Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Rebuild or buy? (Read 829 times)
hippie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Rebuild or buy?
06/18/15 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
My wife has a 26" Medium frame Gary Fisher Sugar 3 that is a sweet ride but we bought it 12 years ago! She rides alot less now but as you can bet the rear and front shocks are shot! The bike is sweet and only weighs 29pounds (no disc though). It has XT components.

Typically she is on easier trails now and no longer races bc of our kids. LBS quotes $700 to rebuild both rear and front shock, replace tires, cassette and chain. They did try steering her towards some new hard tails that were at the same price instead. But these add about 4 more pounds and hard tail.

It's a shame to get rid of this lightweight and great riding bike. Thoughts?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Rebuild or buy?
Reply #1 - 06/18/15 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
If it was me I wouldn't put 700.00 in a 12 year old bike.  Bikes have come along way in the last 12 years.  Even with the weight penalty it would probably be a better riding bike.  You could probably get rid of you current bike and pick up a few dollars and put it towards a little bit better bike than the one for 700.00.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 06/18/15 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
The fork and shock rebuild should be in the neighborhood of $100 each unless they're something more high end than I think a Sugar 3 would have. If you need tires and can change a tire, you can pick up used tires on the forum for next to nothing. I think the bike would be worth that investment as much as you seem to like it. Do you really need the rest with minimal riding? It may take $700 to get it into pristine condition, but do you need that? 

I agree with the previous poster that the bike may not be worth $700, but I think you probably can get it in serviceable shape for much less than that and she can enjoy riding it for quite some time.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 06/18/15 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Dropping $700 in a bike that "cured" is honestly just not a wise investment.  Take that $700 and put toward a more modern bike.  I too think thats MUCH too high for a suspension service/rebuild.  I would do some more price comparing.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/18/15 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
I agree with some of the other posts here.  I would either try to find someone to service or rebuild the shock/fork for much cheaper than quoted and see if anyone here has those parts used for sale.  I would bet tires, cassettes and chains can be found easily if you ask around and maybe post on Charlotte Bike Market if you have Facebook.   

I would not buy a new bike from a bike shop at that price range.  Not unless she was a new rider trying out the sport - even then I would lean towards a used bike.  Sounds like your wife used to ride (and race?) a lot.  So a entry level bike is still entry level regardless of current tech.  She may not have the same experience she had with the Sugar at the time.  Just my opinion on that.  But if you sold her bike and invested another $700 towards a "newer" used bike then you are back in the game!

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 06/18/15 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I agree with some of the other posts here.  I would either try to find someone to service or rebuild the shock/fork for much cheaper than quoted and see if anyone here has those parts used for sale.  I would bet tires, cassettes and chains can be found easily if you ask around and maybe post on Charlotte Bike Market if you have Facebook.  

I would not buy a new bike from a bike shop at that price range.  Not unless she was a new rider trying out the sport - even then I would lean towards a used bike.  Sounds like your wife used to ride (and race?) a lot.  So a entry level bike is still entry level regardless of current tech.  She may not have the same experience she had with the Sugar at the time.  Just my opinion on that.  But if you sold her bike and invested another $700 towards a "newer" used bike then you are back in the game!       

I agree with this... Throw a grand at a gently used bike... Plenty of well to do folks try this sport and turn around and sell some very nice bikes for deep discounts... Or at least search for a close out price on a nice 29er hard tail.....

IP Logged

IdriveGT
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 06/19/15 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
If she is really attached to the bike, you may want to check out mtbsuspension experts about the rebuild for the shocks. See what that can do for you.

Remember.....Don't be Afraid of it!

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #7 - 06/19/15 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Its your money so do what you want to with it. If the bike is nostalgic to you or you just really, really like it do what you want.

My advice would be to save $200 more dollars, sell the Sugar for $200 and take the $1100 dollars and buy a really nice, gently used bike...

If she ends up not really being into riding your gonna end up being stuck with a really old bike, with alot of money dumped into it that you wont be able to sell for near what you invested in it. 

Or better yet.. for that kind of money you can buy a really nice, new hardtail and put a Thudbuster on it. 

Seriously...These posts have been around forever and are proven design that really takes out trail chatter and bumps.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 06/19/15 at 12:43pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #8 - 06/19/15 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Several nice forks on ebay for less than 100, White Bros on Craigslist for 75.  Keep your eyes open, rear shocks often sell for 50 to 100 used, but measure your old shock to make sure you get a correct replacement.  Cassette can be bought new for 30 and up, chain 10 and up.  Tires, any price you want to pay.  If you need help, PM me.  Sounds like you need to keep the cost low until you know if she wants to ride more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print