Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Dropping a SS chain (Read 634 times)
twentysprocket
Coaster Bike

Sushi Bar

Dropping a SS chain
07/30/15 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Once my chain has a little slack, the chain tends to jump off the chainring or the cog, specially when going over bumps, roots, and rocks while pedaling. Currently I have a KMC SS chain. Surly cog and chainring. 
Would switching to a narrower chain such as an 8 speed chain make for fewer problems?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

When traveling in the wilderness always take a compass. It is awkward when you have to eat your friends.

IP Logged

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Re: Dropping a SS chain
Reply #1 - 07/30/15 at 1:42am
Print Post  
How is your chain line?  How slack are we talking when it drops?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Rob M.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #2 - 07/30/15 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Why do you have slack on an ss? I tend to run mine a little loose but I still don't think I could get the chain off the teeth? Are you using non ramped chain rings?

IP Logged

SCOTT_T
Big Ring

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/30/15 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
I had the same problem on a few steel frame single speeds till Jerry made me a guide out of an old cassestte for the rear gear...................never droped another chain, and to be honest standing up climbing on a SS and pitching the chain sucks. I guess the frame flex was my problem.

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #4 - 07/30/15 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
If your using a half link with that KMC chain, you can not run a narrow wide ring.  Sounds like your chain line might not be straight.

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

twentysprocket
Coaster Bike

Sushi Bar

Reply #5 - 08/02/15 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Hardly any slack. Chain line looks straight, but that is just eyeballing it. When I adjust and move the axle back to account for chain stretch, there is hardly any slack. Once the chain gets a slight slack, as in moving up and down the width of the chain up and down, then the damn thing starts dropping.
Is eyeballing the line enough?

When traveling in the wilderness always take a compass. It is awkward when you have to eat your friends.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #6 - 08/02/15 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
If it is a 410 chain get rid of it and get a KMC 610. I can run mine so loose I can pull it off by hand but it doesn't fall off.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

twentysprocket
Coaster Bike

Sushi Bar

Reply #7 - 08/02/15 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Line was off by 4 mm; used a straight edge level. Just another lesson to not rely on eyeballing things.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print