Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lake Norman Conditions (Read 7024 times)
Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Lake Norman Conditions
Reply #20 - 01/21/15 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
cycle62 wrote on 01/21/15 at 5:38pm:
Unbelievably it is closed today.  I usually support LNSP Ranger decisions but this one has me stumped.  Only .04 rain in last week and still not open?  Maybe its worse than I think....

I have to agree,

After riding several other trails and seeing the conditions I have to agree there is some disconnect @ LNSP

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #21 - 01/22/15 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Lake James got the honer of getting state park of the year for 2014. Since the mountain bike trails opened there, they have been open more then closed. They have a really nice staff. The swimming area is great. The parking lot was always opened. The trails are opened right now. Just saying

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #22 - 01/22/15 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Stop worrying bout what you don't got and be happy with what you do got.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #23 - 01/22/15 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Yep. Only trail closed is LNSP. I hope they open up today because you know with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that they are going to close after WHATEVER precipitation comes in on Friday. I just don't get it. Do the rangers use any type of scientific or regulated method to approve the trails, or just a crystal ball?  I appreciate everything about the park but they need a better system.

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #24 - 01/22/15 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Yes, they are notoriously conservative. On the other hand, I rode some open trails earlier this week that should probably have been closed.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #25 - 01/22/15 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Don't let it bring you down
It's only castles burning,
Find someone who's turning
And you will come around. Cool

GTalk  
IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #26 - 01/22/15 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
I wish I had some good thrash/punk lyrics I could put out there. Feeling way more Black Flag than Neil Young!

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #27 - 01/22/15 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Almost 1 PM and the state park is still not open. For the record whoever makes the call on opening the trails is a DB. Not to be confused with a defensive back or a Dingell Barry. Although I'm sure an excellent and competent park ranger in every other aspect.

IP Logged

MTBOJ

Reply #28 - 01/22/15 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Must be a sasquatch sighting recently.  Safety first. Huh

IP Logged

cycle62

Reply #29 - 01/22/15 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Pretty well must be asleep at the wheel at the Ranger office.  My guess is it will not open until after February 1.  Rain tomorrow and Saturday and we will need at least 3 weeks of dry conditions.  I am kidding here somewhat but I really do not understand this at all/   Angry

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #30 - 01/22/15 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
As far as LKN opening, we go through this every winter. The trails are closed way more than open. It is just the way it is. It is the State.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #31 - 01/23/15 at 1:55am
Print Post  
You're right Tom, it happens every year. When the trails get wet and the freeze-thaw happens, the trails don't really dry out. I rode NM this evening and it was pretty soft in spots. I guess we'll just have to be patient! There are lots of miles at LNSP and it takes a lot of time to maintain 30 miles of trail. I've ask for help before and how many volunteers show up? Myself and Warren. I am going to schedule some more workdays- let's see how many folks show up?

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #32 - 01/23/15 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
it does seem with all those mile and all the loops. Why not close the trail for the winter,and open one. Such as wild life,as a winter trail. Or alternate different trails in the winter to minimize impact. It's kind of a bummer when you live in the northern counties, and can't ride a good trail. While seeing most of the Charlotte trails open.  Angry Sad

GTalk  
IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #33 - 01/23/15 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 01/22/15 at 5:45pm:
Almost 1 PM and the state park is still not open. For the record whoever makes the call on opening the trails is a DB. Not to be confused with a defensive back or a Dingell Barry. Although I'm sure an excellent and competent park ranger in every other aspect.

I'm sure the rangers would love to have you say that to them in person...

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Pulling60
Coaster Bike

Reply #34 - 01/24/15 at 1:09am
Print Post  
BigBikeMike wrote on 01/23/15 at 1:55am:
You're right Tom, it happens every year. When the trails get wet and the freeze-thaw happens, the trails don't really dry out. I rode NM this evening and it was pretty soft in spots. I guess we'll just have to be patient! There are lots of miles at LNSP and it takes a lot of time to maintain 30 miles of trail. I've ask for help before and how many volunteers show up? Myself and Warren. I am going to schedule some more workdays- let's see how many folks show up?

No one wants to ride more than I, but the rangers have a great track record, and if Mike agrees we should be patient....  well, that's gospel in my book!

73   Cool

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #35 - 01/26/15 at 1:12am
Print Post  
You do know the rangers carry guns!!?

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #36 - 01/26/15 at 4:27am
Print Post  
BigBikeMike wrote on 01/26/15 at 1:12am:
You do know the rangers carry guns!!?

Worse! They have a citation book and an ink pen.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #37 - 01/26/15 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Which do they do first? Shoot and write the citation? Or write the citation first?  Wink

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #38 - 01/27/15 at 3:37am
Print Post  
The rangers would write you a ticket and would never pull a weapon on you. I think you know I was kidding.

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #39 - 01/27/15 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
You are definitely right Mike. My bad for the DB comment. A case of DSB (Dangerous Singletrack Backup) I guess. But don't think they don't take their firearms seriously. Casey ushered me and a friend out of Monbo a couple of years back for blowing leaves. We were there at request of a TB member who didn't realize that blowing wasn't approved. The attitude the ranger had was crazy aggressive towards two dudes in Carharts running blowers. Hand on pistol harshing on us like we were criminals. "What do you think your doing!?" Seemed pretty obvious to me, but maybe there have been past incidents of violent leaf blowers but... He never let up even after I pointed out that there were 3 messages on the park machine from me regarding the work.   That said, the rangers are all good guys and their heaters are not props.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Print