Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic December 11, Uwharrie Trail Strategy meeting (Read 631 times)
Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

December 11, Uwharrie Trail Strategy meeting
12/09/14 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Thursday, Dec. 11 from 6-8pm at the Garner Center at 210 Burnette St., Troy,NC, 27371

There will be a short overview to recap Sept 18th meeting and discuss the goals and objectives of the trail strategy and the direction of the work groups that will begin at this meeting.  The work-groups will focus on the nuts and bolts of the trail system and facilities for the different user groups.  Discussions about what the Uwharrie National Forest can realistically provide and sustain for the long-term use of the public will be at the heart of these working groups.  The ultimate result will be realistic recommendations for a comprehensive trail management plan for Uwharrie National Forest along with a stronger community of volunteers to assist with these efforts.   

If you are interested in participating in this process then come on out and show your support!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Re: December 11, Uwharrie Trail Strategy meeting
Reply #1 - 12/12/14 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Great meeting last night. If you are interested in the Uwharrie trail system at all, please try to come out to some of these meetings if possible. I know it's a long way out there for most people in Charlotte and it's on a work night but it's really important that we show up and make our presence known. Other user groups are showing up too, like hikers, ATV people, equestrians etc so we need to show that we are a strong user group also. The Forest service seems very interested and excited about working with us as a user group and as a club so all we really need to do is show up and give them ideas and direction. They are very pleased so far with all the work that the Trailblazers have put in so far over the years so we already have a very good working relationship with the rangers. 

The main purpose of last nights meeting was to identify some specific things we want to focus on going forward. Funds are limited and of course time is always limited so they wanted to know where to try to focus spending and efforts. They wanted to know of any problem areas we knew of, any safety concerns, any conflicts with other user groups and any areas that we wanted to focus on for possible new trail in the future. So we broke into all the different user groups and each user group was assigned a different leader who listened to our ideas and input and then a list was created with all the stuff we talked about. That list will now be taken back to the higher ups who will ultimately decide whether our ideas are feasible.

After the meeting was over I overheard our group leader reporting his impressions back to the supervisor and he had lots of positive things to say about us. He was mostly impressed with the fact that we were not solely focused on "new, new, new trail" and "what can you do for us" kind of stuff. He loved the fact that we were willing and able (and indeed enthusiastic even) about maintaining the existing trail and he also loved the fact that we were able to tell them about problem areas that need to be addressed. That saves time for him because then he doesn't have to go walking the entire trail system all the time figuring all that out for himself. And he also liked that we did want to look at new areas for new trail and that we were understanding about having to work within the areas that are feasible and within their parameters for new trail. So all in all I left feeling like we made a good impression and with each meeting are building more and more of a rapport with them, which in turn should enable us to work towards getting new stuff out there which in the end is pretty much what we all want.
« Last Edit: 12/12/14 at 1:05pm by catsruletn »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #2 - 12/12/14 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Nice work!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #3 - 12/12/14 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Great job guys!  As soon as I don't have a post work conflict with a meeting date I will certainly be there.  Is there a way or a place to go to find out when the next meeting is?

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 12/12/14 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Sorry I missed this one, but I wasnt notified by Uhwarrie and it ended up being scheduled after I booked a business trip.

Since the last meeting I have had one conversation with Deborah Walker.  Was there any follow up to our conversation from last time, giving MTBers access to some of the hiking only trails that are pretty far north from the 24/27 trailhead?

Additionally she emailed me all those maps they had on the walls.  They are pretty big files, but I am happy to send them along if someone can convert them to something more useful.

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #5 - 12/12/14 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
TrillWill wrote on 12/12/14 at 6:02pm:
Great job guys!  As soon as I don't have a post work conflict with a meeting date I will certainly be there.  Is there a way or a place to go to find out when the next meeting is?

There is an email that gets sent out about the meetings. If you will PM me your email address I will forward the last email to you and then you can use that to get your email added to the list. You should then start receiving emails about the meetings. We will also try to always post about upcoming meetings here. Anyone else that wants to be added to the list can send their email addresses to me also.

Quote:
Since the last meeting I have had one conversation with Deborah Walker.  Was there any follow up to our conversation from last time, giving MTBers access to some of the hiking only trails that are pretty far north from the 24/27 trailhead?

No not really. Anytime we mentioned trying to get access to hiking only trails it was met with hesitation. Not an outright no but just the general feeling that it would be an uphill battle. Best to just maybe cross the hiking trails at certain points and then onto a dedicated MTB trail.
« Last Edit: 12/12/14 at 8:42pm by catsruletn »  

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #6 - 12/12/14 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Yea, it did seem at the first meeting that deborah/ the Forest Service might be amenible to allowing bikes of the "far out" hiking trails. We should continue to explore the possibility, being very PC of course. We might could talk to the hiking group on the side to see how they feel.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 12/13/14 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Advocat wrote on 12/12/14 at 10:57pm:
Yea, it did seem at the first meeting that deborah/ the Forest Service might be amenible to allowing bikes of the "far out" hiking trails. We should continue to explore the possibility, being very PC of course. We might could talk to the hiking group on the side to see how they feel.

That is what I was thinking, its probably best for everyone anyway.  Besides the trails near the trailhead are already fun and pretty much single use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print