Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Greenway/Beginner rides in Union County (Read 1632 times)
WyoRed

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Greenway/Beginner rides in Union County
12/29/14 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I'm looking for suggestions for easy greenway type rides in the Wesley Chapel area of Union County.  I've mostly ridden Beatty, but I'm trying to get my wife into riding some, she's pretty much a newbie, just learning to ride a real bike with gears and what not, so wanted to take her on some nice easy rides first.  Obviously up in Meck we have lots of choices for that kind of greenway with McAlpine and Sugar Creek and such.   Thought I'd found a greenway close to home yesterday down in Mineral Springs, but when we got there and gave it a shot it was definately not a "greenway" as I think of them.  Was hoping some of the local riders would have some suggestions besides Cane Creek.  Pretty much anywhere in Union County is fair game.   
Thanks in Advance

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: Greenway/Beginner rides in Union County
Reply #1 - 12/29/14 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
As far as i know there aren't any greenways that are paved in the UC. There is a new park in Weddington (Dogwood Park? maybe?) but i dont know the bike situation there. Cane Creek Park's red loop in the Day Use Area is probably the easiest ride in UC. Not paved greenway but not technical singletrack either.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #2 - 12/29/14 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Check out Four Mile Creek Greenway in the heart of Matthews. Can access easily from Squirrel Park. It's only 3 miles or so, but an easy introduction for the wifey.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

When she's comfortable on the bike - do the beginner route at Sherman. Start down the center double track until the single track crosses from left to right. Take that right on the singletrack and then every time the trail crosses the doubletrack, go right again on the double track until your next right on the singletrack. This keeps you on the right side of the main loop all the way to the lakes. Show her the Small Lake and the Big Lake. Then come back out the regular way from the bottom of the main loop. She can walk a couple of the small inclines and the ladder bridge on the way out if she's not ready for them yet.)

You probably know this, but don't push her! Better yet, have her go on a Dirt Divas ride. They'll show her stuff you forgot about already.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #3 - 12/29/14 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Advocat wrote on 12/29/14 at 10:13pm:

When she's comfortable on the bike - do the beginner route at Sherman. Start down the center double track until the single track crosses from left to right...etc....

I've ridden Sherman a bunch of times and never realized this... seems obvious now. Thanks for posting. I have a beginner or two who would like this route.

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #4 - 12/30/14 at 12:07am
Print Post  
There is also the greenway near Trader Joe's at Rea Road. Not union county but not too terribly far either. I can never remember the name of it.

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #5 - 12/30/14 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 12/29/14 at 8:41pm:
As far as i know there aren't any greenways that are paved in the UC. There is a new park in Weddington (Dogwood Park? maybe?) but i dont know the bike situation there. Cane Creek Park's red loop in the Day Use Area is probably the easiest ride in UC. Not paved greenway but not technical singletrack either.

No greenway at the new park as far as I can tell.  There are a few paved paths but it does not look like much mileage.  Still, it's a nice addition to the area.   

I agree with Banjo, no green ways in UC I can think of.

SCOTT T - Any suggestions?

IP Logged

WyoRed

Reply #6 - 12/30/14 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys, This is kind of what I was finding.  Do you think Southwest District Park would be a good beginner ride?  I'm nervous to take her to Beatty.  She literally is still trying to figure out shifting, So I was thinking of maybe doing a few road rides out in the boonies to just get her time in the saddle and some up and down hills.

IP Logged

Racnfirecapn
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 12/30/14 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Advocat wrote on 12/29/14 at 10:13pm:

When she's comfortable on the bike - do the beginner route at Sherman. Start down the center double track until the single track crosses from left to right. Take that right on the singletrack and then every time the trail crosses the doubletrack, go right again on the double track until your next right on the singletrack. This keeps you on the right side of the main loop all the way to the lakes. Show her the Small Lake and the Big Lake. Then come back out the regular way from the bottom of the main loop. She can walk a couple of the small inclines and the ladder bridge on the way out if she's not ready for them yet.)

You probably know this, but don't push her! Better yet, have her go on a Dirt Divas ride. They'll show her stuff you forgot about already.

My wife is very green to mountain biking and I've been taking her to Sherman also. But when you get to the area with the small ponds before the lake loop take the path labeled as the "short cut".  It cuts out the small softball size rocks after the lake loop intersection, the curvy land bridge, and the big bridge over the creek after the land bridge.  I did the same thing with my daughter last year when she started riding and she has progressed now to the entire main loop except for the two rock gardens.

And as was said earlier provide lots of positive encouragement and reinforcement. Some of the smallest obstacles will look like mountains to her.  As she gets more confident you can add portions of the trail on the left side of the double track.

