Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Who really rides a 27.5" ? (Read 2529 times)
JasonK
Ex Member

Re: Who really rides a 27.5" ?
Reply #20 - 12/01/15 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
How tall are you?  If you are looking at hardtails and are over a certain height I would keep it simple and stick with a 29er but that's just me.   

I'm 5'10" and ride a large 29er hardtail.  I'm just short/tall enough that I can ride either a medium or large depending on stem length and seat height.   

If you are looking at full suspension then 27.5" starts to look attractive - especially when you get beyond XC and into All Mountain bikes.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 12/01/15 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
From your list, I know a few people locally who have ridden Jamis Durango's and loved them btw.  That's a good bike for the money.  

I don't know this guy but if this bike is your size and you can get it for the price you want it is an awesome bike.  I had a Jamis Dragon for a couple years and really enjoyed it.  Steel frame too which is good.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 12/01/15 at 9:57pm by »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Wolfpack Trailblazer

Reply #22 - 12/02/15 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
MatthewR wrote on 12/01/15 at 9:31pm:

I can say for the meantime in confidence that the majority of my riding will be Anne Springs, Beatty, Sherman and some of the Carolina Thread trails and hoping as my riding gets better I can the WWC in confidence. But hitting those 4 are my major riding so the 29er is taking a lead as far as rolling over roots and more control but speed on these trails.

I ride ASC and WWC a lot, and Beatty and Sherman some.  I don't think a 29er is significant advantage over a 27.5 for these trails.

Also, I would say the blue trails at WWC, especially North and South Main, are at the same level of difficulty as Sherman and ASC.

Have you tried to demo different size bikes?

IP Logged

MatthewR

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #23 - 12/02/15 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
No demos yet... I was told it's 70 and sunny all the time in the Carolinas! I was lied to!  Grin

Demos I've found and correct me... but I'm finding "here demo this $3500 29er" and expecting it to be like my $700 bike I'm actually purchasing that's what has me but I understand the it'll give me an idea at least of what one does over the other. But isn't that like taking a Mustang GT out then buying the 6cyl base model?

Hoping this Saturday I can talk the wife into "shopping" and I can visit some LBS's and pick their brains... of course that means then "her shopping"... I can only spend some much time online doing research ya' know...

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #24 - 12/02/15 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
While you're right that a $3500 demo won't be like riding a sub-$1000 bike entirely,  I think it will let you know at least how that model fits you and its' characteristics to an extent.  You will just have to temper your expectations in regards to the overall performance of bike you buy compared to the demo.  It certainly would be better than not being able to ride one at all I think.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Reply #25 - 12/03/15 at 2:00am
Print Post  
At least you could figure out a preference between 27.5 and 29.

The Trek Store /Cool Breeze demo bikes just north of $1000.

IP Logged

Unfated

Reply #26 - 12/04/15 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Nuke wrote on 12/03/15 at 2:00am:
At least you could figure out a preference between 27.5 and 29.

The Trek Store /Cool Breeze demo bikes just north of $1000.

Is that the X-Caliber or do they carry the Superfly as a demo bike?

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Reply #27 - 12/04/15 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It doesn't look like the Superfly is in their demo fleet.  Can't hurt to ask.

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #28 - 12/04/15 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
MatthewR wrote on 12/02/15 at 8:46pm:

Demos I've found and correct me... but I'm finding "here demo this $3500 29er" and expecting it to be like my $700 bike I'm actually purchasing that's what has me but I understand the it'll give me an idea at least of what one does over the other. But isn't that like taking a Mustang GT out then buying the 6cyl base model?

It's actually more like test driving a Porsche 911 Turbo and a Ferrari 458 to decide if you want your new Ford Focus to have a turbocharged engine, or a naturally aspirated engine.

If you demo a $3500 bike, you will be sorely disappointed every time you hop on a $700 bike. Ignorance is bliss.

If you're going to demo a bike, it should be a bike you are actually considering buying, or at least the same frame and geometry. Otherwise it's kinda pointless. 

Just my 2¢
« Last Edit: 12/04/15 at 4:58pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

MatthewR

Reply #29 - 12/08/15 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
BudLeach wrote on 12/04/15 at 4:55pm:

It's actually more like test driving a Porsche 911 Turbo and a Ferrari 458 to decide if you want your new Ford Focus to have a turbocharged engine, or a naturally aspirated engine.

If you demo a $3500 bike, you will be sorely disappointed every time you hop on a $700 bike. Ignorance is bliss.

If you're going to demo a bike, it should be a bike you are actually considering buying, or at least the same frame and geometry. Otherwise it's kinda pointless. 

Just my 2¢

Agreed! That was pretty much my thoughts as well...

The 27.5" isn't completely out for me actually even considering the Giant Talon 27.5

I like the Jamis I've been looking at and the LBS that can order them were awesome with my questions, I just hate to buy something I haven't ridden and be unhappy but I'm thinking between the Jamis Durango Expert, Specialized Rockhopper, and the Talon in my price range they're all going to be about the same... I'm guessing anyways, with frame and components

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print