Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic "Break in" period for I9 wheels - tensiometer? (Read 762 times)
Ridefour15
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

"Break in" period for I9 wheels - tensiometer?
02/25/15 at 1:03am
Print Post  
I9 suggests retensioning all spokes after the first 4-6 hours or so of riding, at which point the spokes have all bedded in to the rim.  All the steps for truing and tightening sound fine up until the spoke tensions to be checked with a meter.  Is that part really necessary if the spokes are tight and the wheel is true?

For history of my experience: I've built a few BMX wheels, straightened some minor wobbles on all types of wheels, replaced broken spokes and got the wheel true again...but I've never used a tensiometer and I'd rather not spend $70 on one that'd hardly ever get used. No intentions on becoming a wheelbuilder here.

I tried searching other forums and it's the typical mix of I9 praise and bashing, but no one gets into details about retensioning.  Some simply say they had it done by a shop, others say they've been running wheels for years without them going out of true, and yet others claim all the spokes went so loose they could hand tighten them and I9 is the worst (it's always the extreme ends of the spectrum, isn't it?).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

DrewK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: "Break in" period for I9 wheels - tensiometer?
Reply #1 - 02/25/15 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Plenty of people on here with tensiometers.  If you want to make the trek to Statesville you're welcome to mine.  Hopefully someone closer to you will step up.

It's a good sanity check.  But you can be - surprisingly - accurate with the old tried n true pluck-the-spoke method, if you have a good wheel to compare to.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #2 - 02/25/15 at 2:26am
Print Post  
I would recommend having them checked on a gauge once you give them a few good beatings. That being said I have had 3 sets of them and haven't had to do much to them. Its normally an 1/8 to 1/4 turn when I checked them the first time then just a little maintenance after that. I have had one spoke loosen to the point I could turn it with a finger but that has happened to other wheels I have had to so I don't blame I9 for it. If you don't want to go the gauge route you can always do the check by hand and make sure they are all close.  my .02cents

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #3 - 02/25/15 at 3:17am
Print Post  
I've built several sets, so far none have had to have any major adjustments after the initial build.   I have seen other sets that had to have some attention after being being built. That doesn't mean I'm doing anything special. 

I think a lot of that comes down to how well they are stress relieved when they are built. The more time you spend on it, the more likely you can bed the spokes in by hand and remove any residual twists or stretching issues.
« Last Edit: 02/25/15 at 3:19am by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #4 - 02/25/15 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
The pre-built I-9 wheel sets typically need to be re-tensioned after their initial building and ride time. I think it has to do with the alloy spokes.  I would recommend using a tension meter as plucking on their aluminum spokes may not give you appropriate tension.  It typically is about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn for each spoke but that depends on how much tension they've lost.  

I'll rent you the use of the truing stand and tension meter if you'd like.  Like some really nice craft beer (no IPA, Pale Ale or Imperial Stout, please) Wink  Or a bottle of Cruzan Spiced Rum for the ABC store. Smiley

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

collin_i
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 04/07/15 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 02/25/15 at 9:12pm:
...Like some really nice craft beer (no IPA, Pale Ale or Imperial Stout, please)

Oops. Sorry. I just saw this. Next time!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print