"The older I get the faster I WAS"

IP Logged

WyoRed

Reply #8 - 12/30/14 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Have any of you ridden the Twelve Mile Creek Trail (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). Was curious how it compared..

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #9 - 12/30/14 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I would echo 4-Mile Creek at Squirrel Lake Park in Matthews.  Very close to Union County, and a nice easy ride to get back in the swing of things.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #10 - 12/30/14 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
WyoRed wrote on 12/30/14 at 2:45pm:
Thanks guys, This is kind of what I was finding.  Do you think Southwest District Park would be a good beginner ride?  I'm nervous to take her to Beatty.  She literally is still trying to figure out shifting, So I was thinking of maybe doing a few road rides out in the boonies to just get her time in the saddle and some up and down hills. 

Yes, SWDP is very beginner friendly. You may want to have her walk the initial short entry down the hill from the parking lot. I'ts not hard, but coud be a bit intimidating to a newbie. 

I agree getting her out on the greenways and get her shifting is a best first step. Then SWDP might be good for small inclines, up and down, to start getting he used to positioning over the bike. I also agree to avoid Beatty until she's done one or more of these first steps.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - 12/30/14 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Take her to the City Golf Course in Monroe off 601 South, it's called a nature Trail but it's just a gravel service road for the back 9 holes, Lots of people run and walk there.................including myself.

IP Logged

WyoRed

Reply #12 - 12/30/14 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks Scott_t, I'll check that out.

IP Logged

Vasco
Global Moderator
In The Loop
Project Board

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - 12/30/14 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
WyoRed wrote on 12/30/14 at 3:08pm:
Have any of you ridden the Twelve Mile Creek Trail (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). Was curious how it compared..

I have not been on this greenway but I think it would be a great place to start. Just keep in mind you can break bone on a greenway just as easy as a trail, I've known more than one really good rider who have done this.
Doug S.

Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control it's the way I wired.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #14 - 12/31/14 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
SCOTT_T wrote on 12/30/14 at 4:55pm:
Take her to the City Golf Course in Monroe off 601 South, it's called a nature Trail but it's just a gravel service road for the back 9 holes, Lots of people run and walk there.................including myself.

Tyson, does the place have a driving range?  My kid got a set of clubs and needs a place to hit

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - 12/31/14 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Sure does.........

IP Logged

WyoRed

Reply #16 - 01/01/15 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up taking my wife and 4 of my kids to SWDP this afternoon.  She struggled a little just due to needing seat time and conditioning, but did really well.  Kids ride quite a bit and they just blasted through it.

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #17 - 01/06/15 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I saw a "mom" and and 2 kids at SWDP on the 31st, mid-afternoon - but couldn't tell if they were with anyone else. Was my last lap. There were 2 or 3 "biker cars" in the lot when I finished. Could tell a few others had ridden earlier. I also say a MBiker cruise through the lot when I arrived, but he didn't stay to ride  ....? (Too bad, I thought I'd havesome company.) 

It was great to have this option when most all other trails were closed.

SWDP was in great shape Pat! I got in a good 6 laps. Still lots of potential out there.
« Last Edit: 01/06/15 at 3:27pm by Advocat »  

IP Logged

WyoRed

Reply #18 - 01/06/15 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
We went on Jan 1st mid-late afternoon.  Big 15 passenger van with full hitch rack plus a couple inside the back end of the van, you really can't miss us.   
There were 2 or 3 vehicles when we got there and a mt biker doing some warmup/cooldown spinning in the lot.  I personally didn't see anybody else on the trail, but when we were leaving there was a man and woman in a small pickup loading up and then 2 guys in an SUV (with 2 REALLY nice bikes) also loading up.   

I thought the trail was in great condition, couple muddy spots due to previous weather, but given the amount of rain we'd had the trail drained/dried out really well.   

Wasn't a big  fan of the kicker ramp over the fallen tree as there was no bypass and since the rest of the trail is decidedly non technical it was rather incongruous.  Looked like maybe there was supposed to be a backside ramp to it that had fallen or been removed. Thanks to the anonymous rider who helped my clumsy thirteen year old up when he decided to use it to do an endo.   Not complaining though, it's a great trail and looks like there's more to come with the new cutoff.   

Thanks much to those who spend their time and energy out there making these trails possible for the rest of us.

IP Logged

waxhaw

Reply #19 - 01/07/15 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
You can ride from Trader Joe's all the way to highway 51 in Pineville on the greenway.  I think it is a combination of 12 mile creek greenway and mcalpine creek greenway but am not certain.

(from there, if you are comfortable crossing 51 to get to the sidewalk, it is only a short distance to Carmel Commons and the yogurt shop)

This is a fun ride for the family.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print