Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rx sunglasses (Read 1146 times)
SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Rx sunglasses
11/25/14 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Got some flex dollars to spend, and wanted to get input from anybody that rides with prescription eyewear.  There are way too many choices.  From what I've read, it sounds like I don't want polarization.  But there are so many other options: inserts, interchangeable lenses, transitions, red/orange vs brown/black. What works best for riding around here?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Re: Rx sunglasses
Reply #1 - 11/25/14 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
I have yet to find a pair of glasses that don't fog up so easily, especially during the humid days of summer.  I always end up stashin' 'em in my jersey pocket 1/2 way thru the ride.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Ephesians 5:11 Have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

IP Logged

AgentRuss
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 11/25/14 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
My first suggestion is DON'T get transitions... the longer you have them the less dark they get! 

I would definitely recommend interchangeable lenses if you find a good pair - something you can swap out the sunglass lenses with clear lenses. 

I ride with a pair of prescription Ray Bans that I like just fine - good wind and debris protection, comfortable and light... but on those evening rides I wish I was able to swap out the lenses. 

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #3 - 11/25/14 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
My non-rx sunglasses fog up, but only when I stop.  Good incentive to keep going.

Smiley

Good to know about transitions. My wife is anti-transition anyways.  Nerdy, she says.

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 11/25/14 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I got a pair of these with clear lenses, which is all I use in the woods regardless of the time of day. I went to MyEyeDr up here in Concord, and they had the lenses made. Zero fogging and heavy duty.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Racnfirecapn
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 11/25/14 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Oakley has several models that you can put prescription lenses in, but they ain't cheap.  I almost always wear clear lenses in my oakleys when riding. Just use for eye protection. I have found that when I'm in the woods clear gives me the best clarity. If I were riding the roads I may get tinted lens for that.  Most of their models have interchangeable lenses, so if you get one of the prescription models you can get an extra set of tinted lenses.

"The older I get the faster I WAS"

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #6 - 11/25/14 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
only clear lenses in the woods.  any tint in the woods seems to dark for me.  unless you are riding on the road, interchangeable  shouldn't be necessary.  I have interchangeable lens but actually use separate pairs instead because of convenience.
« Last Edit: 11/25/14 at 9:46pm by sager »  

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #7 - 11/25/14 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
I have had the Bolle' with the lens insert. It worked OK but seemed to fog easily. Had the gamut of lenses. Non progressive. The lens insert can be had for $20 on Amazon and you have it ground to your RX. I am in bifocals so needed a small bifocal ground on the inserts.

I now have a Rudy Project and really like them. They don't seem to fog as much but anything fogs some in this humidity and heat.. The prescription is ground into both the clear and the dark lenses. The dark ones are polarized for when I go fly fishing. As for the bifocal there is a soft polymer stick on that I have cut to fit the lower part of the lens. It works well enough. I prefer the Rudys. The lenses are sharper image and the peripheral is better plus they don't fog as much.

Hope this helps

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #8 - 11/26/14 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Do people's lenses fog while they are moving? Mine fog when it's humid or cold when I stop, but not when moving. I've used a few types of tifosi  glasses but assumed things stay clear when you are moving.

IP Logged

Racnfirecapn
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 11/26/14 at 2:32am
Print Post  
I wear Oakley M-frames and have never had a problem with fogging unless it was raining.  The only issue I ever have is when sweat drips on my lenses in really hot weather.  On rare occasions I'll put an amber colored lens in if I'm going to be riding somewhere that's more open.

"The older I get the faster I WAS"

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #10 - 11/26/14 at 3:56am
Print Post  
sager wrote on 11/26/14 at 2:05am:
Do people's lenses fog while they are moving? Mine fog when it's humid or cold when I stop, but not when moving. I've used a few types of tifosi  glasses but assumed things stay clear when you are moving.

The Bolle would fog sometines if I was very slow (no comments) and it was terribly humid. The Bolle had the inserts which took a while to get air to them. The Rudy's seem to clear a lot quicker.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

EAutry
Big Ring
In The Loop
Project Board

You know you'll feel better
if you ride today.....

Reply #11 - 11/26/14 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
I've been using something similar to these Rudy Project glasses for the last few years.

Not cheap, but best I've had for anti fog. I have progressive lenses for non riding, but have these non progressive. I have transition lenses and like them a lot in the woods with these glasses, very high quality. I wear them in the woods without the clip on wrap arounds, and use the clip ons for road riding. Best clip on IMHO is the yellowish/orange for both bright sunlight and cloudy days.

Very expensive up front, but very durable so far the last few years, and when your prescription changes not crazy expensive to order new lenses. Good replacement parts on other parts of the glasses also.
« Last Edit: 11/26/14 at 3:19pm by EAutry »  

One gear really is enough..but my knees have forced me to go 1x10.

IP Logged

oldroadie-nc

Reply #12 - 11/26/14 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
In my opinion, Rudy Project has the most options for Rx cycling sunglasses.  I have the Keja (discontinued) with dark grey polarized progressives for the road and they're great!  I sometimes wear them for MTB if it is very sunny, but they are usually too dark for the woods.  After the first of the year (so I can get partial reimbursement from my vision plan) I plan to get some Rudys with the Rx insert (probably the Exception or Noyz) and interchangeable lenses (laser black for the road and racing red photochromic and clear for MTB).  Rudy has a lot of their eyewear on sale and often has promotions that reduce the cost.  Still expensive but worth it.

IP Logged

collin_i
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 12/03/14 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I've got a pair of Scott PivLock V90's with the prescription insert. Both cost me $100, from a LBS closing out some stuff on eBay. Filling the lenses was almost $200, which seemed like a lot (used HSA funds as well). All told, I was in for $300. It was worth it since I haven't managed to lose them (yet, some CLOSE calls).

Application wise - they're not perfect. The nose piece is bulky, and they fog up pretty quickly when not moving. The clear up it a couple seconds once I start moving again. What matters is - I can ride without realizing they're on. 

Also, changing lenses is a breeze. I find that I do swap them out from smoke to clear depending on the use. I've used the rose lens a couple of times as well.

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #14 - 12/03/14 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I go through about pair a year....Most recent pair was $28 with shipping (and without insurance)....I did buy some prescription Oakley's a couple yrs back that were $250 even after insurance.....They broke I threw them away and went back to the cheepsters....To me it's all about thrift....Glasses are glasses.....They all fog up (I just take mine off when I stop) and get lost or broken....$28 got me photochromatic lenses and I don't really care if they get lost or broken....I've had my current pair for about a year and they work fine....I can't tell the difference between these and the Oakleys honestly.....Sometimes I think we trick ourselves into thinking a logo makes something perform better....

I use this website and feed in my script from my annual eye visit:

« Last Edit: 12/03/14 at 9:02pm by FredRubble »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print