Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bike Tires - Trails in Charlotte Area (Read 1628 times)
John M
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Bike Tires - Trails in Charlotte Area
10/01/14 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Want to see what people say for riding North Meck, Fisher, Sherman and Francis Beatty, what tires for a 29er do you suggest are good for those trails.  Talking tubed tires, not tubeless.

I am not a fast rider, just like having the traction where needed going on these uphill clay and rooty sections.  Maybe something that doesn't wear out quickly as well?  Thanks for any inputs

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Re: Bike Tires - Trails in Charlotte Area
Reply #1 - 10/01/14 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Specialized Caption or Ground Control in a 2.0/2.1. Specialized Purgatory 2.3 in the front.  Good for year round riding!  Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 10/01/14 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
x2 on the Specialized tires. Can't go wrong with any that cycle path mentioned.  Also, remember that you get what you pay for.  Most cheap tires perform that way.  Speshy tires are not on the cheap, but they ride great, and are very durable.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #3 - 10/01/14 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 10/01/14 at 5:04pm:
Specialized Caption or Ground Control in a 2.0/2.1. Specialized Purgatory 2.3 in the front.  Good for year round riding!  Smiley

sorry, don't mean to be picky, but he may have a hard time finding a Caption.  CP meant Captain

BTW, don't get the sworks version for regular riding, especially if tubeless.  I find the sidewalls become very porous (read like a seive) after only a few months.

I ride an Ardent (2.4) up front and a Captain (2.2) in the back.

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 10/01/14 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Control casing FTW

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #5 - 10/02/14 at 4:01am
Print Post  
sager wrote on 10/01/14 at 5:41pm:

sorry, don't mean to be picky, but he may have a hard time finding a Caption.  CP meant Captain

BTW, don't get the sworks version for regular riding, especially if tubeless.  I find the sidewalls become very porous (read like a seive) after only a few months.

I ride an Ardent (2.4) up front and a Captain (2.2) in the back.

No he won't.  I must have like 8 of the 2.0 and 2.2's.  Wink  And they're cheaper than Maxxis and have a better/thicker bead.Smiley

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

John M
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 10/02/14 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
So most go with a larger width tire on the front?

Thanks for all of the guidance, will probably be stopping by the Cycle Path early next week.

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 10/02/14 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Everybody has their own opinions.  Currently I'm rocking a Pannaracer Rampage on the front of 2 of my bikes and a Specialized Caption on the other.  I like both but prefer the rampage.

On the back I like something that rolls pretty fast.  I'm trying Kenda Slant Sixes at the moment.  I'm not too picky on the rear tires though.   

As far as sizes, I like a 2.2 on the fronts.  On the rears I like 2.2 on my hardtails and 2.0 on my full suspension.  With the larger rear tire you can run less air pressure because it has more volume (running tubeless) so it softens up the rear a little on the hardtails.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Arrimapirate

Reply #8 - 10/02/14 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
I ran a Rampage on the front of both my 29ers this year, a crossmark on the back of one, and an Ignitor on the back of the other.  Folding bead, set up tubeless on wider rims - Flow / Arch EX size.  Usually ride ~24 psi. Tubeless, low pressure, wide rims has been a total game changer for me for traction.  It's worth the hassle.

I had Ignitors up front before and rode them until I wore them out.  Got a good deal on the rampages as a pair.  I love the traction, but they roll a little slow.  After a year I'm having a hell of a time trying to keep them aired up, they are flat every week and constantly need new sealant.  The same thing happened with every Kenda tire I've ever had - these are like a slightly lighter, better grip Nevegal and they wear a lot better.  Don't even get me started on SB8s.

tl;dr: panaracer rampage = good tire, trades weight for grip, issues keeping it sealed tubeless have me looking elsewhere.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #9 - 10/02/14 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Arrimapirate wrote on 10/02/14 at 3:17pm:
I ran a Rampage on the front of both my 29ers this year, a crossmark on the back of one, and an Ignitor on the back of the other.  Folding bead, set up tubeless on wider rims - Flow / Arch EX size.  Usually ride ~24 psi. Tubeless, low pressure, wide rims has been a total game changer for me for traction.  It's worth the hassle.

