Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 11 spd shimano conversion? (Read 1115 times)
FredRubble
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

11 spd shimano conversion?
05/03/15 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
So Shimano has an affordable 11 spd cassette now... could I convert with just chain, cassette and rear shifter using my existing 10 sod XT clutch derailleur?

Seems like an affordable option... If it will work... The indexing is in the shifter and the range of travel on the rear deer is the same right?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Gravitythief76
In The Loop
Project Board

Just say no to Man-dex

Re: 11 spd shimano conversion?
Reply #1 - 05/03/15 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Not out yet. No eta given on release. Im waiting too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'M STILL ALIVE!!!!

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 05/03/15 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Ahh...didn't realize it wasn't out...I'm not in a big hurry...I've got the pie plate cog on the 1x10

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 05/04/15 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
The new XT 11 speed will be releasing in August.

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 05/04/15 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
So can I get by with just a new rear shifter and cassette/Chain?

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 05/04/15 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
FredRubble wrote on 05/04/15 at 3:27pm:
So can I get by with just a new rear shifter and cassette/Chain?

If I had to guess, no.  I have no basis say that other than the 9 speed derailleur doesn't work with a 10 speed.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #6 - 05/05/15 at 11:46am
Print Post  
I would guess no also.  The pull ratio on the shifter was different on all the recent 1X11's

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #7 - 05/05/15 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Cool...Good thing is it looks like the new xt will be relatively affordable s not much out if I sell the 10 SPD stuff and roll it in to an 11 SPD set up...I just don't feel like I get the best chain wrap with the extended cog on 1x10...

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 05/09/15 at 12:38am
Print Post  
I'm currently running a Wolf Tooth GC42 on my 10 speed set-up, but whenever that wears out I'm going to consider going 1x11 with either Shimano XT or with Sram's GX.   

Sram was on the right track pushing 1x11 as strong as they did, but offering only the 10-42 that required a new driver (XD) was a huge mistake.  So glad Shimano is releasing standard 11-42 that works on a regular 10 speed driver!

IP Logged

Clinton
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 05/12/15 at 2:05am
Print Post  
That 10t cog makes a big difference in whether or not you can drop another ring size up front but I agree the Shimano setup being a driect swap out on the hub makes it more appealing.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #10 - 05/12/15 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Ridefour15 wrote on 05/09/15 at 12:38am:

Sram was on the right track pushing 1x11 as strong as they did, but offering only the 10-42 that required a new driver (XD) was a huge mistake.  So glad Shimano is releasing standard 11-42 that works on a regular 10 speed driver!

Not sure if it was a mistake but I do agree there was A LOT of engineering just to get a 10 tooth gear. Just curious on how often you need the 10. I really have not got a stake in it either way. I still use a triple on the front and see no reason to rid myself of it.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #11 - 05/12/15 at 10:31am
Print Post  
SRAM's real technology is in the design of the rear derailleur. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Clinton
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 05/12/15 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 05/12/15 at 2:17am:

Just curious on how often you need the 10. I really have not got a stake in it either way. 

32/10 is about the same as 36/11.  I have a 1x10 with the 42t cog and a 32 up front.  Compared to the average rider id consider myself at a very good fitness level.....There are very few instances on the trail where I gear out but it does happen and I would love to drop to a 30t for long days in pisgah or to be more "social" on long climbs and at that point the 11 isnt enough. 

All things considered I love the simplicity and dont believe ill go back to a front derailleur. 

One tooth doesn't sound like much but its a big difference.   10-42 is a much bigger range than 11-42.  The question is always how much $ is it worth to you.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 05/13/15 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 05/12/15 at 2:17am:

Not sure if it was a mistake but I do agree there was A LOT of engineering just to get a 10 tooth gear. Just curious on how often you need the 10. I really have not got a stake in it either way. I still use a triple on the front and see no reason to rid myself of it.

I should elaborate more: the 10t cog wasn't the mistake, but offering ONLY the cassette with 10t cog was.   I've seen lots of people online running XTR cassettes with XX1 and X01 shifter/derailleur setups, and I'm sure the same will happen with XT.

Even with Sram's GX coming up with a slightly cheaper cassette than what they have now for XX1/XO1 you still need the XD driver, which adds significantly to the cost of an upgrade.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print