Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic need help with chain rings and crank set (Read 366 times)
willmatic

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

need help with chain rings and crank set
08/06/15 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Looking to upgrade my chain rings and crankset. 

I have a diamondback sorrento, but the fork, stem, tires, seat posts, bars, grips, derailluer, saddle have all been upgraded and it is riding great. It is amazing what the changes can do to the overall feel of the bike. 

However, I am experiencing quite a bit of flexing with the set up i have now, and my riding partner recommended this upgrade. I completely agree, considering i stripped the stock cranks earlier in the year doing some very light riding.

However, its a 7 speed, so eventually, i will have to upgrade the rear wheel. Although, there are skeptics about the upgrades, spending 40 bucks and a little more every couple months sits much better with my fiancé then spending 2 grand on something. 

I also want to stick to 2 chain rings opposed to three. I am 6'2 245 pounds, inseam 31-21 inches. 

any thoughts or ideas for a nice upgrade but still within a reasonable non elitist budget? 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: need help with chain rings and crank set
Reply #1 - 08/10/15 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I have a used RaceFace crank set and a used TruVativ crank set, both with bottom brackets.  RaceFace is well used but started life with three rings.  TruVativ started as a SS crank, but may work for you.  Both black, both 180mm, both external bearings.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: need help with chain rings and crank set
Reply #2 - 08/22/15 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
The flex you feel is likely more the wheels than the cranks.  It's amazing how much a difference even mid-level wheels will make over wheels that come stock on entry level bikes.  Besides, any cranks that are only $40 aren't going to make much of any difference for you.

Or, just get your wheels retensioned and trued at a LBS.  Try that before replacing anything.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print