Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anyone Ride @ Riverwalk? (Read 4012 times)
Skaufma0
Coaster Bike

Anyone Ride @ Riverwalk?
01/14/16 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Anyone ride at the Piedmont Medical Trail in Riverwalk in Rock Hill, SC?

I live near there and I'm always looking for an excuse to get out on it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
2000 Gary Fisher Mamba

IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Re: Anyone Ride @ Riverwalk?
Reply #1 - 01/14/16 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Me!  I ride there quite often.  I hope to hit it this weekend sometime if it doesn't rain too much tomorrow.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Ephesians 5:11 Have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

IP Logged

Skaufma0
Coaster Bike

Reply #2 - 01/14/16 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I just got a bunch of goodies for Christmas I'm anxious to try out this weekend, so yeah hopefully it doesn't rain too much. I tried to head out on Monday and 500' in it was soupy as hell so had to turn around.

2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
2000 Gary Fisher Mamba

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Wolfpack Trailblazer

Reply #3 - 01/15/16 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I do.  Its a good trail and I rarely see anyone on it.  My rule for rain is if Anne Springs is open, I'll ride Riverwalk.

IP Logged

TechCNC

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 01/17/16 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
I ride it all the time and have been trying to keep it draining well. The bulldozers are starting to roll through part of it Cry (just after the cedar bridge) so I need to talk to the developer to find out if it still makes sense to try to salvage that part of the trail.   

I say ride it while it's still there.

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 01/22/16 at 3:29am
Print Post  
I just rode it today.  They have clipped one switchback but I don't think there will be anymore encroachment.  Do you know something different?

IP Logged

Skaufma0
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 01/22/16 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
I ride it 3 or 4 times a week, but I've never seen any issues with the bulldozers coming on the trail. I may just not be on the right section for that though. I ride the black trail that comes up past the old Carhartt place.

2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
2000 Gary Fisher Mamba

IP Logged

TechCNC

Reply #7 - 01/22/16 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I was the 6th resident here in Riverwalk, although I knew that the MTB Trail would be reduced to a lame couple miles parallel to the greenway I was hoping the existing trail would last a bit longer.  Guess I'd better shave my legs and get ready for that $400K crit track Wink  Or reverse the wheel size trend and back to 20" for BMX.

Eventually everything above the sewer easement will be houses, it's just a matter of time.  If you look at the map

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

the neighborhood labeled "M" is where most of the trail now is. The only things that won't get developed are the toxic waste storage areas.

The survey cut they made down to the creek is just the start.

So like I said, ride it while it's still there.  I'll be out there tomorrow keeping warmed up for Winter Short Track Cheesy.

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 01/23/16 at 1:46am
Print Post  
TechCNC wrote on 01/22/16 at 11:40pm:

So like I said, ride it while it's still there.  I'll be out there tomorrow keeping warmed up for Winter Short Track Cheesy

Uhg, you ruined my mood for the weekend.  I'm surprised as Riverwalk is such a pro-bike community.  At least now I don't feel bad about parking in the new residential area and taking the "back" entrance into the trails to avoid the greenway.

IP Logged

Skaufma0
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 01/23/16 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Nuke wrote on 01/23/16 at 1:46am:

At least now I don't feel bad about parking in the new residential area and taking the "back" entrance into the trails to avoid the greenway.

Shocked Where is this?! I'd kill just to be able to skip that nonsense mile or more.

2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
2000 Gary Fisher Mamba

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 01/23/16 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
I hated that mile.  The wasted time it added to my ride plus having to deal with walkers who don't know what to do when you say "on your left."  Not their fault, I'm just used to MUT with more experienced pedestrians.

The easiest way to find it is by bike.  When you take the entrance on the access road off the greenway, don't take the left into the trails.  Go straight and you will find a drainage pond.  Take a right around that and you will hit a construction silt fence.  Follow that to the right and you will find the new construction.

To find it by car, go towards the BMX track.  After you pass the dog park, on your left will be a "New Phase"--there's a big sign.  Go into the new phase.  Take your first right.  On your right there is one house then a long stretch of no houses, and then house again.  In that stretch, there are some berms.  Ride over those berms, veer to the left find the silt fence, follow that to the left to the irrigation pond, follow that around, and you will find the access road.

