Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A good word for Crank Brothers (Read 1189 times)
AgentRuss
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

A good word for Crank Brothers
05/16/15 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Just wanted to put in a good word for the excellent customer service I received from Crank Brothers. 

I was riding at Sherman a week ago when my Crack Brothers Mallet broke off at the spindle. 

When a fellow rider saw me walking out of the trail with the snapped pedal in my hand he recommended I reach out to Crack Brothers to see if they would warranty it.

I didn't think they would, considering the pedals were over 2 years old... but thought it was worth a try. 

Emailed them and sent a picture... Didn't ask about the age... they just shipped a new set to me right away!

Great customer service should be rewarded! I've always been a fan of their pedals... but now Crank Brothers has a customer for life!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Mallet.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Re: A good word for Crank Brothers
Reply #1 - 05/16/15 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
They need it seeing how often their stuff breaks.  Grin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #2 - 05/18/15 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Yup I ran a set of Crank Brothers Candies (resin body) from 2003 to 2012. Through Copper Canyon, in MX, White Rim Trail in UT, All over AZ, NV and around here. Several thousand miles. Had to clean and lube the spindle and body a dozen times. Finally they just would not rebuild because they were worn out. Just is no quality any more. Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #3 - 05/19/15 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Cool that Crank Bros did the right thing and replaced it. Customer service is as important as quality.

But look at the pic... interesting corrosion pattern. Looks like there was a flaw in the crank spindle right where the threads start. Only about 30% of the metal was intact.

BTW... why aren't more spindles replaceable? Too expensive?

IP Logged

azcanc
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 05/19/15 at 3:20am
Print Post  
This is Aaron. This one who spoke to you in Sherman parking lot. Congrats on the new pedals....I told you it would work. Smiley 

Regards. Aaron

BOOM, DONE!

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 05/19/15 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Crank Bro's gets a bad rep.  Everyone that has a bad experience gets on and talks trash, but all the people that are happy and have no problems are out on the trail riding and having fun. Wink  I've had two sets of the BASE model Egg Beater1's that I've put quite a few miles on and had zero problems.  I bought the first set just to see if I like them and just kept putting miles on them just to see how long they'd go.  It's obvious that CB has had some issues, but I guess the point is not every single set of CB's is going to fail the moment you get out on the trail...

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

DursRemote
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 05/19/15 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
abruzzopat wrote on 05/19/15 at 12:05am:
Cool that Crank Bros did the right thing and replaced it. Customer service is as important as quality.

But look at the pic... interesting corrosion pattern. Looks like there was a flaw in the crank spindle right where the threads start. Only about 30% of the metal was intact.

BTW... why aren't more spindles replaceable? Too expensive?

Actually that picture represents a very common failure mode for rods in torsional loading: fatigue. What happened was a small crack initiated at the surface of the spindle, and over time as the rider rode the bike, the crack propagated around the circumference. This happened very slowly over time, because as more and more of the steel spindle was exposed to air, it changed color as it rusted. The crack grew and grew until there wasn't enough material left to handle the rider, and what was left of the spindle broke all at once. This is the shiny silver portion, which hasn't had time to rust yet. 
Good on them for taking care of their customer.

IP Logged

PainkillerSPE
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 05/19/15 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
The older crank brother pedals were awesome. I have a pair of stainless steel eggbeaters that are still going strong. I purchased some of the newly redesigned candies about 3 years ago and they failed within a few months. I also have a set of their 26 inch wheels that are great as well. 

rob wrote on 05/01/12 at 6:01pm:
Shearing the shaft member after a hard ride is acceptable in my book.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #8 - 05/19/15 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
flynbryan19 wrote on 05/19/15 at 1:14pm:
Crank Bro's gets a bad rep.  Everyone that has a bad experience gets on and talks trash, but all the people that are happy and have no problems are out on the trail riding and having fun. Wink  I've had two sets of the BASE model Egg Beater1's that I've put quite a few miles on and had zero problems.  I bought the first set just to see if I like them and just kept putting miles on them just to see how long they'd go.  It's obvious that CB has had some issues, but I guess the point is not every single set of CB's is going to fail the moment you get out on the trail...

That may be true but when was the last time you saw an axle brake on an SPD pedal?  Yes, they have great customer service.  I've just never been a fan of their designs for everything else.  Do like the pedal design, though.  Kinda like a Time ATAC pedal.  

Smiley

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 05/19/15 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Aren't shimano pedals arguably one of the best in the buisness?  I can find the first post talking about time pedal failures too.

Just to put it out there, I have no horse in the race.  I'm joe NOBODY and have no sponsors or anything.  Just a recreational dude out to have a good time.  I'm just trying to point out that everything can fail.  I just think sometimes people get on the internetz and jump on band wagons.  I don't doubt one bit that CB has had some product failures.  I just think people try to act like it doesn't happen with other brands too. Wink

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #10 - 05/19/15 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
DursRemote wrote on 05/19/15 at 4:46pm:

Actually that picture represents a very common failure mode for rods in torsional loading: fatigue. What happened was a small crack initiated at the surface of the spindle, and over time as the rider rode the bike, the crack propagated around the circumference. This happened very slowly over time, because as more and more of the steel spindle was exposed to air, it changed color as it rusted. The crack grew and grew until there wasn't enough material left to handle the rider, and what was left of the spindle broke all at once. This is the shiny silver portion, which hasn't had time to rust yet. 
Good on them for taking care of their customer.

Agreed. But in that case, I would expect the corrosion not to appear so uniform in the cracked area. Looking closely, it seems that most of the corroded area is very uniform (suggesting it happened all at once) except a crescent-shaped area just to the upper right of the newly exposed metal.

IP Logged

AgentRuss
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 05/20/15 at 2:29am
Print Post  
azcanc wrote on 05/19/15 at 3:20am:
This is Aaron. This one who spoke to you in Sherman parking lot. Congrats on the new pedals....I told you it would work. Smiley 

Regards. Aaron

Thanks so much Aaron!!! Great call!  Smiley

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #12 - 05/20/15 at 9:28am
Print Post  
flynbryan19 wrote on 05/19/15 at 5:51pm:

Aren't shimano pedals arguably one of the best in the buisness?  I can find the first post talking about time pedal failures too.

Just to put it out there, I have no horse in the race.  I'm joe NOBODY and have no sponsors or anything.  Just a recreational dude out to have a good time.  I'm just trying to point out that everything can fail.  I just think sometimes people get on the internetz and jump on band wagons.  I don't doubt one bit that CB has had some product failures.  I just think people try to act like it doesn't happen with other brands too. Wink

While I'll concede the past problems of a run of XTR pedals, that probably represents 5% of the SPD's on the market.  All I know is what I see come through the shop and I've never seen or heard of a broken PD-M525, PD-M545 or XT pedals.  Luckily I haven't seen any broken CB pedals in a few years.  Smiley

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print