Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Essential Tools? (Read 1160 times)
AgentRuss
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Essential Tools?
12/12/14 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Hi all,

My Christmas present to myself is going to be some new tools so I can do SOME of the maintenance and repairs myself. So I'm looking for some assistance - 

Is there a reasonably priced kit that includes all the essential tools that anyone would recommend? (I've not heard great reviews of the basic ParkTool kit, for example.)

Otherwise, what tools would you recommend to on hand for regular maintenance? And then I'll buy them individually.

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: 12/12/14 at 5:13pm by AgentRuss »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Essential Tools?
Reply #1 - 12/12/14 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Some of the kits are cool, but thier are always some non essential/out of date  stuff they put in them. Here is what I recommend. 

One Park 3 way wrench 4/5/6
Full set of Park Cone Wrenchs
Full set of L shaped Allen Wrenchs ( I also have a full set of Bondhus Ball End ones)
1 Park Large Pedal Wrench tool
1 Park Cassette removal Tool
1 Park Chain Whip
Full set of Allen Sockets
Set of Torx sockets or wrenchs
Set of Metric Sockets (optional) I only use the 8 & 10 for the most part
1 Chain break Tool
Cable Cutters
Pick Tools
Spoke wrenches.

Stuff like screwdrivers and soft hammers and even a Torque wrench is also recommended. THese are just some of my can't live without things that I use a lot. I'm 100% sure I omited some stuff. I'm sure otheres might add a few items.
« Last Edit: 12/12/14 at 8:53pm by Enoch »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

forkit
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 12/12/14 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Buy a torque wrench.  Trust me, it will pay for itself.  Especially if most of your wrenching experience came from cars.

IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/12/14 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Make sure to add a bottom bracket wrench to Enochs list.

IP Logged

AgentRuss
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 12/12/14 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Excellent! Thanks guys... this will definitely get me started.

Appreciate the help!

IP Logged

JEDDUH01
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 12/12/14 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Clamping work stand . 

Personally i went YEARS with an olde rope from a rafter or such - but as soon as the bike is clamp locked in a reputable stand - Repairs are SOO MUCH easier. Tuning- tweaking - front end- rear end- all at standing height.

Worth every penny.

Totally agree with the other list too!

IP Logged

Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 12/13/14 at 2:49am
Print Post  
recommend you take a look at these options and reviews of the products.  nice option to add sockets, different size bits that you can customize by buying at most hardware stores.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Have a GREAT day!!!

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #7 - 12/13/14 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Repair stand is one of the most beneficial as it will help with probably 98% of the things you will need to do.

I've been buying tools as I need them over the years (I started wrenching on my BMX bikes in high school 12 or 13 years ago and I still buy tools here and there as technology changes or new parts require them).

Nashbar and Performance Bike have some nice hand tools much cheaper than Park if you're just doing the occasional maintenance, and the Spin Doctor stuff from Performance is all stocked at their South Blvd location.  The only Spin Doctor tool I regret buying instead of a Park one is my truing stand, but all my hand tools are great. Those who work on bikes a LOT will probably disagree with me, though.  Just stay away from Harbor Freight garbage tools (Pittsburgh, etc.) at all cost.

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #8 - 12/16/14 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Depending on your bike/hubs cone wrenches aren't necessary anymore as sad as that is.

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 12/16/14 at 11:59am
Print Post  
I would add a bike stand as well.  You can get a good one under $100.  Chain whip, cassette lockring tool, and chainring nut wrench are also all tools that you have to have and there really isn't a way around those.  Good thing is each one of those can be had for under $10 if you look hard enough.

edit: if you can bite off about $400, I'd recommend these: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Any decent shop should be able to get those.  And if you buy the tools (and parts you need) from a shop with a good wrench, they should be willing to help out with advice when you need it, which will be worth wayyyyyy more than any amount you'd save buying those things online.
« Last Edit: 12/16/14 at 12:10pm by DrewK »  

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #10 - 12/16/14 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Get this book too....It's nice to have some step by step instructions the first couple times doing a build or repair....And a great for troubleshooting as well.....

« Last Edit: 12/16/14 at 2:10pm by FredRubble »  

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #11 - 12/22/14 at 1:38am
Print Post  
A set of T-Handle Hex Wrenches is key! You can get a set for like $10 at Home Depot. The speed at which you can do repairs with these is so much faster than using the little sets of the L shaped ones.  The T-Handles allow you to get more torque, have much longer reach and aren't as easy to lose.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

benwe
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 12/25/14 at 6:40am
Print Post  
If you have regular internet access, there is no need to buy the park tool book. All the repair info is on their site. Unless, of course, you are a book person. I still like to do the newspaper crosswords so who am I to judge?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print