Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Badin Lake ORV trails (Uwharrie) (Read 1578 times)
zino
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Badin Lake ORV trails (Uwharrie)
09/11/14 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I have ridden these off and on for years- but the trails have been tremendously upgraded to be mostly well-draining rump and roll water bar style.  We rode today and honestly I am not sure I've had more fun ever riding a bike both up and down- rediculous fun, outrageous fun.  I'd stay off the red and black trails as I have yet to do them, but the others are all incredible.  Take your low gear bike for the steep hills and then be ready to get some serious air if you can handle it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Re: Badin Lake ORV trails (Uwharrie)
Reply #1 - 09/12/14 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Those trails are lots of fun! I rode them on dirt bikes and four wheelers back 30 years ago. They would be very challenging on a MTB. I have even done trail work on them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

zino
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 09/12/14 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Again.....the trails are completely re-done for the most part.  Completely different than just 5 years ago.

IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 09/12/14 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Back in my rockcrawling 4x4 days, I used to be at Uwharrie every other weekend.  I can only envision bad things happening if a built up buggy on 44" swampers is climbing around a corner as a downhill mtb'er is charging through.  I do know who will lose in that situation.  I've had too many close calls with dirt bikers out there that I've felt the trails needed to have separate designated lines for 4 wheel vs. 2 wheel ORVs.  The only time you'll catch me on my mtb at Uwharrie is on the mtb trails.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 09/12/14 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
A couple of us went out to that area probably 5 years ago.  "Wheelers" had an interesting look on their faces when we asked if we could go first because they were slowing us down on the DH portions.

The user conflict wasn't really an issue you can pretty much hear the wheelers coming and everyone got along.

If there was a good route to take it would be interesting for sure.

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #5 - 09/12/14 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
I've done a few rides on the Horse trails and the ORV trails.  The rock garden on Daniel is wild on the mountain bike!

Aren't the trails closed to motorized traffic in the winter/early spring?  I've done rides on the ORV trail in march and didn't see and motorized traffic.

If the trails have been redone then I will have to check them out again

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

zino
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 09/12/14 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Zero problem with the off road vehicles.   You can hear them for miles; they are few and very far between; and the terrain is such that even when they are being as efficient as possible they can not go fast whatsoever- it is impossible.  This isn't a recommendation for others to go, just to the few who want to explore.

Long ago during the Uwharrie trail meetings I learned that most mountain bikers go nuts even riding a fire road- they want nothing but singletrack here in NC.   I like some variance and few others, very few, also like this.
« Last Edit: 09/12/14 at 8:45pm by zino »  

IP Logged

zino
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 09/12/14 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Yes the non extreme trails (red and black in the map) have been re-done.  For 75% they are a wide version of the Uwharrie Keyawee trail, rump and rolling for erosion control/drainage.  The biggest issue that we had was simply controlling air time and speed on the long, long, long downhills.
« Last Edit: 09/12/14 at 10:03pm by zino »  

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #8 - 09/15/14 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
I've been wanting to go out there for the longest time after seeing recent footage late last year... here's even more recent footage from about 2 months ago... unfortunately I will be out for quite some time with a recent ACL reconstruction... but... this looked like it could be loads of speed/fun/good times!

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #9 - 09/15/14 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Looks pretty sick to me....I'm in.....So it's cool to ride non-motorized vehicles out there?

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - 09/15/14 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
BITD that is what we rode at Uwharrie, didn't have a choice. Peep this, rolling down a wash/trail on your Raleigh Instinct, Tioga stem.Suntour chainstay U-brake, Farrmer John tyres, Oakley grips, thumb shifters..............we are spoiled these days.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 09/15/14 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
SCOTT_T wrote on 09/15/14 at 8:52pm:
BITD that is what we rode at Uwharrie, didn't have a choice. Peep this, rolling down a wash/trail on your Raleigh Instinct, Tioga stem.Suntour chainstay U-brake, Farrmer John tyres, Oakley grips, thumb shifters..............we are spoiled these days.

How much purple ano?

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - 09/16/14 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Skewers and brake levers

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #13 - 09/16/14 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
We used to park off 555 and lollipop it from there.

Haven't been there in years... and I'm bored, so maybe soon.

« Last Edit: 09/16/14 at 2:09pm by teamdicky »  

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #14 - 09/17/14 at 11:32am
Print Post  
zino wrote on 09/12/14 at 10:02pm:
Yes the non extreme trails (red and black in the map) have been re-done.  For 75% they are a wide version of the Uwharrie Keyawee trail, rump and rolling for erosion control/drainage.  The biggest issue that we had was simply controlling air time and speed on the long, long, long downhills.

Can you suggest a route starting from parking lot on 555?

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

zino
Coaster Bike

Reply #15 - 09/17/14 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Again, on the map like that I posted, ride all the trails BUT the red and black ones.  You may have to walk 300-500 feet during the 16 miles of it, but that's all.  You will however, have some granny gear hills- they'll be A) water barred repeatedly or B) just steep with short technical fun or loose rocks for a short period making them very challenging.  The trails are market repeatedly and easy to follow.

I am 60 years old and I had a blast- I rode with a Cat 1 racer and he too had a blast.
« Last Edit: 09/17/14 at 6:54pm by zino »  

IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #16 - 09/17/14 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
johnski wrote on 09/12/14 at 3:27pm:
The only time you'll catch me on my mtb at Uwharrie is on the mtb trails.

Based on what I've been reading, I recant my previous statement.  It does sound like a pile of fun.  I'd actually like to hit some of the same obstacles I crawled over with my bronco back in the day.

IP Logged

NC_Pyga
Coaster Bike

Reply #17 - 09/17/14 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I'd love to give those trails a go too. So when is the next group ride out there going to be  Cool

IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #18 - 09/18/14 at 12:10am
Print Post  
zino wrote on 09/17/14 at 6:52pm:
Again, on the map like that I posted, ride all the trails BUT the red and black ones.  You may have to walk 300-500 feet during the 16 miles of it, but that's all.  You will however, have some granny gear hills- they'll be A) water barred repeatedly or B) just steep with short technical fun or loose rocks for a short period making them very challenging.  The trails are market repeatedly and easy to follow.

I am 60 years old and I had a blast- I rode with a Cat 1 racer and he too had a blast.

um yeaaaaah. I get and can read maps. Would you recomend clockwise our counter clockwise on the lollipop for the entire trail. Same question for the small sections. E.g. Would you do 92, 79, 89 in one direction over another? 

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

zino
Coaster Bike

Reply #19 - 09/18/14 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Our route:

Counter clockwise

Parked off road 553 at the PP area (where the brown hotdog guy symbol is)
Took orange 92 (the shortest way- the directly west direction - up the hill) to green 79
Then green 89 south (down on the map) to Art Lilly Memorial (Soup Bowl)
Then green 96 back to road 553
Then blue 91 (had to walk up part of Little Daniel Hill Climb) back to where we started.   
This was a little over 12 miles

Took a break and then looped counter clockwise orange 92 (the long way - northern part on the map) to blue 93 to green 79 back east on orange to the start.  Over 16 miles I think I remember.

The triangles on the map do mark to tough areas but honestly we messed around on these areas and had fun with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print