Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The ? If you were... would you... (Read 1552 times)
Coaster Bike

The ? If you were... would you...
12/10/14 at 1:12am
Print Post  
If your primary non-family enjoyment was mtn biking and you had a mountain biking accident that put you out of commission (surgery, recovery and rehabbing) for up to 6+ months, would you?

Yes = not live vicariously through this and other mtn bike forums/websites, etc. reading about things you can't currently do, or 

No = possibly be pissed off and/or divert/focus your energies elsewhere, to things possibly more "currently" productive?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Have a GREAT day!!!

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: The ? If you were... would you...
Reply #1 - 12/10/14 at 1:20am
Print Post  
I would learn to build wheels.

and drink heavily.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 12/10/14 at 1:53am
Print Post  
haven't considered building wheels; however, i did consider upping my diversity and intake of many wonderful beers, but, then I remembered that I'd be getting less exercise to burn the calories.  I guess I could eat less to be able to drink more...

Have a GREAT day!!!

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #3 - 12/10/14 at 1:53am
Print Post  
And heckle people with chickens as their avatar on forums!

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #4 - 12/10/14 at 3:32am
Print Post  
I've had 2 seperate accidents that ended up with ACL replacements, Kinda got hit by a car and broke a Tibia, laid in a cast for 4 weeks eating oxy and listened to my bones rubbbing together. They never mended, so I needed surgery to repair broken tibia which put me out 2 more months. Seprated shoulder, and numerous other small injuries and never once thought about not MTB riding again.  I guess it kinda give me a goal/focus to get better so I could ride again. THe worst part is the initial injury, it only gets better from there.

I never focus on the long term distance, just focused on making daily improvements. Once physical therapy got me going in the right direction, I headed to the gym and did a lot of upper body stuff while rehabing each of my knees and leg. I also passed the time by doing some trail work.

Hope you get better soon.
« Last Edit: 12/10/14 at 3:35am by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #5 - 12/10/14 at 3:45am
Print Post  
I am currently sitting here 1 day out of wrist surgery. Generally I just keep on keeping on and read online and plan out the next build. Once the cast comes off i will start to exercise by running or hitting the gym to keep me going till i can ride again. 

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #6 - 12/10/14 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Currently finishing up 2 months off the bike due to re-aggravating a spinal injury (hitting a tree that refused to move). Being off the bike gave me the time and courage to sell my long-time love (blur lt) and make the move to my next big thing...tallboy long travel carbon.

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

Racnfirecapn
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #7 - 12/10/14 at 4:06am
Print Post  
I've had my share of injuries over the years. A lot of years!  Most of the injuries came from another type of 2 wheel fun.  The hardest part for me has always been being patient enough to get completely healed after an injury.  Once you get to feeling better you just automatically want to go ride. My last injury/surgery was the most significant in my life but the corrective surgery made me feel so much better almost immediately that my wife had to really keep her hands on the reigns to allow everything to heal up like it's supposed to. Had it not been for her I'd probably be in a wheelchair right now. If I can figure out how to post a picture I'll post one up.  I've had lots of those really expensive pictures they take in those hospital thingys overy the years.

"The older I get the faster I WAS"

IP Logged

fat-ass
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 12/10/14 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Broke both my right tibia, fibia and ankle at Sherman 2 or more years ago. Totally shattered. steel plate, 14 screws and a rod from my knee to my ankle. 2.5 hr surgery. 3 months no driving 4-5 months no biking. the focus on getting back on the bike was one of the few things that helped me stay positive during the hiatus. 

if you love it, don't turn your back on it as I think it can aid in your overall recovery.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #9 - 12/10/14 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
You mean like this?

November 14, 2009:  Jump out of truck and tear ACL, MCL and both meniscus. 2 months PT then surgery in early January, 2010 to fix.  Back on bike lightly by middle of April.  Longest time off bike that was not intentional.

Physical therapy is your friend whenever and where ever you can do it.  The 2 months of PT before surgery really helped strengthen my whole leg and lower body.  Was lucky to not gain 1 pound in that time frame either. (Not from lack of trying!  Smiley  )

It did help doing trail work wearing a brace and downing Advil. Plus owning a bike shop was an additional bonus. Wink

Don't fret, slow but steady and you'll be back on the bike in no time. Smiley
« Last Edit: 12/10/14 at 3:15pm by The Cycle Path »  

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

fat-ass
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 12/10/14 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 12/10/14 at 3:14pm:
You mean like this?

No, more like this:

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #11 - 12/10/14 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Yup. That pretty much sux.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #12 - 12/10/14 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Wow! That's a lot 'o hardware.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

Racnfirecapn
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 12/10/14 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
And something like this. 

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #14 - 12/10/14 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Are those motorcycle chain plates?

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

MarcusB
Forum Administrator
marcustest
In The Loop
IB Room
Project Board

www.SpeedyLizard.com

Reply #15 - 12/10/14 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Mr.B wrote on 12/10/14 at 1:53am:

Smiley

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #16 - 12/10/14 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Mr.B wrote on 12/10/14 at 1:53am:

Rooster... 

Specifically Gamecock...

Spurrier4Prez2016

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

Mike 5
Small Cog

Reply #17 - 12/10/14 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Hey, I've got one of those ankles re-builds, but the neck plate wins.

"Bad decisions make for great stories."

IP Logged

Racnfirecapn
Coaster Bike

Reply #18 - 12/11/14 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Jerry you might call it that. Combination of injuries that I fought with until I got the surgery.  Post surgery I never even took an aspirin.  Doc questioned me about it and I told him the pain post surgery was like a stumped toe compared to the pain pre-surgery.

I've had a few others too.  Suffered a compound fracture on the other side of the road of what we refer to as poplar tent.  That one took 5 surgeries to get it right. If you call 30% motion getting it right. 

182 you'll be healed up and back on the bike before you know it.  It looks like you're right between me and Jerry in age so you're still young yet....  Not sure about your injury but think about alternative exercises that allows you to stay active in other ways. 

Hope you get better soon!

Merry Christmas to all!
« Last Edit: 12/11/14 at 3:53am by Racnfirecapn »  

IP Logged

pughjetsound
Coaster Bike

motorbicycling

Reply #19 - 12/11/14 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Double hernia surgery this past Monday for me.  Told not to even think about getting on a bike for six weeks and then only flat road riding for another month.  Already feel healthy enough to venture out but going to have to listen to the doctor on this one.  I would rather not have my guts spilling out onto the trail.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print