Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Frameskinz install - long post (Read 310 times)
DK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Frameskinz install - long post
12/01/15 at 2:41am
Print Post  
After getting my new SC Tallboy I decided to see if there was a product that would help minimize any nicks or scars to the carbon frame that can come from my inevitable crashes.  After doing some searching on this forum and others I found the Frameskinz product from Australia.  Some of you are familiar with it, but for those that aren't, it is basically an adhesive film that works to protect against scuffs and nicks that can come from typical mtb use.

Frameskinz makes a kit specifically for the 2014/2015 SC Tallboy Carbon frame and since the 2016 that I have is essentially the same frame I ordered that kit.  About 10 days later the mailman dropped off a tube with the kit and instructions inside.  Since my kit was custom cut for the Tallboy, the pieces were already cut and sized for the various areas to be covered.  The different sections all come on a large white backing and are damn near impossible to make out on the backing except in good light.  The individual pieces unfortunately weren't labeled so I had to study them against the diagram and determine what went where.  After putting my bike on the stand and getting a bucket of warm soapy water I was ready to go.

It is recommended to not only wash the bike (obviously) but to also use rubbing alcohol to make sure it is squeaky clean before installing any pieces.  I also removed the rear wheel to make getting to the rear of the seat tube easier.  Except for the top tube piece, all others were in smaller sections that were easy to work with.  The only issue I had was with the top tube piece.  I don't know if the cable stops are in a slightly different location on the 2016 vs 2015 model, but I had to mount the top tube piece a little farther back than I think it is supposed to go.  I ended up having to cut about 1 inch of the end by the seat tube.  You can make out the line in the photo where the top tube section is about 1-1/2 inches from the headset.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Other sections that got covered were the bottom of the downtube, back of the seat tube and rear triangles and head tube.  There were also several generic square and oval pieces that could be put wherever cable rub or something like that make occur.  Installation was fairly painless and should be as long as you are patient and make sure everything lines up correctly.  Frameskinz does a good job of making sure you can mate pieces together correctly by putting notches in adjoining pieces that you line up during installation.  Pieces that get installed on curved areas have notches cut in them to make the piece sit flush.

Since my bike has the matte carbon finish I got the Matte Clear Frameskinz kit and unless you are up close to the bike in good light you would never know it's there.  The only disappointment I have is that there weren't sections to cover the sides of their downtube, just the bottom of it.  I may order their generic strips to cover that.  I know to some the thought of doing something like this to a mountain bike is absurd.  But, I figure given the investment in the bike a hundred bucks to try and protect it a bit is worthwhile.  I've already field tested it and it works as advertised so far.  If anyone considers doing this PM me if you want more detailed info.

Practically invisible

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

LooseCannon2

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Frameskinz install - long post
Reply #1 - 12/01/15 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Looks great DK! Thanks for the post. I thought I was the only one who likes to keep my mtn bike lookin' purdy.  I got my new SC Bronson C a couple weeks ago and installed an InvisiFrame kit on it last week.  It appears to be the same type of product as the Frameskinz, so InvisiFrame must be a competitor out of the UK.  It took me around 4 hours to complete the install.  The InvisiFrame kit came with a couple diagrams with names for each piece and shows where to place them on the frame.  My kit however didn't have notches to help line up the sections as you described.  I just eyeballed it but it still looks good.  If I have time, I'll take a few photos to post as well.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print