mm rotor. Smiley

BTW POST 10,000!!!!!!!!   DANCING BANANAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 08/30/14 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Decided to take the rear rotor (160mm) and put it on the front just for trail fitment.  You guys are right.  It mounted right up.  I bought a mount already to convert the rear to 140mm.  Just waiting on my rotors to come in now and it'll be done.  The hoses are going to be a touch long, so I "might" take them in to the local shop to let them shorten them up depending on how long they are.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print