Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hope for Saturday? (Read 1063 times)
asuprice
Small Cog

Go Mountaineers!!

Hope for Saturday?
02/18/15 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Is there any chance of trails being open this weekend?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

matthoag
Coaster Bike

Re: Hope for Saturday?
Reply #1 - 02/18/15 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
close to zero.  with the freeze thaw in effect the moisture is just going to stay in the ground.  Add in the forecasted rain for Sunday, and it will be a couple of weeks (minimum) before things straighten out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

RobP
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 02/18/15 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Uwharrie or maybe RRT Saturday morning.  The only good news is, nothing other than something sitting in a very sunny area is going to thaw before Saturday.

IP Logged

Watcher
Little Ring

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 02/18/15 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Deal is with RRT I'm leaving it as "open" to ride while frozen. When temps return to normal freeze thaw I'll close it cause it will be a mess. I haven't had time to check out the bridges or other parts of the trail. I'd be very cautious on any of the longer bridges that are not straight shots across. I'll update what I see Friday.

Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #4 - 02/19/15 at 12:49am
Print Post  
With weather like this, better to stick to p0rn:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RumbleOn

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 02/19/15 at 2:08am
Print Post  
I'll be hitting Poston this weekend for sure.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #6 - 02/19/15 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Watcher wrote on 02/18/15 at 11:43pm:
Deal is with RRT I'm leaving it as "open" to ride while frozen. When temps return to normal freeze thaw I'll close it cause it will be a mess. I haven't had time to check out the bridges or other parts of the trail. I'd be very cautious on any of the longer bridges that are not straight shots across. I'll update what I see Friday.

No reason why all other trails should not follow this same practice.  Thanks Steve for all that you do.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #7 - 02/19/15 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 02/19/15 at 1:21pm:

No reason why all other trails should not follow this same practice.  Thanks Steve for all that you do.

They do, in a way.  It's easier to for me to post Fisher as closed and tell everyone if it's frozen to ride it.  With the temps fluctuating it can get messy in a hurry when the sun starts hitting the ground.   

BTW Fisher is closed but it's frozen so go ride it.   Not supposed to be above 25F today, anyway. 

Smiley

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 02/21/15 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Hey Steve - is there a lot of ice still on your trails or is it just frozen dirt?  I was planning on a BYT ride tomorrow morning but after worker-rider's report of all the ice I'm not going to bother.  I'll ride frozen ground all day long but ice freaks the crap out of me.

IP Logged

Watcher
Little Ring

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 02/21/15 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Yes I believe there is in areas. Some of the thawed places this afternoon were getting bad with a lot of rutting. The parking area is shaded and has that real slick hardness to it. Crunchy snow is one thing but a lot has that mirror finish look.

Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #10 - 02/21/15 at 1:56am
Print Post  
I might give it a shot in the morning if I can get out early enough for a lap or two before temps creep above freezing.  Thanks Steve!

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 02/21/15 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Watcher wrote on 02/21/15 at 12:11am:
Yes I believe there is in areas. Some of the thawed places this afternoon were getting bad with a lot of rutting. The parking area is shaded and has that real slick hardness to it. Crunchy snow is one thing but a lot has that mirror finish look.

I rode yesterday afternoon and most of the trail in the woods was ice.  You need to be careful as there is a couple of places that are really slick going down hill with a turn at the bottom.  I took a couple of spills but learned pretty fast when to drop a foot down on the inside of a turn to help keep the bike from washing out.   

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print