Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Leaky stems? (Read 469 times)
abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Leaky stems?
08/21/15 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Looking for some guidance...

I bought a set of Black Flag Pros about a year ago and they came "tubeless ready" all taped, etc. They have been fine until the last month or so when they began losing air around the stem seat.

I tried changing the stems, cranking them down etc. I tried adding more Stans juice and working it into the stem area... that helps for a while but the leaking starts back up.

Any ideas? Do I need to re-tape maybe?

Thanks in advance!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Leaky stems?
Reply #1 - 08/21/15 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I would bet that there is either not enough overlap on the tape or that there is poor adhesion where it overlaps.  When I tape wheels I use Gorilla brand tape and then throw a tube in the wheel overnight to make sure everything is pressed together nicely.  I've also found that cranking down the valve stems can cause them to leak a bit. I snug them down but don't overly tighten them (this could have been an isolated incident but just throwing it out there).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #2 - 08/21/15 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply. So would you recommend a complete re-tape or is it possible to "patch" the area where the stem is?

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 08/21/15 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Complete re-tape.  Take off the old tape then scrape the Stan's boogers out of the rim bed along with any adhesive the old tape left behind and wipe down with isopropyl alcohol or some dish soap and water.  Let dry and re-tape with whatever tape you prefer.  Link below has some decent instructions.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 08/21/15 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
I'd try and patch it at the valve first by running a 4 or 5 inch piece of tape over the existing tape... clean the existing tape real well with alcohol first.... poke a new hole for the valve and try it out..... That's just me though.... I'm a rule breaker but it seems to work for me Smiley......And yeah don't over tighten the valves....
« Last Edit: 08/21/15 at 5:38pm by FredRubble »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print