Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Wood Run Rd @ Uwharrie (Read 441 times)
FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Wood Run Rd @ Uwharrie
10/13/14 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Hey Folks,  I had heard that the gravel Wood Run Road at Uwharrie can extend all the way up to Dusty Level road in some way (might be unimproved fire rd, but there is a way through regardless).  I've been able to make out the path on Google and Yahoo Maps satellite view, but I lose the trail about 2 miles from Dusty.  Was looking for a way to get from Yates Place camp down to the Supertree/Keuawee trails via bike without having to hit River Rd or 24/27.  

Anyone have any insight there?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Re: Wood Run Rd @ Uwharrie
Reply #1 - 10/14/14 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Interesting.  I camp nearby and ride Uwharrie 2-3 times a year.  I do not have an answer for your post but it would nice to add something to the ride new and different for a change....even if it was not a cleaned up trail. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

GeneD

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 10/14/14 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
FourMat wrote on 10/13/14 at 9:37pm:
Hey Folks,  I had heard that the gravel Wood Run Road at Uwharrie can extend all the way up to Dusty Level road in some way (might be unimproved fire rd, but there is a way through regardless).  I've been able to make out the path on Google and Yahoo Maps satellite view, but I lose the trail about 2 miles from Dusty.  Was looking for a way to get from Yates Place camp down to the Supertree/Keuawee trails via bike without having to hit River Rd or 24/27.  

Anyone have any insight there?

You'd have to ride part of the Uwharrie trail onto Woodrun road which would run into where Keyauwee and Supertree intersect..  I believe that section of the Uwharrie trail is hiking only.

On a some what off topic...  During the most recent Forest Service meeting the Ranger(s) and the Forest Service seemed open to discussing opening up some of those trails that are further from the main trailheads to multi-use

IP Logged

FourMat
Coaster Bike

No, Really, I Meant To
Do That

Reply #3 - 10/14/14 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
I was up there with a scout troop this weekend and we stayed at Yates Place, then hiked the Uwharrie trail from there, south for a couple of miles and camped on Dutchman's creek.  We saw horse evidence on the trail.  I also thought that the Uwharrie trail was officially only hiking.   

I can map the Wood Run Rd all the way up to where the Uwharrie and Dutchman's Creek trails intersect.  Driving on Dusty Level Rd towards River Rd, I did see quite a few fire and gravel roads going south into the woods, there might be an unofficial path.  Would be worth exploring sometime.  Just don't want to inadvertently tread somewhere that's explicitly forbidden.

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 10/14/14 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
FourMat wrote on 10/14/14 at 1:23pm:
I was up there with a scout troop this weekend and we stayed at Yates Place, then hiked the Uwharrie trail from there, south for a couple of miles and camped on Dutchman's creek.  We saw horse evidence on the trail.  I also thought that the Uwharrie trail was officially only hiking.  

I can map the Wood Run Rd all the way up to where the Uwharrie and Dutchman's Creek trails intersect.  Driving on Dusty Level Rd towards River Rd, I did see quite a few fire and gravel roads going south into the woods, there might be an unofficial path.  Would be worth exploring sometime.  Just don't want to inadvertently tread somewhere that's explicitly forbidden.

What is the worst thing that can happen?  I think the Army is out there practicing  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #5 - 10/14/14 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
From what I understand, If it is a Forest Service Rd/ Fire Rd. It is open to both bikes and Hiking. THat is how the White Tail Trail came about. It is actualy a old Rd that someone found on a map.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print