Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Which clutch derailleur? (Read 1268 times)
SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Which clutch derailleur?
12/31/14 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
I've got a Superfly FS set up 1x10 that currently has a long cage x9 derailleur. I'm adding a OneUp 42T cog and want to go ahead and swap in a clutch derailleur. I'm not really familiar with the needs of different cage lengths.   

Can I get away with a medium or even short cage with the 42T? The added clearance would be nice. Do I need to stick with SRAM, or would something like the Zee work just as well? 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: Which clutch derailleur?
Reply #1 - 12/31/14 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
I have 1x10, set up with X9 clutch derailleur, short cage.  Works very well up to 36t cassette.  Probably would be fine with the 42t also.  Rarely visit the 36t on mine with a 33t front ring.  Have not used the Zee.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #2 - 12/31/14 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I think you would need at least a medium.  The chainring differential is obviously 0 since you only have a single, but there are presumably 31-32 teeth differential from the largest cassette cog and the smallest.  I don't think a short cage can handle that amount of chain growth, but I believe a medium can.

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #3 - 12/31/14 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Good to know.

I'm coming off a year of CPA exams/not much biking.  I will live in the 42T for a while, especially at Steve's.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #4 - 12/31/14 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
traildog wrote on 12/31/14 at 3:41pm:
I have 1x10, set up with X9 clutch derailleur, short cage.  Works very well up to 36t cassette.  Probably would be fine with the 42t also.  Rarely visit the 36t on mine with a 33t front ring.  Have not used the Zee.

I think a short cage can handle a 36t.  The differential of 25-26 teeth is within the short cages range, but I think 42t would put it over the edge.

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #5 - 12/31/14 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I'm reading challenged. OneUp says medium or long cage on their site:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

So now I just have to figure out the chain growth from my rear suspension to see if I need to stick with long cage.

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 12/31/14 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
I'd play it safe and go with a medium cage.  On the brand, I prefer Shimano because of the feel of the shifting (smoother vs the kachunk of the sram), but it's a personal preference if you ask my opinion.

IP Logged

TStroupe
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 12/31/14 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
With a 42 tooth, a medium cage derailleur is needed. I would also recommend the rad/radr cage from oneup if you go with a shimano rear derailleur. Its a little extra cost but the shifting is perfect with it.

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Reply #8 - 12/31/14 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
I have an XT mid w/rad cage that I converted over. I'm running 11-42 in the back with the 16 tooth sprocket upgrade. Very smooth shifting.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

Patches
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 12/31/14 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Cycle Path just did the conversion from a 2 x 10 to a 1 x 10 on my Niner full suspension bike using its existig SRAM medium cage XO clutch derailleur and new Wolftooth (WT) components 30 tooth narrow wide front chain ring, 40 tooth giant cog with 16 tooth cog for the rear cassette cluster.  Replaced the existing 15t and 17t cogs with the 16t WT cog.  Review of the internet forum feedback regarding this conversion and subsequent confirmation from Wolftooth indicated that the shifting is slightly improved across the full range of the cassette (11 thru 40, or 42) with the SRAM clutch derailleur over the Shimano derailleur.  The SRAM clutch derailleur requires less B-screw adjustment, which improves the shifting in the smaller cassette cogs.  Forum feedback and WT feedback also indicated improved shift performance with a Shimano cassette over a SRAM cassette, so installed a new 11 x 36 Shimano XT cassette along with a new chain at the time of this conversion.

So far (with approximately 6 rides), the shifting is excellent both up and down across the full range of the cassette. 
« Last Edit: 12/31/14 at 6:59pm by Patches »  

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 12/31/14 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
You need to stick with Sram unless you plan on changing the shifter also.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #11 - 01/01/15 at 1:55am
Print Post  
I think the SRAM clutch works better than the Shimano. The Shimano clutch alwaysnfeels like it over powers the light  Shimano shifter. Plus the SRAM you can lock forward making it easier to remove/install the rear wheel and chain.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #12 - 01/02/15 at 4:17am
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 01/01/15 at 1:55am:
I think the SRAM clutch works better than the Shimano. The Shimano clutch alwaysnfeels like it over powers the light  Shimano shifter. Plus the SRAM you can lock forward making it easier to remove/install the rear wheel and chain.

I second this! And I like the "kachunk" of SRAM just feels a little more solid but of course that's a personal preference.  The lock on the derailleur makes wheel take off much easier.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

Mike 5
Small Cog

Reply #13 - 01/03/15 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Has anyone used a quick link (KMC) with a narrow-wide 1x10 set-up? Just wondering if it would interfere with chain engagement.

"Bad decisions make for great stories."

IP Logged

Patches
Coaster Bike

Reply #14 - 01/03/15 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Mike 5 wrote on 01/03/15 at 5:35pm:
Has anyone used a quick link (KMC) with a narrow-wide 1x10 set-up? Just wondering if it would interfere with chain engagement.

KMC 10 speed chain with KMC supplied quick link is installed on my narrow-wide 1x10 set-up with no issues.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print