I had Ignitors up front before and rode them until I wore them out.  Got a good deal on the rampages as a pair.  I love the traction, but they roll a little slow.  After a year I'm having a hell of a time trying to keep them aired up, they are flat every week and constantly need new sealant.  The same thing happened with every Kenda tire I've ever had - these are like a slightly lighter, better grip Nevegal and they wear a lot better.  Don't even get me started on SB8s.

tl;dr: panaracer rampage = good tire, trades weight for grip, issues keeping it sealed tubeless have me looking elsewhere.

Fill a cooler with water and dip a portion of the wheel in it.  I'm guessing your side walls are like mine were with the sworks Captain I was running.  Basically they get so thin that they are perforated.  Air bubbles out of every inch of sidewall on both sides.  The stans evaporates so quickly when they get like that so it's time for a new tire.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #10 - 10/02/14 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Additional reasons to avoid the S-works version of the Specialized tires are that they are more difficult to mount (flimsy sidewalls to save weight) and that the sidewalls rip a little more easily than the other versions. I've always needed an air compressor and assistance (additional hands to twist the sidewalls against the rim) to mount S-works tires tubeless. 

That said, I may never ride another tire not made by Specialized. They seem to have high air volume, flexible casings, a really good rubber compound, and great balance between grip and rolling resistance IMO. I buy the Control series, which is still very light (though not as light as the S-works) and I've found them to be very durable and VERY easy to mount tubeless. I've never needed more than a floor pump to mount them on a tubeless rim. Great tires. I currently have a Captain on the front and a Ground Control on the back. The Ground Control is mainly for a little more rear traction at RRT. Prior to RRT becoming my go-to trail, I tended to run a Fast Trak on the rear. [Note that I ride a 26"]

One more thing--Spec 2Bliss tires are designed to use sealant though you can run them with a tube if you want. Sealant will void the warranty of some other tires. I've had 2 Maxxis Crossmark tires get a sidewall separation, which I attributed to sealant use.
« Last Edit: 10/02/14 at 3:48pm by Cherokee »  

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

MtnJax
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 10/05/14 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I've really liked the Schwalbe Nobby Nics that came on my bike. been riding at LNSP, N Meck, Signal Hill and Kerr Scott with them and they've worked great for me

2014 Transition TransAm 27.5
2018 Santa Cruz 5010

IP Logged

cowboy
Coaster Bike

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #12 - 10/12/14 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I'm currently running the Bontrager XR1 Team Issues in 2.2 on the front & rear.  They came stock on my Trek Superfly FS9.  They've been great so far.  I'm planning on running the Specialized setup once I need to replace these.  Going with a 2.0 in the rear.

IP Logged

Arrimapirate

Reply #13 - 10/17/14 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 10/02/14 at 3:22pm:

Fill a cooler with water and dip a portion of the wheel in it.  I'm guessing your side walls are like mine were with the sworks Captain I was running.  Basically they get so thin that they are perforated.  Air bubbles out of every inch of sidewall on both sides.  The stans evaporates so quickly when they get like that so it's time for a new tire.

I think I figured it out.  One wheel had a leak in the tape and replacing the tape fixed it.  The other one just needed new sealant.  It's the first season I've had two bikes set up tubeless and so I probably went longer in between checkups on each.

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #14 - 10/17/14 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 10/01/14 at 5:04pm:

This...or purg/purg or purg rear / butcher front. Control casing only.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

James Banta
Small Cog

Reply #15 - 10/24/14 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I've been happy with Maxxis Ardents - 2.4 up front and 2.25 out back.  I keep thinking I should try the specialized tires though.  Purgatory looks like a good tire.

IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #16 - 10/24/14 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
James Banta wrote on 10/24/14 at 2:23pm:
I've been happy with Maxxis Ardents - 2.4 up front and 2.25 out back.  I keep thinking I should try the specialized tires though.  Purgatory looks like a good tire.

I'll have a Purgatory Control 29x2.4 at the Cycle Path swap meet tomorrow, if you're interested.

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #17 - 11/03/14 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Specialized Ground Control 2.3 is my fave, not too bad rolling resistance and a lot of grip.  I ride a Fast Trak 2.2 in the back and it is crazy light and rolls really fast.   

I'm not sure what all the fuss I about on the S-Works (I ride SWorks Ground Control front Sworks Fast trak in back) and have never lost a side wall, they were really easy to set up tubeless and I have never had issues with air loss.  I am using stans wheels though which set up pretty darn easy.  It sounds like there have been other experiences but I highly recommend sworks tires!

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print