Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Chain guide for a 1x10 (Read 1249 times)
Carl Fisher
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Chain guide for a 1x10
07/28/15 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
What's a good option on a chain guide for a 1x10?  Do I really need something like the full MRP setup or will just a top guide do the trick? Just trail riding and looking to keep the chain from dropping. I don't really need the bottom bash guard portion. Needs to be bottom bracket mount though as there are no tabs on this frame.

I have no problem spending some money for the right guide, but don't want to throw away money on a design that is overkill for what I actually need.

Thanks

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Re: Chain guide for a 1x10
Reply #1 - 07/28/15 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Do you have a clutch rear mech or not?

If you do. Then I would recommend a top guide with a taco bash. If you do not have a clutched rear mech either get a full guide or get a a new mech and see option number 1. Also I have had much better luck with quality from e.13 then MRP. The new LG1 can be run with a bottom pulley or it can be removed depending on the application. 

Most guides that are ISCG 05 should come with an adapter for the BB assuming you have threaded cups. If its press fit your options are going to be limited.
« Last Edit: 07/28/15 at 11:14pm by MTBman1127 »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Carl Fisher
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 07/28/15 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
The rear is an SRAM X9 clutch. A top guide only is definitely a much less expensive option. I'll do some digging on e.13 as well.  I'm new to the 1x world and just want to make sure my bases are covered.   

Playing with it on the stand I can see where needing a guide is pretty much necessity.

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 07/29/15 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Just get a narrow wide front ring and you won't need a guide.....

IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 07/29/15 at 1:34am
Print Post  
FredRubble wrote on 07/29/15 at 12:05am:
Just get a narrow wide front ring and you won't need a guide.....

This.  I haven't dropped a chain since I went 1x10 with a raceface narrow wide, going on a full year now.

IP Logged

Mike 5
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 07/29/15 at 1:38am
Print Post  
I use a RaceFace narrow-wide, no drops. Wolftooth makes a nice ring, too.

"Bad decisions make for great stories."

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #6 - 07/29/15 at 2:30am
Print Post  
I have a brand new MRP, bottom bracket mount that I don't need.  $20 will get it.  That said, I agree with the narrow/wide setup.  It works!

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #7 - 07/29/15 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Depending on where the bike is ridden, I agree with what is said above. I have a N/W on my ex with no issues and have only dropped 1 chain in about 5 months of riding. That being said I have never ridden that bike outside of Charlotte or Raleigh. On my Remedy that sees frequent Pisgah use I have a top guide and a taco. I would never run a chainring unprotected out there from just looking at my bash I would have destroyed a chainring or two and the guide up top is extra security. If your going run a guide might as well take the extra gram or 10 and get some chainring protection is my .02cents

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates

IP Logged

Carl Fisher
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 07/29/15 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Ok, so chalk this up to my ignorance then.

The bike does have a RF narrow / wide ring on there but I didn't realize that by design it was meant to prevent chain drop. I haven't been free of a front derailleur since I was a kid riding BMX and that was obviously single speed so it wasn't an issue to worry about. When I saw this my first thought was there is nothing to catch the chain in the event of it being thrown.

I guess I'll ride it as is and see if it's even an issue to be concerned with, but from the comments above it sounds like I'm worrying for no reason.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Jason D
Coaster Bike

Swedetarded

Reply #9 - 07/29/15 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Even with an XTR Shadow and a Narrow-Wide, I would get a chain drop about once every 200Km on my Santa Cruz Nickel.  I think the growing chainstay under suspension movement makes it an extreme case, it ate through 3 XT Shadows in about 1000Km.

I picked up a cheap Orgin8 guide off eBay and problem solved.  It takes some time to tweak, but it's golden when it's right.

My hardtail has an XT Shadow and Narrow-Wide and rarely drops the chain, but it does happen.  I might pick up an Orgin8 for it too, just for security.

I will never yell Strava at you.
GTalk  
IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 07/29/15 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Another one here that has no chain guide w/ a n/w front chain ring and a clutch rederailleur.

Before I had this setup I ran a std RD and std front ring and HAD to use a chain guide.  Now no need.  Ride on sir.... Wink

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

Dirkdee
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 07/29/15 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Same set-up here too, very few dropped chains in over a year of rough riding in clt and the mountains. I do have a bash ring though which I guess might help.

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #12 - 07/29/15 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
The only other thing I would ad is to make sure your chain is sized right.... Meaning if you went from 2x or 3x to 1x you removed some links.... I've ridden hard tails and full sussers  all over nc flats and mountains and only dropped my chain once with no guide and haven't bashed my ring on anything either....I will say that I ride fairly aggressive but I'm not hitting big gaps or anything... Haven't dropped a chain at Wilson's which says a lot  Wink

IP Logged

Carl Fisher
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 08/05/15 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
No problems at all with the Race Face n/w ring on there.  I've taken some decent hits, enough to knock me into my seat and drive the post down as well as some rapid shifting and haven't had a single issue.

Much more confident in the equipment now.  Thanks all!
« Last Edit: 08/05/15 at 4:46pm by Carl Fisher »  
IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 08/07/15 at 11:39am
Print Post  
MTBman1127 wrote on 07/29/15 at 11:01am:
Depending on where the bike is ridden, I agree with what is said above. I have a N/W on my ex with no issues and have only dropped 1 chain in about 5 months of riding. That being said I have never ridden that bike outside of Charlotte or Raleigh. On my Remedy that sees frequent Pisgah use I have a top guide and a taco. I would never run a chainring unprotected out there from just looking at my bash I would have destroyed a chainring or two and the guide up top is extra security. If your going run a guide might as well take the extra gram or 10 and get some chainring protection is my .02cents

Good advice here... although OP may be alright even in pisgah w/o a chainring depending on if he is as ballsy as you  (@ MTBMan).

I have dropped my chainring ONCE since going 1X10 a few months ago... and I believe a stick or something got it b/c it was @ North Meck on a social ride... I've definitely went over a lot harsher stuff with no issue!

Don't forget to measure your chain which includes compressing your suspension if your are FS...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print