Its hard to park as the streets are narrow and there is a lot of construction vehicles.  Unlike them, I try to find an actual parking space.

IP Logged

TechCNC

Reply #11 - 01/23/16 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
was good out there this morning when still frozen, found one deep puddle after the drop off up by the BMX track.  I imagine it will be a mess now that it's warmed up.  if it gets cold enough tonight it might be ok tomorrow a.m.

IP Logged

Skaufma0
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 01/23/16 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Nuke wrote on 01/23/16 at 2:18pm:
I hated that mile.  The wasted time it added to my ride plus having to deal with walkers who don't know what to do when you say "on your left."  Not their fault, I'm just used to MUT with more experienced pedestrians.

The easiest way to find it is by bike.  When you take the entrance on the access road off the greenway, don't take the left into the trails.  Go straight and you will find a drainage pond.  Take a right around that and you will hit a construction silt fence.  Follow that to the right and you will find the new construction.

To find it by car, go towards the BMX track.  After you pass the dog park, on your left will be a "New Phase"--there's a big sign.  Go into the new phase.  Take your first right.  On your right there is one house then a long stretch of no houses, and then house again.  In that stretch, there are some berms.  Ride over those berms, veer to the left find the silt fence, follow that to the left to the irrigation pond, follow that around, and you will find the access road.

Its hard to park as the streets are narrow and there is a lot of construction vehicles.  Unlike them, I try to find an actual parking space.

Awesome, thanks for that. I'm on Dunkins Ferry so I'm on that trail all the time. Still haven't ridden all of it though. I'm hoping I can get out again when the bike comes back from the shop.

2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
2000 Gary Fisher Mamba

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 01/24/16 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Nuke wrote on 01/23/16 at 2:18pm:

Updated directions.  Once you turn into the new phase and take a right, there is more than one house on the right.  There are about 8 lots total.  In any case, there is a stretch without any lots.  That is where the berms are.

IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #14 - 03/05/16 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Just rode Riverwalk...the last "big" climb that went up past where the deer-stand used to be & the ensuing downhill to the creek are gone diddly gone.  That whole section was the crown jewel of the trail & it will be sorely missed.  Hopefully the developers will not be taking anymore trail.
😠
« Last Edit: 03/05/16 at 7:39pm by DavidM »  

Ephesians 5:11 Have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Reply #15 - 03/11/16 at 3:51am
Print Post  
I rode it last Friday and was so upset--that was one of the best parts.  Its too short now and not set up well to do laps. It may be a while before I go back.

My mtb soul was uplifted by the new trails at WWC and the potential at Dixie River.

IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #16 - 03/23/16 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Rode Riverwalk yesterday...no additional trail loss.  Conditions were excellent, trail mileage is now 6mi.  Still worth the drive for me since its so close.

IP Logged

Skaufma0
Coaster Bike

Reply #17 - 04/04/16 at 4:34am
Print Post  
DavidM wrote on 03/23/16 at 3:01pm:
Rode Riverwalk yesterday...no additional trail loss.  Conditions were excellent, trail mileage is now 6mi.  Still worth the drive for me since its so close.

Okay good I'm glad. I haven't ridden since early February so I was hoping it wouldn't be a total loss. I've yet to go to the WWC, but I'm planning on going in the next couple of weeks. 

Anyone know if the trail off of Poplar Tent Rd up near Concord is still there? I haven't been there in 10 years.

2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
2000 Gary Fisher Mamba

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 04/05/16 at 12:10am
Print Post  
The Poplar Tent trail closed a while back.  I'm not sure when exactly but someone else can surely chime in on that.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

Skaufma0
Coaster Bike

Reply #19 - 04/07/16 at 5:55am
Print Post  
DK wrote on 04/05/16 at 12:10am:
The Poplar Tent trail closed a while back.  I'm not sure when exactly but someone else can surely chime in on that.

Damn...that was an awesome trail. I always enjoyed that one. Guess I'll have to find a new favorite!

2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
2000 Gary Fisher Mamba

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print