Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Chain - issues with coming off (Read 491 times)
John M
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Chain - issues with coming off
10/07/14 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Just started MTB, have had during rides where the chain will come off the smallest gear on the pedal side.  Usually if I am going down a hill with bumps, roots.  Can hear the chain slapping against the frame of the bike.  Is there things I can do to stop it from coming off?  Maybe less links on the chain?  Some type of projector on the last gear?  Thanks for any assistance.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Re: Chain - issues with coming off
Reply #1 - 10/07/14 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Do you mean the inside ring at the pedal crank or the small cog at the wheel?  Any shop can adjust you pretty cheap, but if you are a diyer there are high and low limit screws on both the front and rear derailleurs. If it's at the crank, tighten the low limit screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the front derailleyr until it stops falling off. If it's at the rear wheel, do the same for the high limit screw on the rear derailleur.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Dirkdee
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 10/07/14 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
If you have too many links in the chain and/or a worn out derraileur (not holding enough tension) this will contribute also... especially if you are in the small ring. 

If you get serious about riding you should look in to a narrow/wide cog on the front and a type-2 rear derraileur (they hold a lot more tension). Since I switched to this set up I haven't dropped a chain.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #3 - 10/07/14 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Dirkdee wrote on 10/07/14 at 4:24pm:
If you have too many links in the chain and/or a worn out derraileur (not holding enough tension) this will contribute also... especially if you are in the small ring. 

If you get serious about riding you should look in to a narrow/wide cog on the front and a type-2 rear derraileur (they hold a lot more tension). Since I switched to this set up I haven't dropped a chain.

chains slap against frames all the time.  that's why they sell so many chain-stay protectors.  It's not as likely that he has too many links in his chain as it is, his limit screws need some adjustment.  I"m not sure I agree with the worn out derailleur idea nor the narrow wide chain ring idea.  I would assume is running multiple rings up front.  As a beginner rider, that's probably a better choice than a 1x setup until he knows how to ride.
« Last Edit: 10/07/14 at 4:38pm by sager »  

IP Logged

John M
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 10/07/14 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Yes, the chain is falling off the Pedal Crank at the inside ring next to the frame.  I will look for these screws and adjust.  I read also about the chain slapping and probably will put a old tube around the frame as people have done.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #5 - 10/07/14 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Before screwing with the limit screws, try adjusting the cable with the knob on the shifter. You may need to shorten the cable. Go easy 1/2 turn at a time.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Dirkdee
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 10/07/14 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 10/07/14 at 4:38pm:

chains slap against frames all the time.  that's why they sell so many chain-stay protectors.  It's not as likely that he has too many links in his chain as it is, his limit screws need some adjustment.  I"m not sure I agree with the worn out derailleur idea nor the narrow wide chain ring idea.  I would assume is running multiple rings up front.  As a beginner rider, that's probably a better choice than a 1x setup until he knows how to ride.

I agree that it could be that the limit screws need adjusting, I was adding these items as additional items to think about...  and I assure you both of these things can contribute especially if the bike has some miles on it. If it's a new bike then I agree that these things are unlikely.

Chain slap is a part of the deal unfortunately but there are things that can be done to minimize it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print